Recommendations for new member

JayBee750

Hi all. Thanks to admin for accepting my registration.

I am an experienced model maker but this will be my first foray into wooden ships. I have done lots and lots of research on methods and pitfalls, and am looking at model choices.

I am not familiar with any in particular but am looking in the first instance at Occre. I have in mind either the HMS Beagle, Golden Hind or HMS Endeavour. Not sure if this is the correct place to ask as I do not yet know the forum, but can anyone give me pointers on manufacturers and models please.

Many thanks.

John

John, welcome to MSW. I hope your first foray into a wooden model will be successful. 

Good morning JayBee and welcome the forum.  As you might expect, your question is near the top of the list for new members.  To that end, there is a discussion about kits and manufacturers here:

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/24-wood-ship-model-kits/

Lots of good information, including some first-build options. 

Edited by Moonbug

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW. 

Also check out this thread 

it has some great advice for a first time wooden ship modeller👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hello JayBee, I am myself a long time and could say an experienced modeler. Styrene and resin ships (some of them heavily modified). Airplanes and the occasional armored vehicle (WWI tanks with interior), figurines mostly medieval and Napoleonic. But wooden ship models is a new ball game and I started last year myself. I would recommend something simple to start with good instructions. Myself I started with a Vanguard fishing boat, it allowed me to practice on planking (double planking), painting wood, "easy" rigging, finding out the different tools that I need, and a lot of posted material of modelers who build the same model with good advices. Indeed I was interested by such ship as the Bounty or Endeavor but resisted the temptation and I do not regret my choice.

Hi John, Welcome aboard! As you may have discovered already, there is a lifetime or two of modeling experience here. Friendly and helpful hobby enthusiasts here for sure. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Welcome to MSW, John.   Do read the suggested topics especially the one by Edward to start "small".   And no matter what you decide to build, open a log.  It's the best way to meet other modelers and also get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

JB

I second Mercator's comments on Vanguard but would also add the David Antcherl series of models from Model Shipways.

Do you care if your model is a truly accurate representation of a real ship?  If you do, study the build logs here and do a little research on the ship of your choice before buying the kit to see if the kit maker has done a good job in their representation.  As can be clearly seen in many build logs, unfortunately many, not all, kit manufacturers have done an extremely  poor job in producing a kit that yields a realistic looking model, including the one you mention.

A great place to do research is RMG.    For the Bounty as one example-------------

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-86459 shows the deck layouts.  A model held at RMG with several views can be seen at

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/rmgc-object-68763

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Occre kits have a simplified design, but don't cost a lot. Fittings usually are not in proper scale and the rigging plans are less than accurate. 

If you are interested in the Endeavour, Caldercraft makes a much more accurate kit. That ship is not recommended to beginners at all though, the hull shape is pretty difficult to plank properly.

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

Hi JayBee, welcome to MSW.

As a relative newcomer to model ship building myself, I thought I would give you my thoughts.  Like yourself, I had previously enjoyed modelmaking for many years, mainly plastic kits.  I found moving into building wooden ships a significant step up in many areas.  I had briefly transitioned from plastic to wood by building a few cheap laser cut models which can be built in a few days.

I'm now on my second ship build, which incidentally is Occre's HMS Beagle.  My first build was Caldercraft's HMS Ballahoo.  I chose Ballahoo as it was relatively inexpensive and looked straightforward, with limited rigging.  To be honest, I was half expecting to not finish the build but I stuck with it and was very pleased with the final result.  I then moved onto something a little more complex, Occre's HMS Beagle.  I'm finding this build has a number of challenges compared to the Ballahoo.  There are a complete set of instructional videos on the Occre website which are very useful for the beginner.  However, the supplied instructions are often confusing, contradictory or wrong.  Many errors are highlighted in the numerous build logs on this site.  The quality of the parts are, in my opinion, not as good as Caldercraft parts.  I'm finding the rigging thread particularly hairy/fuzzy.  Unfortunately I don't have any experience of other manufacturers yet.

I think one of the main drawbacks of HMS Beagle as a first build is the amount of rigging.  Compared to the Ballahoo it's in a different league.  My suggestion would be to 'cut your teeth' on an easier kit.

As suggested above, I would encourage you to start a build log of your kit.  This allows others to follow your progress and also allows subsequent builders of the ship to learn from your experiences.  I relied very heavily on build logs during my first build.  It also keeps you in touch with other members of the club.

Initially I was a little embarrassed to post my inexperienced progress in a build log as I thought it would be judged against the expert builders here.  I shouldn't have worried, as members here will give nothing but praise and encouragement.  There is no competition here, we are all just trying to do our best.

I hope you find some of my thoughts helpful and whatever you chose to build I wish you the best of luck with it :) 

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

The NRG has just issued its first PDF only supplement to the NRJ.  It is free if your have joined the Guild.  If not, 1) give a thought to joining or 2) the cost for the supplement is low enough to be worth worth buying.  If nothing else, it gives you a view of what the Journal offers and what the past issue CD's are like.  Anyway, in the supplement is an impressive full page ad for the MS  Model ShipWright beginner series of models.  I have not built them myself, but the feedback from those who have and the overall quality of what MS produces portends that one are all of this series will get you up to speed at a reasonable investment level. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Again, thanks for the replies and advice. Thanks to Chimp for the advice regarding the first model too.

I was considering the Lady Nelson as a possible too, it seems similar in complexity to the Ballahoo, but would that be a little 'too much too soon'? I would appreciate the thoughts of the group on this as a possible.

JB

Edited by JayBee750

Experience is not on my side in the slips, but I do have construction/wood working experience both professionally and for the Fun’s.
I will reflect what others have said, and add my own twist: build something you like. Be it visually pleasing, historically interesting to you, or some other personal connection/interest. 

I feel it will help keep you motivated to progress while in the building doldrums, and help you visualize the final result.

It will also lend background to the inevitable stories and questions you will be asked about your proudly displayed model. 

I am currently working through a Vanguard Models build—and to my admittedly: inexperienced hands and eyes; comparing it side by side with a Model Shipways and OcCre kit—there is no comparison. The Vanguard kit is superior to both. If nothing else for the detailed manual. The information and techniques gleaned from a careful reader are worth the kit price in and of itself. 

Cheers! And Welcome! ☺️

Welcome to Model Ship World, John!  If I can add a little more advice: I recommend reading a lot of build logs before you buy.  You will find amazing build logs for most of the kits that are on the market today.  Reading in advance will help you make a good choice based on what it takes to finish the build.  I have not followed the advice of starting with a small kit and from where I am now, I will tell you that you should start with a small kit.  David Antscherl's series from Model Shipways is a good place to start.  This is advice I didn't follow, but wish I had.  One perspective I couldn't wrap my head around when I started was that if you start with something little like a Dory and it's too small or too easy or anything else, it will also not take too long to finish and then try something bigger and more difficult.  

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Welcome aboard.  :cheers:

There is alot of good info about beginner kits above, so I will not go into that.  As a plastic model builder, you are familiar with opening the box and seeing a bunch of pieces.  Many wooden ship model newbies open their first model kit and think "oh my, what have I gotten myself into?"  The newer generation of ship models have evolved from the 'box of sticks and strings' but it can still be daunting.  Don't let it be.  As mentioned above, starting small and learning the ropes (or the sticks) lets you get a feel for the wood and the techniques.

Wood is much more forgiving than plastic.  I can honestly say that every ship model I built, I built twice.  The first time and then the second time after I pulled it apart so I can fix the things I screwed up.  I use a good wood glue rather than CA glue (superglue) for many reasons.  One is because it can be unglued easily.  Crappy planking can be unglued and redone.  Trying to work around a problem tends (in my experience) to compound the problem over time.  :default_wallbash:

...and you can never have too many clamps.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome aboard.

I build card models for years and few plastic ones ,some time ago started my first wooden ship Occre golden hind and i must admit if i knew what i know now i wouldn't even consider this model. Definitely it is not for beginners from my point of view and this instruction is not very clear...

I should visit Modelshipworld and ask about it before i started...😁