USS Missouri by reklein - Sterling - 1/192 Scale

There are some resin kits in there,for example some Westerfield kits. Most are ancient Ambroid,and LaBelle kits. A lot of Cambell structure kits. I'm trying to sell off a lot of these as I'm getting old and running out of time and also am too fickle to stick with them long enough to build them all. Thankyou all for the likes on my build.    Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

• 1 month later...

Work continues laminating .020 styrene to balsa substructure. There were some lost parts so I just fabricated form styrene alone.

missouri progress1.jpg

missouri progress#2.jpg

missouri progress #3.jpg

Edited by reklein
wrong photo

Bill, in Idaho

You know, I have seen these Sterling kits around for decades but never seen one built until now. Oh man, it's a lot of work from what I see you doing. You have my respect for tackling a project like this. I'll bet there were a'many of these kits bought and never started or finished. 

One of the things that kindled my interest in building scale models was when I was a very young lad, a friend of my dad gave me some large scale model warships he had built from wood. I could play with them without much danger of breaking anything. 

This kit was meant to be radio controlled so the fidelity to scale is a little crude. Kinda of what the Airplane guys called "standoff scale". Still it's fun to try and improve the kit. I have a PE kit by gold metal models. I'm not going to R/C it, I've got other projects to get to ,like a 1/200 Hood.

Bill, in Idaho

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Tom_Bush said:

any updates on this project!? i'm currently building the exact same kit and i would love to see how yours is doing

By all means, open your own log also.  We'd love to see it.   And do in an intro in the New Members Introduction area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't been keeping up sorry. Heres a few new shots. Sorry about the inverted files I couldn't get em sized right. I can't post them from my phone Samsung A 50 and get em right and after an hour of foooling around with my computer,its upside down or nothing.

#2from stern.jpg

from bow.jpg

gun directors.jpg

missouri 328.jpg

Bill, in Idaho

54 minutes ago, reklein said:

its upside down or nothing.

That's pretty much the story of my life these days Bill, so what is a few more upside downs between friends?

The build is looking quite nice and starting to fil in a little on the foredeck. Gives an idea of what is to come.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Here's another attempt, taken today. I see a couple things to fix. You all will have to guess. 

502313455_bowview.jpg.542bb949bc4b1a583df0ec73b1172d43.jpgbroadside.jpg.42882c50d3bc3cbf601907ca00b96ecc.jpg

Edited by moderator.

Edited by Nirvana
Rotating pictures

Bill, in Idaho

502313455-bowview-thumb-jpg-ee928439bb08

broadside-thumb-jpg-0e63c331e5dcf784b350

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Try using this photo uploader  Bill,    it  respects the  flip  you make to your pics  and  posts them the correct way round after you have flipped them.

OC.

https://postimages.org/

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Was looking for Sterling USS Missouri builds and found this.  Have the large 1/192 sheet and have a 30 (?) page detail book that came with kit.   Just looked at more of your photos.  Looking good.  Spent a year building putting this nightmare together in early 70's.  Just finished a refit with a lot of high end parts.  (USS New Jersey,  late 1944 theme)   Left the single shaft for RC.  Found that 12V 550 with 1 3/4 race prop at 3/4 throttle makes a nice look.  Refit was expensive but now, setting above the fireplace, it was worth the work.    These kits are nearing a "collector status" now.       

A website call "Fine Art Models" has several professional photos of 1/192 scale Iowa Class.  Just in case, I never used the 2 Tom's Model Works brass railing for the raised bow.  (old style thick etch)  You can have if need an extra set.  I left the original pins and thread.       

I think this is the first time I have seen the Sterling kit finished to this degree Bill. Most people give up on it long before this stage. The quality you have achieved is also quite impressive. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Larry and Lou, thanks for the likes. Larry, Thanks for the offer on the photoetch ,but, I think I'll just stay with what I have. There seems to be plenty and I have bought a couple extra ladder  and railing sets. Plus I bought a 1/200 seaplane launcher and crane set with two OS2-Us that look pretty neat. At this stage of the build it just seems like there are 50 of everything to build and install. 50 floater baskets,50 20mm machine guns, 50 ammo lockers for the machine guns 50 various gun directors,etc.

Bill, in Idaho

• 4 months later...

Hoping you have recovered from gluing the 68 40mm gun barrels.  And the 50 of these and 50 of those.  I am assuming you stayed on schedule with the Missouri project.  The detail work you were putting into it was great.  All adds up to a fine looking ship and a great conversation piece.  I'm working on a couple of display cases now.  Sixty inch long pieces of plexiglass is almost a frustrating as 50 of these and those.  Will try to attach pic of BB-62 to this post.  I have little experience in using a blog or community website so I am guessing at getting it done right. 

20220527_142338.jpg

• 1 year later...

How well I know the complexity of this kit.  I started it as a junior in high school in 1967.  Then it went into moth balls and I finally got around to finishing it in the 1990's.  I built it to be a remote controlled model and I was not disappointed!  It really looks great on a nice calm lake.  Imagine, it's too big for my 40 x 15 swimming pool!  It wouldn't be enough room to turn it!  You look like you are doing a very good job.  My kit did not have the AA guns molded out of plastic.  I had to wrap black thread around 80 pins!  4 for each of the 20 gun mounts.  Enjoy your handy work!