Question for you model vets

Hi Laggard

Never say never😄   Deadeye sizes and style vary with scale, ship, which channel, etc.   I would be surprised if  there are enough aftermarket chain plate sizes and types to cover all situations.  

I have been buying rope and blocks, but I plan to make rope on my own for upcoming builds as I invested in a rope walk.    Blocks??? I am not so sure about that.   I have made my own blocks and have purchased them.  The same problem arises though when buying them.  On a full rigged ship, there are a lot of sizes and types of blocks and after market blocks seem to be limited to about a dozen sizes/types.  

I will be curious to see others' responses.   With the growth of 3D printing, a proper drawing is all that is needed to have custom made pieces so I see that as a big plus to sourcing some things such as gun barrels, and more, without sacrificing accuracy.   

Allan 

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I have scratch built turnbuckles but I found a source for very well made brass turnbuckles at a very reasonable price and will not scratch build another turnbuckle.  These are for more modern boats than steam riverboats where I will still have to scratch build them.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I do everything but cordage, chains and canons. I have molded canons in the past but what I can buy looks better and they are metal. Chains are just to small in 1/48 and I'd rather buy my cordage than spend the time making my own.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

I tend to buy, rope, blocks, deadeyes, and cannon for my scratch ships.   I have a rope walk and intend on using it... someday.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

'Found the finest chain I've ever seen by chance at a local craft store (already made into a multi-strand long necklace, but long enough that cut strands are useable for sheet chain in 1:96 scale), then bought what they had.  They are silver finish, but can be airbrushed dark with care.  I've also scrounged blocks and fittings from incomplete or partially built kits occasionally found at flea markets, train shows and the like ... if the price is right these kits can be a good source of planking wood, etc.  The idea is to always be on the lookout, never knowing when or where you might come across something usable.  Now there's an idea ... if an old beat-up (perhaps broken) model has OK chainplate, stropped blocks, etc. and can be had at a low enough price - instead of trying to do a 'restoration', it could be 'mined' for usable parts.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

29 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I tend to buy, rope, blocks, deadeyes, and cannon for my scratch ships.   I have a rope walk and intend on using it... someday.

Yep...   same.   Ive been thinking a lot about the cannon for my Triton project and opted to buy them.   I have every intention to make all the rope needed, but will admit that I bought some (just in case).  

27 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

Yep...   same.   Ive been thinking a lot about the cannon for my Triton project and opted to buy them.   I have every intention to make all the rope needed, but will admit that I bought some (just in case).  

I was turning cannon at one point and did for the Triton project among others like my Constellation.   More trouble than it's worth these days.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

"I have scratch built turnbuckles but I found a source for very well made brass turnbuckles at a very reasonable price and will not scratch build another turnbuckle.  These are for more modern boats than steam riverboats where I will still have to scratch build them."

Did you forget to post the link to your source, or are you just trying to play hard to get? :D 

I've always had problems with turnbuckles. Reasonable facsimiles can be made, but I've never been able to replicate the working turnbuckles on a 4' long  live steam working 1900 steam yacht model I extensively restored years ago. The model was built in the early 1920's. Four inch-long open body turnbuckles with properly opposingly threaded forked arms supported the deck-stepped signals mast. I've looked all over for tiny reverse-thread taps and dies to no avail. Even regular tiny taps and dies are very hard to find and quite expensive. I expect the best that can be done is to have but one end threaded and the other a "dummy." On that model, the ability to loosen the turnbuckles and unhook the shrouds from the chainplates made it possible to remove the mast when transporting the model, a feature that came in very handy. If anybody knows where opposing-threaded micro-taps and dies can be found, I'm all ears.

(I wouldn't be a bit surprised if wefalck doesn't have a complete set of right and left-handed micro-taps and dies in his collection of watchmaking tools! :D )

These are my go-to guys for taps in the UK (including LH/RH taps and dies).

https://www.tracytools.com/

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

22 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

"I have scratch built turnbuckles but I found a source for very well made brass turnbuckles at a very reasonable price and will not scratch build another turnbuckle.  These are for more modern boats than steam riverboats where I will still have to scratch build them."

Did you forget to post the link to your source, or are you just trying to play hard to get? :D 

No.  Just took me a bit to find my link to the company.  They are in Poland and ship quick and the shipping costs were very reasonable.  A lot of product can fit in a #10 envelope. 

Steve Wheeler and I purchased a lot of parts from this place.  We would pool our orders together - it gave us an excuse to get together.  Everything we got was of very good quality and they are quick to get the parts in the mail.

https://www.rbmodel.com 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

No.  Just took me a bit to find my link to the company.  They are in Poland and ship quick and the shipping costs were very reasonable.  A lot of product can fit in a #10 envelope. 

Steve Wheeler and I purchased a lot of parts from this place.  We would pool our orders together - it gave us an excuse to get together.  Everything we got was of very good quality and they are quick to get the parts in the mail.

https://www.rbmodel.com 

Wow! What a selection of "jewelry!" It looks reasonably priced, too. This one went right into my "Favorites - Modeling" file.

Thanks a million for sharing it, Kurt!

Edited by Bob Cleek

I've bought belaying pins from them. Product and service were excellent.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights