P-51 "American Beauty" by Javlin - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/32

This has to be one of my Favorite paint scheme's out there for a P-51 I have integrated the Quinta P-51 for Tamiya as best I can it looks okay no Tamyia for sure but it will do.The IP worked out great the rest......?I am not going to have the gun bays open(?) and the engine was crap it's already in the trash I am going for aesthetics overall.So far the fuselage fit together great w/o that engine now.;)

51cxBPCi0QL._AC_.jpg

P-51 001.JPG

P-51 002.JPG

P-51 003.JPG

Looking very very nice Jav...  beautiful cockpit....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

that's a big girl!  love the large scale aircraft.........they take up a lot of room,  but there's a lot more to them ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

12 minutes ago, Javlin said:

It's no Tamyia EG but the Quinta decals did the what I needed for the pit I am going for aesthetics to the viewer from the outside.I would like to see ICM do a P-51 in 1/32 I figure they could hit the market @ $80/100 and be almost as good as a Tamy?;)

The grade of kits ICM is putting out now makes them a direct comparison to Tamiya... I have the Tamiya 60322 P-51D, I haven't cracked the box yet so I haven't examined it directly, but all the reviews say it is the best 1/32 P-51D on the market today, and at almost 200.00 something of similar quality at half that price would be greatly welcomed....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 7/9/2022 at 9:42 PM, Egilman said:

The grade of kits ICM is putting out now makes them a direct comparison to Tamiya... I have the Tamiya 60322 P-51D, I haven't cracked the box yet so I haven't examined it directly, but all the reviews say it is the best 1/32 P-51D on the market today, and at almost 200.00 something of similar quality at half that price would be greatly welcomed....

Buy your Tamiya kits from scalehobbyist dot com. He sells the same P-51 kit for $132.99. Fast, friendly service. No sales tax.

Good progress, it's an airplane now.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

no......it's a glider  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

20 hours ago, CDW said:

What brand of primer do you use?

That Craig is actually Alclads Gloss Black over Tamyia 1200 I usually do not primer been doing it lately did it to the He-111 liked the results.I buffed the plane with a 5000 grit pad we sell at work got smooth not glossy per say but it looked good.I got better results at 20psi slow pattern kinda heavy for Alclad says light but it gives more depth going slow.I then buffed the plane with a paper towel and laid another coat the color and reflection of the Alclad Semi-Flat Silver came through.I now move onto some flat panels and flaps.;)

P-51 001.JPG

P-51 002.JPG

Craig straight from the bottle I p/u the bottles @HobbyTown Mobile for about $9 a bottle and lacquer.I thinks I can say that one bottle with do 2/3 1/32 scale fighters single engine I used a whole bottle on the 1/32 B-25.You ought to see their polished metal :stunned: you could do up some realistic modern day civilian stuff gorgeous but a pure gloss black coat beneath the polished.;)

The stuff dries super quick already on to the masking and panels ;)

Well took it as far as I can go for today anything I felt gun related was Alclad AL101 so the doors,gunports and a panel for the chutes underneath very subtle.The flaps were all done in Dull AL. and the exhaust was MM Magnesium.I hope to get the spinner and front of the fuse tomorrow in Red.I will pick out small panels before the clear with SNJ Silver before I clear.;)

She might good if the decals work out.;)

P-51 003.JPG

P-51 004.JPG

P-51 005.JPG

Edited by Javlin

4 hours ago, Javlin said:

She might good if the decals work out.

She looks beautiful right now... As far as the decaling? I have faith....

Quote:

Work continues....The red has been applied and the last of the panels.I paid attention to the fillets for the wing/tail and hatches only with the SNJ.I use the Testors pin point brushes(rd fur ball) to apply the SNJ then buff with a regular q-tip and the last stage I use the Tamyia pointed q-tip to bring to a higher luster and touch the borders(paint in the lines) it is very subtle but I like the effect.The other thing if you do paint outside the lines a new point q-tip and wa-la it's gone.;)

P-51 001.JPG

P-51 002.JPG

P-51 003.JPG

P-51 004.JPG

Just a suggestion brother, the fabric covered tail surfaces, I would use  a tint to darken then about a half shade... They were painted dope and weathered out a hair darker than the bare metal...

Beautiful paintwork my friend, it's going to be a real beauty....

Quote:

7 minutes ago, Egilman said:

They were painted dope and weathered out a hair darker than the bare metal...

They are EG almost a grey in person the flash kinda blends it out a bit.I think  me leaving out the engine and gunbays saved alot of unwanted headaches and the fit of the kit improved.;)

sorry to hear of your decal woes......although you still can touch them up.  I have to ask........why two names on the nose?  American Beauty on one side and Lovely Lila on the other..........are you suggesting the duality of man,  sir?  ;)   super good job on the paint........an old acquaintance of mine used Alclad extensively :) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

38 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

why two names on the nose?

A lot of pilots gave a name to their crates which was generally placed on both sides, but some put the name only on the left side and put their wives/crew chief's names/nicknames on the right side, a practice that continued through the Korean War...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

something I've not seen.........I've seen either - or........and not a combination like that.  some wrote their love's name in some place.....preferably close to the canopy for a sense of closeness........but most names were a poke at their oppressors ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: