Ahoy from NavyShooter

Good afternoon all,

It was suggested that I introduce myself, so here goes.

I was a sailor in the RCN for 26.5 years, and did a bit of small arms marksmanship during that time, hence my 'nickname'.  Before I joined the Navy, I built models - tanks, planes, ships, and was starting to get into building scale RC warship models before I headed off to sea, and around the world.  I still have my DKM Graf Spee in the attic in my garage - but it's in too rough shape to think about putting back to sea.  Having hung up my full time Sailor's rig 3 years ago, I've stepped into a part time position with the Army Reserves, and have a full time job with the government as a technical inspection.  

My trade in the Navy was a SONAR technician (maintenance/repair as opposed to operating it) but I ended up doing a whole lot different roles.  

Anyhow, moving back into the world of RC stuff happened last summer when I got involved with a guy running an RC youtube channel that spoofed the 'Alaska gold mining shows' and and that got me back into fiddling about with RC Stuff.  I am more a scale boat guy, so I decided to pursue that path again.  I ended up buying a 1/96 scale HMCS Bonaventure model from a friend of a friend that had been started, but was basically an empty hull with minimal detail, and a flight deck.  

Knowing that the hardest part of a 1/96 scale aircraft carrier is finding the right aircraft...I took my 3D printer and and got busy.  I've printed a couple of squadrons of both Trackers and Banshees now - and am looking for a Sea King model to print.  

That was in November and December.  In January, I was chatting with a buddy at work who is a trainaholic, and he was looking for a ship to go with his train layout - I found a 3D print-able model of the Flower class corvette and while he loved the Canadian content, was looking for something bigger, and more train-related.  So, I found a guy who released a 3D model of the Liberty Ship, and printed one for him....in 1/88 scale (which was as big as the printer could go...I know that HO is 1/87) and while I was at it, I printed myself a Liberty Ship in 1/96 to match my Bonnie.

I also had a chance to play with some Ready to Run tugboats through my RC Youtube buddy, and so I bought one of those (Horizon Hobby HH30 Tugboat) and have done a few minor upgrades to it (ESC, Prop mostly) that have improved the performance considerably, particularly in terms of sternway performance.

So...long story long (as they usually are with me) I'm a not-really retired sailor who lives on a lake, and has some RC boats, and am doing a lot of 3D design and printing work.  

Right now, my 'completed' projects are the HH30 tug, and my Liberty Ship build - which you'll find in the 1901-present forum.

I look forward to learning a bit from the old hands here!

Brad (NS)

093.JPG

20130703_161840.jpg

Bonnie.jpg

3d Printed Banshee (2).jpg

Liberty Ship Ready for Sea Trials 1.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hi Brad, welcome aboard. I enjoyed the joint service time with the RCN back in the 1980’s when I was in the USN. Flew with the boys in Nova Scotia with the Aurora Squadrons. I was a P-3 flight engineer. You’ll have fun here! 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Brad

Glad to see you made it here. I think you will not regret it, great place and people. You will fit right in.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

23 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Hi Brad

Glad to see you made it here. I think you will not regret it, great place and people. You will fit right in.

Thanks Lou!  I'm sure you know what one of my upcoming projects will be!

Brad/NavyShooter

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

37 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Hi Brad, welcome aboard. I enjoyed the joint service time with the RCN back in the 1980’s when I was in the USN. Flew with the boys in Nova Scotia with the Aurora Squadrons. I was a P-3 flight engineer. You’ll have fun here! 👍😀

Thanks Dave!  The boys up in Greenwood are pretty good at what they do.  I had them overhead when I was off the coast of Libya in 2011 - that was an interesting time!

Brad/NavyShooter

32 minutes ago, NavyShooter said:

I'm sure you know what one of my upcoming projects will be!

I will certainly be on board for that build!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Great tools and models

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW, Brad.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED