F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

8 hours ago, Egilman said:

but that is a story for another day)

"Trading With The Enemy" Charles Higham 

Sooner or later you will get to the part of the engine that converts money into noise.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

21 hours ago, king derelict said:

The 3D modelling of the engine is looking really very good. It opens up a whole new perspective to enhance the model - and a whole new skill to learn. I'm still excited if I get a rescaled part to come out properly. Huge respect for what you are doing.

Alan

Many, many thanks Alan, it's greatly appreciated... (even if I wonder sometimes what I've gotten myself into)

21 hours ago, king derelict said:

And now OPR for a gas turbine is up in the order of 35 to 1

Yep, comparing a '40's-'50's turbine engine (turbojet) with today's turbine engines (turbofans) is like comparing an abacus with an adding machine... (that's what 70+ years of constant development gets you)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

18 hours ago, lmagna said:

"Trading With The Enemy" Charles Higham 

Sooner or later you will get to the part of the engine that converts money into noise.

Great book, really explains the difference between an industrialist and an internationalist.... And why they are the same and are not good for a society... The history that no one wants to teach....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I'm done with the basic castings of the Compressor body....

IMG_0109I.thumb.png.dd2aae686791696302f160a9c22ef067.png

Just need to complete the flange bolt patterns...

Now ready to start the Rear Frame to finish off the Compressor castings.... The rear frame has the injection chambers where the fuel is mixed with the compressed air flow before entering the burner cans... It has a surface that changes from a simple circle tube to a surface that looks like the ocean during the perfect storm.... All in about eight inches....

IMG_0109J.thumb.jpg.2bb524cda709da7f9a75a70dbb68c829.jpg

It also carried the aft engine mounts as well...  This is probably going to take a while.....

Onwards...

EG

Quote:

I am getting curioser and curioser about your work ...

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

22 hours ago, Danstream said:

I am getting curioser and curioser about your work ...

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, any questions feel free to ask I'll explain as best I can... Thanks for following...

Quote:

Well Brothers, an update... 

I was researching images to find more that detail the Aft Compressor Frame of the J-47.. Unfortunately the line drawings from the parts manual serve well to identify the part but not enough detail to accurately model it, you can get close, but some areas will be guesses or best fit situations... the Images I had, although very nice high resolution images, did not illuminate the areas I needed to understand... So, I went searching for more... 

And I hit the jackpot for high res detailed J-47 images.... (capped from current videos)

Agent JayZ of S&S Turbines and owner of Jet City Turbines.. He rebuilds former military turbine engines for the jet boat industry and owners... And he has two playlists on YouTube of his working on J-47's.... DETAILED videos...

vlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h24m44s094.png.9c6fabe8a6019ba79c2def49a25bd9a8.pngvlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h25m23s734.png.4801f32acc19cdf25035d06782b06261.pngvlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h26m14s611.png.9e86e62316a4c921ef47b706881672d1.pngvlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h28m44s287.png.836c25f8962378e0228a6b87625b84af.pngvlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h24m05s299.png.471f249dbc96bf742b7d1e2100013e3b.png

All from a freshly opened brand new J-47-25 storage crate.... He also has some videos of a used 1953 model J-47-27 that was last refurbished in '57, it came out of a Sabre and is being refurbished to go back into a restored F-86F Sabre... (the only difference between a -25 and a -27 is the accessories that were mounted on them, the -25 went into the B-47's and the -27 went into the F-86F's)

vlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h29m28s971.png.531fba28e9ece330236405f9ebdd2d59.pngvlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h29m38s298.png.4689b7a5410704b3587a9800deca86ef.png

I Mean some REAL DETAILED high res images.....

vlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h34m33s528.png.3aa299a0104865a38b3734d387be8f58.pngvlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h34m35s594.png.36f9015cad3b8c0fc0b8662e1619465b.png

You can easily see how it is laid out....

Through my searches I also found Engine History.org.... They had a few images I did not find earlier, like a much higher resolution cross section image of the J-47 than the one I was working with....

1096683933_TO2J-J47-26FieldMaintenanceandReplacementJ47-ST-25toJ47-GE-271956362.thumb.jpg.0b5adea864407bb80377539b1da2eda7.jpg

When I compared the two images I found some errors in the image from the repair manual compared to this image.... I guess the image I found was a general description image just identifying the parts and sections, this one identifies the bolts & nuts, their locations and their torque specs... (much more technically accurate)

The sad part is the first image I found is of course not accurate as to it's image size and proportions, it was compressed to fit the page, not much, but enough to throw off the sizes of all the work I've done so far based upon it....

So I have to start over... Yeah that's one of the hazards of this... (newly discovered info refuting older info)  Thankfully I haven't done any actual cutting of plastic or 3D printing so nothing is lost material/labor wise, just my time... Besides, there were several things I was going to have to go back and change when it came time to export the parts, things I should have done differently in the model.... Now I get to fix those...

It's been a learning experience so far, my first trip into the actual 3D printing/modeling world... 

AS far as the Kinetic F-86F-30... I'm still waiting on the Eduard replacement parts in the mail, and Kitlinx obtained a tracking # from the post office a week ago, they still haven't actually received the parts.... (is it any wonder why I avoid buying from them like they have the plague? They never have anything I've ever actually ordered from them in stock even if their webstore says it is)

Off the soap box... 

Anyway, I'll be redrawing these parts by saving as much of the prior work as I can... When I catch up I'll post images.. (and probably a few along the way)

Thanks for following along and sorry for the setback/restart....

EG

vlcsnap-2022-04-19-18h26m22s603.png

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

The rework station, OCAMA, is the Oklahoma City Air Material Area, aka Ok City Depot. They do all the engines for the Air Force. Once out of the AF inventory, these good folks pick up the ongoing overhauls and rebuilding.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

22 minutes ago, Canute said:

The rework station, OCAMA, is the Oklahoma City Air Material Area, aka Ok City Depot. They do all the engines for the Air Force. Once out of the AF inventory, these good folks pick up the ongoing overhauls and rebuilding.

Thanks Ken...

Excellent!!! a primary source then, can't get any better than that.... (and he's definitely using a high grade camera as well) I capped all the videos pertaining to the J-47, some 27 of them totaling about about 6 hours of images... As you can see, I now know what the aft compressor frame's exterior shape is... {chuckle} The HD cutaway image also shows the proper split lines for the sections which is a big help as well....

I got lucky....

Quote:

Look at it this way Egilman... it's not a waste of time to go down the wrong path, but a learning experience.   I believe you'll end up as our resident expert on these engines and possibly (if you pursue it) a parts supplier for other modelers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

33 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Look at it this way Egilman... it's not a waste of time to go down the wrong path, but a learning experience.   I believe you'll end up as our resident expert on these engines and possibly (if you pursue it) a parts supplier for other modelers.

I agree  with Mark   - really think this could leed  to something.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

22 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Egilman, 

I think there is a kit of the Sabre at 1/18 scale by Hobby Boss. I am quite certain that that kit could benefit from your scale up jet engine, once you manage to print it. I see a lot of potential, scaling up or down such a lovely engine.

Yves

I know, I was looking at that one when I found this one... It's big... And it's a Hobby Boss, (trumpy) But the reviews are positive at least... (103.00 at Sprue Brothers) I just don't have the space for it... As far as the engine, I hope it comes out well... I will have to wait on any other considerations until after I get it done...

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

It's modeling, it NEVER a waste of time, money on the other hand? {chuckle} Yep, I'm learning more about them as I go, but that is the way my journeys usually go, I wind up knowing more about the subject than even I thought possible sometimes... But as far as being an expert, nah, I couldn't hang with that, there is always something more to learn... No parts supplying here, if the files print up well I may offer them after a couple of enterprising brothers build a test example... My production days are long over...

10 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I agree  with Mark   - really think this could leed  to something.

OC.

Well hopefully it leads to a nice display piece, that's all I can hope for right now brother... still a long ways to go.....

Everyone, thanks for the votes of confidence... Hopefully it turns into something worthwhile...

It's really appreciated....

Quote:

Small update....

The revised Accessories fairing....

screenshot_179.thumb.png.3dc736c04db9a5c9cf9bdf8fabc5972e.png

I went ahead and split out the access panel on the bottom... I did a better lofting job on it this time, at least it is shaped correctly.... This is one piece, I have to create the mating surfaces yet on the back side then start the next one which will have the intake plenum and vanes around the pumps housing in the center... Then from there, I will do the screens and forward compressor frame in one piece as well... As she goes together, the parts will form a tube right down the middle for structural strength with all the details built up off that... It will be strong and simple... Just the way I like it...

More later....

Quote:

Keep up the good work, brother. Like the guys said, it's a learning process. I keep telling myself I want to be able to use a computer based drafting program, but it'll have to be self taught. Local schools aren't offering adult education classes for these. Mostly very basic courses.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Do you have a Maker Space or something similar where you live Ken? They cost money but most do offer courses along with access to printers. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, I'll look that up. One of my buddies here offered to tutor me, but passed away suddenly.

Ken

15 hours ago, Canute said:

Keep up the good work, brother. Like the guys said, it's a learning process. I keep telling myself I want to be able to use a computer based drafting program, but it'll have to be self taught. Local schools aren't offering adult education classes for these. Mostly very basic courses.

It's like anything, you have to start somewhere... I've been doing tutorials for a few years now but there comes the point of using what you've learned about the operation and use of the software and putting it into actual practice... This J-47 finally gave me the push I needed to apply what I've been practicing for a while now... It helps having an engineering background which you have brother but it's not necessary... I've had no formal 3D training either, all my training took place as a teenager in high school and technical school... And yes I know for sure if you don't use it you lose it, it's not all riding a bike....

My suggestion brother is pick one of the free 3D software's out there and play with it.. Which one doesn't really matter, get familiar with how it works... The one I started with is Blender, it's is a full featured 3D program but it's really aimed at the movie/animation crowd not the engineering crowd although drafting quality 3D modeling can be done with it... once you are familiar with how 3D functions, pick a software that is fully engineering capable... (parametric is the term) Most choose Fusion 3D cause it is free and there are "some" tutorials for it to learn it specifically... (my opinion is it plays on the Autocad/Autodesk name recognition) It's not a top line 3D package too buggy for serious production work... The one they are teaching in most of the schools is either Solidworks or Autocad Inventor... Personally, my opinion is Inventor suffers from being made by Autodesk... The other mainstream 3D software is Rhino... Rhino started as a 3D plugin for Autocad, (created for Boeing) and grew into it's own standalone fully featured product, but it is a lot more technical slanted and you need to understand the nuts and bolts of engineering drawing to get the most out of it... Solidworks is aimed at the newbie but is very technically proficient quite capable of being used in a production environment...

My experience leans to Solidworks and Rhino as the two most capable packages and you can see some of what is possible with SW right here... For general drawing/ constructing, I use SW....

For ship building I will be using Rhino cause that is it's basis for existing, designing and testing ship hulls it what it was created to do and does that better than any other software out there... It does very well at aircraft fuselages as well... 

There are thousands of tutorials out there for SW, some are very very good, there are youtube channels devoted to nothing but solidworks tutorials... I belong to several of them and that is where I learned how to use SW... No schools involved at all...

Try out the free version of Sketchup or Fusion 360 find a few tuts and start following along, soon it will be second nature and you will understand enough to pick out a good solid 3D engineering package and then practice, practice and practice... Soon, you will be looking to apply it to something of interest to you, then you are on your way...

Lack of schools didn't stop me, and given what is available out there, shouldn't stop anyone, 3D is a tool that should be in every modelers belt... (and once it is investment in aftermarket will go down and searching for such will cease, the question will become is it worth it to buy it compared to making it yourself)

And that is what I'm testing here my friend...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

So well said  brother   - thank you.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

EG, thanks for your suggestions. I remember a write-up in several train magazines about Sketchup. I think I'm gonna spend Sunday tracking it down and getting myself a copy. Can't keep whining about learning something new; gotta get off the butt.

Ken

1 hour ago, Canute said:

thanks for your suggestions. I remember a write-up in several train magazines about Sketchup.

My pleasure... Sketchup is a good starter package, in fact, some have gotten very good with it... But it isn't a true parametric modeler... (creating dimensionally accurate truly solid models) Good to get your feet wet in understanding the 3D creation process ...

Over the years there is one thing I learned that helped a great deal with not getting frustrated with the online tutorial process.... Dual Monitors... You read or watch the tutorial on one screen and run the software on the other so your not switching back and forth all the time... (that is a real frustrating drag)

This is my setup...

IMG_0110.thumb.JPG.b7f52bbb832be86cfb2e9ffa2f9759fe.JPG

And don't worry about all the gadgets people are going to say are absolute necessities like 3D mouses and the like, I use a plain old Logitech three button scroll wheel mouse, you don't need no more than that.. (you probably already have one)

Saves a lot of headaches....

Good luck brother, any questions I'll try to help...

Quote:

Small update, making progress...

IMG_0109L.thumb.png.79c8559eff7e990b55f96f4b503f1057.png

Ready to recut the screens...

Onwards....

Quote:

I can run my laptop next to my desktop for the dual screens. We can hack it! I've got some projects I can see getting going. Thanks, bro.

Ken

2 hours ago, Canute said:

I can run my laptop next to my desktop for the dual screens. We can hack it! I've got some projects I can see getting going. Thanks, bro.

This sounds  good Ken,   good thing about or site  - we  muck in together.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

11 hours ago, king derelict said:

The engine modelling looks wonderful. The detail is excellent

Alan

Thank you Alan... Doin my best....

Just finished re-cutting the screens, update in a few minutes...

Quote:

10 hours ago, Canute said:

That's the ticket my friend... Start out simple and learn the process... (then go nuts making things you never thought you could make)

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

This sounds  good Ken,   good thing about or site  - we  muck in together.

OC.

If we don't support and help each other, what's the point of a site like this? Someone may have solved a problem that is virtually impossible for another to sort out... Sharing is the way....

Best site on the net for model building.... Bar NONE!!!

Quote:

Ok Brothers, another short update... I'm gonna explain some of the changes as well...

Accessories Fairing, front side then back sideIMG_0109M.thumb.png.7fb4dc3d7ef41fee95a23d5cf1ffa8b2.pngIMG_0109N.thumb.png.071d3a44b432e500285b28341b6890b2.png

You can see the structural basis here... It's a tube that will run the length of the engine, recessed on the back side each section, with a tab to index with a recess on the next part in line.... Just simply slide them together... how you will tell which part end goes with which is there will be a dimple on the recessed flat of the joint on both mating parts, 1 dimple for the first joint, two for the second and so forth and so on to the last part... Simple to assemble and very strong when built...

Intake section...

IMG_0109O.thumb.png.1fa3c9c106c116512daed5d8b1637900.pngIMG_0109P.thumb.png.777f7f3ff24366d42ce82fcf75fa1ee8.png

I set it up so the Vanes & Screens become the structural part holding the outer intake plenum in place, should make for a sturdy part... Again indexed to the top so there is no confusion on how they go together... (I also added a detail to the leading edge of the vanes, there is a radiused nose that held the hot air nozzles for the anti-icing system.. I added that detail to them)

As they would currently look assembled...

IMG_0109Q.thumb.png.5776d4373eb751759edaa58480925c66.png

For the screens here I used a different approach, they are still oversized a bit simply cause they need to be to be seen, but they look much more realistic and have all their parts....

Now I go on to do the parts on the outside of the intake plenum, Screen actuators and quadrant plates, time to dress her up a bit....

Onward....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Smart move, keying your parts for assembly. Keep on truckin'.

Ken

Well time for another update... 

FOD Screen actuators... (I really got the benefit of those HD images, they were a big help)

IMG_0109R.thumb.png.caf94ecf2a9e1234f7a626811707644e.pngIMG_0109S.thumb.png.3cd85232bdb9c5d29b57688e6f8049b2.png

I added the back flanges where the screw jacks mount for the time it comes to model them....

Complete set mounted to the Intake Plenum....

IMG_0109T.thumb.png.36bd95d31e6643936a778ec73d605c1a.png

And next up will be what they call the islands... 

vlcsnap-2022-04-24-11h15m37s033.png.81dca5687c11b983fa674cd45a355aa9.png

They are that curved panel that is between the Screen Actuators, it actually functions to hold the Plenum sections together and is the access points for all the various lines, tubing and wiring that needs to run to the Accessories section from the exterior... The associated connections run thru the plate then the intake vanes...

There are four of them, they are all different, and have their own specific locations around the Plenum numbered 1-4...

974969768_TO2J-J47-24IllustratedPartsBreakdownJ47-ST-25toJ47-GE-271969037.thumb.jpg.6bf000616b700936a93bca6b8d1fed65.jpg

They consist of a basic plate, that is identical to each other, but configured differently for it's position and purpose depending on what is running thru it... 

As an example, Air Inlet Island #1....

32811716_AirInletIslandNo1DiagramJ47-GE-271969.thumb.png.250847313701089dbdcd5eb4b701de71.png

And an accurized image of the outer surface...

303919928_AirInletIslandNo1J47-GE-271956.thumb.png.e526f0fbad101457f70593201dee0172.png

Those are also gonna take a bit of time to get accurate...

Again I don't know how much of this will show up at 1/32nd scale, but the resulting files can be printed at any scale one desires...

So I'll add the detail...

Anyway onwards.... (didn't know this was going to be a long detour)

EG

And finally, the overall assembly to this point...

IMG_0109U.png

Edited by Egilman

Quote: