F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

Bravo! Looks great to my amateurs eye EG.

Excellent work, all the drafting work realised.😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Nicely detailed. Can you get a tougher resin to print this or will that affect the printable detail. Are you doing any of the external plumbing, like the bleed air lines?

Thanks Ken...

The resin is fine, I just pushed in the wrong place and it cracked... Most of the detail came thru, the stuff at the absolute lowest resolution of the printer 1/16th inch in real life, .002 thousandths inch in scale, (just over 50 microns) didn't come out, but the intake screens which were drawn at 1/4 inch did with great sharpness.... So I need to bump the realizable resolution a tad to .125 inch and try again... Also the angle which Lychee chose to place them at wasn't optimal and allowed a few of the flanges to warp a bit... The mating index locators were a bit tight as well, Needed some filing to slip together... I'll need to give a bit more clearance for a smooth assembly.... Adjust the sizes of the support structure as well, some of them were a pain to remove....

Overall those are minor adjustments, for a draft quality test print, I think it came out great, it looks the part which is more than can be said for the kit part... {chuckle}

Yep I will be doing a complete exterior detail scheme, although at 1/32, will probably be designed integral into each section rather than separate parts, all that detail will just be too small to print as individuals... In a larger scale though shouldn't be a problem.... The air islands were .125 thickness, they don't show up on the model... It was expected... 

The printer has an absolute resolution on paper taken from the stats of the parts used to build it with, but it has a practical resolution as well, that at which it will actually print at....

Still learning, but I now have some more info to base designs upon....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Bravo! Looks great to my amateurs eye EG.

Excellent work, all the drafting work realised.😉

Thanks Ed, the experience was invaluable... there are limitations in scale of course, and that is one of the things I needed to learn, this provided some actual knowledge to the experience...

Smallest thing real life you can model on this printer at 1/32nd and have it seen is 3/16ths or 1/4 inch.... Anything smaller disappears, that is a big bit of info right there... the bottom end of the printers useable resolution....

But that is how scale modeling works, we want it to look like the object, not be the object....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

It looks Great brother,    can so see  all that detail.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks good from here also, Egilman.   I would have the urge to print on out at an even larger size just "because".   The important thing is that you be happy with the print outs.  Yes, I'm in awe.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

It looks Great brother,    can so see  all that detail.

OC.

Ah Brother, Thank you... well at this scale only about 3/4ths of the detail came thru, I need to revise my engineering a bit to account for the scale so more of the visible detail shows... No sweat, that was the purpose of a test print....

2 hours ago, king derelict said:

Absolutely marvelous Egilman. You should be very proud of your work. It looks excellent. I can't believe how good the intake screens look. I'd be dancing around the room for that alone

Alan

Thanks Alan, I'm very happy with it, but now I get to tweak the design so it's more crisp and clean.... There is a huge difference between FDM and SLA printing, FDM gives you huge sizes, SLA gives you Fine Detail Definition, ( in a smaller part size) at some point the two should be able to work together to make stunning models....

49 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Looks good from here also, Egilman.   I would have the urge to print on out at an even larger size just "because".   The important thing is that you be happy with the print outs.  Yes, I'm in awe.

Thanks my friend, Trust me the urge is there, but the engineering mind says that the design part isn't over yet... I have to essentially redesign most of it to move details around to aid the printing taking into account the way the machine works... Like not splitting the flanges between the parts on the full size separation lines, putting a flange on one part end and the next flange on the next part... Same process as injection molding or casting... The flange part gets the supports making removing them easier and cleaner... Fillets in this small scale are just about invisible so they aren't needed, but in a larger scale would need to be there... Like anything, it is a design process....

No need to be in awe brother, just another set of tools to do a job.... {chuckle} It's fairly simple.... but thanks It's appreciated....

EG

Quote:

Well brothers I'm back home from my excursion to get the pipes rooted out... 

A bit tired and sore and will probably be under the weather for a couple of days... but still here....

Thank you all for the support...

Quote:

That's great news, Egilman.  Get  some rest and follow the doc's orders.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Take it easy  brother  - lots of rest.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Yep, lots of rest, so take it easy, we're all patient fellas😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

22 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That's great news, Egilman.  Get  some rest and follow the doc's orders.

21 hours ago, Canute said:

I'll second that. R&R is in order.

20 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Take it easy  brother  - lots of rest.

OC.

19 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yep, lots of rest, so take it easy, we're all patient fellas😉

Absolutely, have to be that way or the Admiral invokes the war powers act... And we all know where that leads....

Anyway the best thing in my experience is to get back into the routine within reasonable limitations... So here we go.... Computers are real non intensive work {chuckle}....

So here is Version 4, prepped and ready for scaling for a second test print... This print is just to make sure the flanges are fixed and don't warp cause they are too thin....

This comes out right, and I'll start the re-draw process in Version 5 to clean up the hacked up mess these parts have become... Then we finish off the aft end out to the Exhaust Cone/Tail Pipe...

Getting thru the design process...  One thing I do know, Version 6 will have the exterior details designed integral with the eight basic parts cause in 1/32 they will just be too small to print  as separate parts... If I decide to do a version 7 it will be designed to print large enough so the exterior parts are separate probably somewhere up in at least 1/16th scale (about 2.25" in dia.) 1/8th scale would make her really impressive at about 7" in Dia... Don't know if I want to go that far with it as I do have an F-86F and F-104C to finish.... 

Anyway this is the current state...

IMG_0133A.png

Quote:

3 minutes ago, Egilman said:

the Admiral invokes the war powers act... And we all know where that leads

Yes Indeed ! Hot tongue and Cold shoulder for dinner ! 😉😊😇🤫

Sounds like a good plan, Egilman.   The concept of "rest" means different things to different people.  To some it's stay in bed, don't do much.  To others (myself included) it's more like get back into life but with limits that are movable.  Like no marathons, no whacking firewood, get tired then take a short nap.  I did this also after my valve replacement. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

19 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Yes Indeed ! Hot tongue and Cold shoulder for dinner ! 😉😊😇🤫

Absolutely! But most of the time the dessert makes up for it when she's ready.... {chuckle} 

Quote:

18 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Sounds like a good plan, Egilman.   The concept of "rest" means different things to different people.  To some it's stay in bed, don't do much.  To others (myself included) it's more like get back into life but with limits that are movable.  Like no marathons, no whacking firewood, get tired then take a short nap.  I did this also after my valve replacement. 

I've always been a believer in getting back into life as quickly as possible... It's already started the healing process, as the visiting nurse taught us 55 years ago, when it starts itching, it's healing...

Well now the fight is to not scratch the itch... {chuckle}

Anyway, in the process of doing the third test print, (the second failed) this is what Lychee says it's doing...

IMG_0133B.thumb.png.284eeb1990490206675b93e4c01cfcd6.png

And yeah the main compressor body still has structural errors, (that's why it's in red) but no holes so it will print...

That's primarily why I have to rebuild this into a version 5 to correct that and optimize for the 1/32 version....

Anyway in another two or three hours or so I'll have another update...

Thanks fellas... Recovery is going well...

EG

Quote:

Just in case you ever wondered what a failed print look like....

IMG_0134.thumb.JPG.836d7982be3970a9494629994de206da.JPG

Now you know... the only problem is, you can't see if it's failed until the plate is above the vat and in this case, the print is almost 60% done....

Starting print #4 now after beefing up the supports a bit... I'll eventually find a repeatable support system but right now it's hit or miss...

Learning new things sometimes is a frustrating process...

EG

Quote:

Hello Brothers,

Very short update... I finally got a partially successful print with the adjusted parts...  (after 4 print failures) I guess I need to learn more about 3D printing supports...

I lost the accessories section (the nose part) but the rest confirm that moving the flanges to the end helps a lot on keeping the errors to a minimum... bumping everything up to .125 helped a very small bit but in reality the air islands still didn't show up in any practical way... 

But I've got enough info to go to version 5 the redesign and this does confirm that to do a more detailed version I will have to go larger with the final model at least 1/16th scale, which would be designed different than this one......

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.3f2f13a536b68dbbbe4652772ccd9619.JPG

Anyway I'm going to be taking a break from the engine and getting back to the airframe for a bit... I need for the 3D printing lessons learned to stew awhile in the slow computer upstairs and come out with another plan... Not giving up on the engine, just need to take a break... I'm on the right track just need for the experience to soak in so I can adjust the approach....

Thank you for all the support my friends... I may take this engine thing to a new thread all by itself but I don't know yet... so many options....

Anyway, I need some hacking of plastic to rejuvenate my mense and the F-86F is right there... the learning process can be draining...

EG

Quote:

I'd suggest you take the printing part to a new thread in the 3D printing area.    I think you'd get some help from the 3D experts there which could be a plus.  Just do a couple posts for "history" there and up to where you are now.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It is good to see you back in action. The last print of the engine looks great.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

On 5/20/2022 at 12:47 PM, mtaylor said:

I'd suggest you take the printing part to a new thread in the 3D printing area.    I think you'd get some help from the 3D experts there which could be a plus.  Just do a couple posts for "history" there and up to where you are now.   

I went ahead and did that Mark, get the engine development out of the modeling thread... Linkage.. It will make it easier to keep the two processes separate so I can concentrate on one or the other as needs arise....

Thank you for the suggestion...

On 5/21/2022 at 4:20 AM, Danstream said:

It is good to see you back in action. The last print of the engine looks great.

Dan

Thanks Dan...

Starting on Version 5 of the design now, specifically designing for 1/32nd scale... this will help keep this thread cleaner and more modeling related...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up after some time away and I see you have been busy and doing some amazing 3D modeling.  Excellent work!  So glad to hear your medical procedure went well.  Even when the say the procedure is routine, it’s still stressful.  It’s routine for them - not for the patient.  Looking forward to future modeling updates.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 5/20/2022 at 1:49 PM, Egilman said:

Hello Brothers,

Very short update... I finally got a partially successful print with the adjusted parts...  (after 4 print failures) I guess I need to learn more about 3D printing supports...

I lost the accessories section (the nose part) but the rest confirm that moving the flanges to the end helps a lot on keeping the errors to a minimum... bumping everything up to .125 helped a very small bit but in reality the air islands still didn't show up in any practical way... 

But I've got enough info to go to version 5 the redesign and this does confirm that to do a more detailed version I will have to go larger with the final model at least 1/16th scale, which would be designed different than this one......

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.3f2f13a536b68dbbbe4652772ccd9619.JPG

Anyway I'm going to be taking a break from the engine and getting back to the airframe for a bit... I need for the 3D printing lessons learned to stew awhile in the slow computer upstairs and come out with another plan... Not giving up on the engine, just need to take a break... I'm on the right track just need for the experience to soak in so I can adjust the approach....

Thank you for all the support my friends... I may take this engine thing to a new thread all by itself but I don't know yet... so many options....

Anyway, I need some hacking of plastic to rejuvenate my mense and the F-86F is right there... the learning process can be draining...

EG

Wow, EG, that looks awesome! Congratulations, you have worked long and hard to arrive at this level of perfection. Encouraging to see you do it.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, FriedClams said:

Catching up after some time away and I see you have been busy and doing some amazing 3D modeling.  Excellent work!  So glad to hear your medical procedure went well.  Even when the say the procedure is routine, it’s still stressful.  It’s routine for them - not for the patient.  Looking forward to future modeling updates.

Gary

10 hours ago, CDW said:

Wow, EG, that looks awesome! Congratulations, you have worked long and hard to arrive at this level of perfection. Encouraging to see you do it.

Thanks Gary, Craig... Everything turned out ok on the medical front still doing a bit of recovery but it's all good... I moved the engine over to another thread (J-47GE-27 thread) in the 3D CAD/modeling/printing section... it seemed more appropriate there...

This is a sample of where it is right now, just finished the Combustion Section and starting on the Turbine section then the Exhaust cone and the basic form will be done...

IMG_0148K.thumb.png.adb2249a4e84aa26cb29fa566bdbc0f3.png

You can follow it here...

J-47GE-27....

Planning on getting it done and glued up soon... Brain is telling me that it would be a good subject to do as a stand alone model, but I do want to get back to the F-86F-30 and F-104C so once it's printed, I'll probably come back here...

The Silverbirds are awaiting patiently...

Thank you for following this side trip into phantasy....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Glad to hear all is sood with your op  and your  making a Full recoevery  brother,      so loving what  you are doing with this   - Superb  skills  all round.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you brother...

21 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Glad to hear all is sood with your op  and your  making a Full recoevery  brother,      so loving what  you are doing with this   - Superb  skills  all round.

OC.

Superb? I'm still a newbie practicing my friend, a lot to learn about this software package....

Quote:

• 1 month later...

Hey Brothers, after another side trip in real life, I'm about to get restarted on this...

I'm gonna leave the engine for a while and get back on the airframe.... Hopefully I won't have another interruption for a while, I'm getting sick and tired of hospitals and doctors...

When I left I was assembling the cockpit with an incomplete PE set.. so I'm kinda stuck, now I have the complete set but I went too far into the cockpit to dress up the seat so I'll be leaving it to what details I can add without destroying what is already done... Most of it won't be seen anyway cause of it's color, so it's highlights for the remainder.... But I now have the canopy shelf parts which will be seen behind the seat...

Going to pick this back up and get on the path...

EG

Quote:

Well, the next step in the instructions was to assemble the engine.....

IMG_0195.thumb.JPG.8c8ec5136ab0e26579a101d4cf5a6f8c.JPG

Not going to paint it cause it's going to be inside the fuselage and won't be seen.. I did paint out the inside of the tail pipe so that will not show anything inside either except a black hole like it should...

Now I get to do more upgrading... The gun ports...

IMG_0196.thumb.JPG.3df031ce0f71c6c663b31cde8ad49585.JPG

Those have the proper look to them where the molded in ports are phoney as heck.....

Airframe Surgery up next....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Good to see you back in action. Good move on replacing the gun ports although not trivial surgery. I am wondering whether it something could be planned at this stage for their finish. I mean, they have typically a shiny metal finish which stands out from the rest of the aluminium finish, hence could it be convenient to cover them with a kind of kitchen or tape foil now, before inserting them in their squared hole? Just a speculation, I never did it before.

Best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart