Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 - by Kevin - July 2021 - finished March 2022

5 hours ago, Canute said:

Stagecoach looking good, Kevin

And the dollhouses look good, too, What scale are they? I have a buddy here who used to build upscale furniture for these houses in I think 1/12 scale. He used the furniture catalogs from a home named Winterthur, outside Philadelphia, PA. Built clocks, dining room sets; he's was prolific with the furniture.

good morning, its all 1/12, i personally dont get involved in the internal side of things, i will build the kits up if asked and sort the electrics out,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

good evening everyone

4 wheels on my wagon (well not quite on but complete), tonight i made the outer wheel bandings

the chassis which was stripped down yesterday, was primed and now has a new coat on, pin strips well complete it 

at present i am rebuilding it, looks better than before, but even further removed from what it should look like

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

good evening everyone

the chassis continues, a lot more banding has gone in, and whilst brass at present i may take it to black before completion

the suspension was put back on and then had a bit of fun with the through braces, which were made from leather straps, the kits asks you yo make them from wooden strips, i went my own way and used face mask elastic strapping, and clamped them in place with brass strips, the height above the chassis may be to high but no weight on there yet

the elastic was coloured using a Flory black wash

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

That is looking so nice Kevin.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just a question Kevin, I think your idea of using elastic for the leather suspension gives a very real action to the suspension... have you figured a way to deal with the rubber in those elastics when it dries out and breaks? My suggestion, while you are at this point, is to thread a thin brass wire or two through each elastic, so when the rubber dries out and breaks, the nylon covering and wire will hold them together and the dead rubber will serve as a filler to let them keep their shape?

I would hate to see all that beautiful work fail in a few years...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

good to see your back working on the coach!  :)   the chassis and wheels look very good........a very cheerful color.  so when the occupants are ticked off by the erratic ride.....just stop and tell 'em to look at the chassis  ;)    {look at the flowers Lizzie}!

it might not be that dramatic.......what he's using is woven with fabric.  it will tend to sag over time,  but it will take longer to completely fail.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

21 hours ago, Egilman said:

Just a question Kevin, I think your idea of using elastic for the leather suspension gives a very real action to the suspension... have you figured a way to deal with the rubber in those elastics when it dries out and breaks? My suggestion, while you are at this point, is to thread a thin brass wire or two through each elastic, so when the rubber dries out and breaks, the nylon covering and wire will hold them together and the dead rubber will serve as a filler to let them keep their shape?

I would hate to see all that beautiful work fail in a few years...

i had considered putting something under the coach to take the weight, but i like the wire idea

17 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

good to see your back working on the coach!  :)   the chassis and wheels look very good........a very cheerful color.  so when the occupants are ticked off by the erratic ride.....just stop and tell 'em to look at the chassis  ;)    {look at the flowers Lizzie}!

it might not be that dramatic.......what he's using is woven with fabric.  it will tend to sag over time,  but it will take longer to completely fail.

thanks popeye

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

thank you for comments and likes

the coach looked awful (in my eyes, so i decided to do something about it

removed all door and widow frames and the top panelling between the windows, as that never looked right from day one, 

fine grade sandpaper and took the upper coats of varnish off, washed down and then a varnish 50/50 white spirit wash applied 

the door frames and windows are now fitted on one side 

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

You nailed it.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

good evening everyone

most of the main coach body work is done now, a few pretty strips still to be added

i may have to rethink the suspension straps, they are very springy and quite saggy

the door hinges are on well the rebates are done  (they will not be opening) 

i used a bit of tape to hold the drivers cab in position, the glue in the coach is to offset the front weight

nothing is fixed yet

IMG_2766.thumb.JPG.0a1e3e548c82e1c2ccb58d299c61893e.JPGIMG_2767.thumb.JPG.367bbee7092dd22e14f2ba5d8a181c31.JPGIMG_2768.thumb.JPG.39567031de7058e98ab84c5937382cb9.JPGIMG_2769.thumb.JPG.464cf35d7e84c8db280672b09f7f6033.JPGIMG_2770.thumb.JPG.630b5acbdceafb6090f831aea9d3da50.JPGIMG_2771.thumb.JPG.fe4b1b3e8ccea808b5b598462ad0eadd.JPGIMG_2772.thumb.JPG.f625047f4da6ed9b816177ecf3363ff2.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

i may have to rethink the suspension straps, they are very springy and quite saggy

Hi Kevin, if you do decide to replace them, the 1946 Popular Mechanics Overland Stage model, (1/12th scale scratchbuilt) recommended using leather shoelaces, you can get them wide enough (at least you could back in '48) and one pair is more than long enough... They would have to be shaved for thickness down to the tanned side and overlapped.. the shackles would fit in their appropriate places so it would look the same and the ends in the middle where they meet put on the top side so they are hidden next to the coach body...

It looks natural and real when done... (you can also bury the wire support inside them as well just in case) The leather will accept hide glue or white glue and be very secure...

The coach work is brilliant the carriage work is excellent, it's going to be a real masterpiece when done...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

I have just been looking at a faux-leather jacket. It is made of a black vinyl about 1mm thick and it probably would do for the suspension without any issues of fading or weakening with age.  (The Admiral would not be sympathetic to any request to slice a bit off so I can only suggest, not supply!)  Haven't checked but I'm pretty sure some sunglass cases are made of similar stuff, hope this helps.

It is looking good.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hmm.... need to stiffen it up a bit then.   Just musing here, would thin CA brushed on one side and the coated with flat clear or flat shellac work?  The catch is that it would prevent all movement and possibly be somewhat fragile.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thank you for the comments, i will look at the shoelace and leather ideas

mark i feel i would run into all sorts of problems and get very messy doing that, i had to cut a piece of wood of the dog yesterday and that was just with wood glue lol

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good afternoon everyone

put some go faster stripes on, as i bring this side to completion

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

That is looking so nice  Kevin, the wood detailing is really sharp  - and the varnish makes it  Pop.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is looking so nice  Kevin, the wood detailing is really sharp  - and the varnish makes it  Pop.

OC.

Thank you OC, i was wondering where you were, you both ok?

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I'm with OC on liking the coach. The varnish reals works. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Thank you OC, i was wondering where you were, you both ok?

We are Ok  mate,   im still  plodding on with my  M1  kit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

look'in really sweet Kevin.  you can also do a browse in your local craft stores.   you might find leather strip in rolls,  or you may be able to find bags of leather odds and ends pieces

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

good evening everyone

thank you for comments and likes, i will get back to you 

@popeye the sailor @Canute @Old Collingwood

the great fence repair has taken me away from the build for the last few days, sorted for now, the rest can wait for warmer days

the pretty strips are done both sides now and has all had another coat of varnish

last night was spent making up one of the two mail pouches

the previous night doing the trunk

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG

IMG_2813.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

made up the supports to take the weight of the seats

IMG_2821.thumb.JPG.fcff224b4739168a8f1b769bed3749d3.JPGIMG_2823.thumb.JPG.3c2d959a7bcd906272f9fd50641e622b.JPG

started the boot area (dont actually know whats its called) which wil all be covered overIMG_2814.thumb.JPG.a1af34c4422f52f36b1373676bf121d3.JPGIMG_2815.thumb.JPG.da091294df5d49ae7ca37f4ed59938d0.JPGIMG_2816.thumb.JPG.a3f35aaa020d92bbd67246781400656a.JPGIMG_2817.thumb.JPG.dfa4d63b03240868a09e553d4f6a1fff.JPGIMG_2819.thumb.JPG.e56e81ec12b9a3da4b339c83b6157c78.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

good day today, sun was out, so the wife was happy, dog was happy, had a visitor, first one to see me in years, other than family, even brought my new build

stagecoach boot finished, it could have been better, but looks like a covered area as intended

IMG_2826.thumb.JPG.b7e26216b0492ca91534c3c230f61141.JPGIMG_2827.thumb.JPG.ae7cf4428b3b4d468ec7446216e21fa6.JPGIMG_2828.thumb.JPG.9a5b9de73ae38f7ee966cc7ee0095cef.JPGIMG_2829.thumb.JPG.5a7528b3bc1c92b46938add6e59cf2ca.JPGIMG_2830.thumb.JPG.6011cc9105e41b0b6c67a19c4f5faf25.JPGIMG_2831.thumb.JPG.83933a7c27e3b3565cbce92c41f16c2d.JPGIMG_2832.thumb.JPG.66c7125ddaf76f4f0178f3c796375beb.JPG

and the drivers area is also in position

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2834.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Looking very nice  

OC

Current builds  

Completed works.

16 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking very nice  

OC

Thank you OC

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone

im still adding bits to this

the window blinds, rolled around a bit of 1mm brass, with some tie backs added to the large windows and doors

the wheel rims went on next, 5mm black card was used

still to do

replace or update the through braces

fix the brake system

put carriage onto through braces

insert lighting

put in seats and benches

driver position  rails

roof rails

hinges to doors

foot rests

PE lettering

and a general tidy up

IMG_2835.thumb.JPG.79487a93180ccdc436bfa0f4e2028dfe.JPGIMG_2836.thumb.JPG.64431faa56dd4cf3f9172f197e02e1b9.JPGIMG_2837.thumb.JPG.7fced307550a13eba22b79ca9cf3b3a0.JPGIMG_2838.thumb.JPG.bf00ca901d637d02362816fb70f4fc3e.JPGIMG_2839.thumb.JPG.5297dfedc1cdd7a5e56b63c853433554.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Good evening everyone

im still adding bits to this

the window blinds, rolled around a bit of 1mm brass, with some tie backs added to the large windows and doors

the wheel rims went on next, 5mm black card was used

still to do

replace or update the through braces

fix the brake system

insert lighting

put in seats and benches

driver position  rails

roof rails

hinges to doors

foot rests

PE lettering

and a general tidy up

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

still to do

replace or update the through braces

fix the brake system

insert lighting

put in seats and benches

driver position  rails

roof rails

hinges to doors

foot rests

PE lettering

and a general tidy up

good evening more done off the still to do list

the through braces were tightened up a lot more and now carries the weight a lot better, still more to add so it will sink a little lower

completion may be delayed as the stanchions have gone missing, i will either order some or make them

now away tomorrow so she wont be finished by the weekend

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished