F4U-1A Corsair by DocRob - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/32

DocRob

13 hours ago, CDW said:

I've had similar results on my clear canopy when using lacquer paint. I think it's because I had too much reducer added and it blead through the tape, not under the edges. At least that's the only reason I could think of why it happened. 

That is what I think happened here. The solvents soak through the masks and only the fumes can irritate clear parts as happend here with the lower fuselage window, which had residues on the inside, not on the masked outside. Same with the armored glass under the windscreen.
When I have a spare canopy on one of my next builds, I will try to solve the problem with a coat of Pledge on the clear parts. I skipped that here, because the parts were extremely clear, with no need to enhance that.
The little color bleeding I had, was easily removed with a toothpick. 

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

Sounds similar to the CA fumes that can fog the clear plastic. Will the Pledge help?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Will the Pledge help?

Yes, Pledge doesn't fog from CA... Especially the gel CA's....

I eventually went to canopy glues for all clear styrene...

Looks to me like the paint pigments were carried under the friskit masks by the thinners.... Friskit masks work well for straight up paint, or mildly thinned paint, not so well on highly thinned paint.... The fact that you could just rub it off tells the tale.... Straight paint would have attached to the styrene... I would suggest a liquid masking solution like Microscale's Micro Mask or similar when using highly thinned paints...

And always dip canopies into future (pledge) before masking and painting....

I've had those heart attack moments before I learned the lesson.... (once after a 4 month build on a glass nosed B-24 and a second on a glass nosed B-25) I had to strip the canopies and do it over....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks EG. That's what I thought. I normally use Future to gloss coat under decals. Not much call for clear windows on freight cars. Just cabeese and passenger cars. 😄

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

16 hours ago, Canute said:

Sounds similar to the CA fumes that can fog the clear plastic. Will the Pledge help?

I normally dip my canopies in Pledge and never had issues with CA fumes. I have to test it for the thinned lacquer colors though.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

13 hours ago, Egilman said:

Yes, Pledge doesn't fog from CA... Especially the gel CA's....

I eventually went to canopy glues for all clear styrene...

Looks to me like the paint pigments were carried under the friskit masks by the thinners.... Friskit masks work well for straight up paint, or mildly thinned paint, not so well on highly thinned paint.... The fact that you could just rub it off tells the tale.... Straight paint would have attached to the styrene... I would suggest a liquid masking solution like Microscale's Micro Mask or similar when using highly thinned paints...

And always dip canopies into future (pledge) before masking and painting....

I've had those heart attack moments before I learned the lesson.... (once after a 4 month build on a glass nosed B-24 and a second on a glass nosed B-25) I had to strip the canopies and do it over....

I use Revell's Contacta Clear for canopies and similar parts, which may is a thinned variant of PVA. 

I had some issues with masking fluids onto pledged canopies, but maybe that was caused, because I left the masks on for some weeks. I like to do painting and weathering of canopies along the rest of the build, to get the looks right. But this also means, long time masking.

I tried a lot of different liquid masks, but Microscale's was the worst for me. It's so hard to remove, that I almost binned a build, because of it. Now I'm using mainly Mr. Hobby Sol R and Sol neo. One is water based and less aggressive.

I was lucky, I was able to clean the residues, but it was a tough job to pry away the clear parts already glued in place without destroying them. I feel with you about your nose glazing and having to strip them. I'm a clear parts coward, but my luck with them often fails, even when I'm really careful.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I had some issues with masking fluids onto pledged canopies, but maybe that was caused, because I left the masks on for some weeks. I like to do painting and weathering of canopies along the rest of the build, to get the looks right. But this also means, long time masking.

Absolutely my friend, Microscales product only works for a few days before it attaches and becomes next to impossible to remove....  In situations where the masking has to stay on for multiple applications of spray products I found that regular old latex silicone painters clear caulk works the best.... Won't harden for months, can be spread thinly and sticks without lifting from liquids, is absolutely impenetrable to paint & thinner products but it easily pulls off when you want to remove it... The one problem is it is only available in contractor grade quantities... So using it becomes cost prohibitive given the amount we typically use on models and there is no way to seal it up to prevent drying in the container....

The application of it to canopies and any kind of glass like framework is to mask off the areas you want to paint, spread on a thin coat, then while still wet pull the masks off the frames leaving a future coated, caulked canopy with just the frames exposed to paint... I know it sounds kinda backwards, but it works... (if the model is worth the costs associated with this technique)

I prefer Formula 560 for affixing canopies and windows, personal preference, (second choice would be Gator's Grip Thin Blend) and they give me the least headache when I have to remove one....

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I was lucky, I was able to clean the residues, but it was a tough job to pry away the clear parts already glued in place without destroying them. I feel with you about your nose glazing and having to strip them. I'm a clear parts coward, but my luck with them often fails, even when I'm really careful.

Yep that one of the bumpy trails we go down in our journey's, all I can say is keep trying and experimenting with other products till you find the combination that works for you... And once you do, never look back....

This one aside from the bleed under looks like it worked well.... It happens to everyone eventually...

Nice recovery...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

After a lot of swearing, cleaning up the gooey mess into which the blue tack turned, which I used for masking the cooling fairings, I finally finished with these issues and did something more productive. I added the landing gear, a trouble free affair and the landing gear doors, which still need a bit of weathering to fit in.

P1000163.JPG.e02c97e0a6673470e6f6ca9bc904ba31.JPG

P1000178.JPG.318a0ab76cce8772fc6a6e7bb0bb99f9.JPG

Then I cleaned the clear parts and refitted them, luckily without any issues.

P1000176.JPG.d17149290bc3111fcce684b3c00f7aa6.JPG

...and now it starts to look like a Corsair, but still a lot of things to do.

P1000172.JPG.b684f85b2389daea2c8edf8ba9b1d998.JPG

P1000173.JPG.af084b810558c7cb14ad18cb6b4ff7eb.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Amazing  Stunning work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I love that PSP base, did you create it, or was it purchased?

Looks great with the plane sitting on it...

Quote:

Superb work, Rob. And like EG says,  great looking base.

Ken

Your problems have been overcome - patience is a good thing!

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Thank you @Old Collingwood, @Egilman, @Canute and @NavyShooter, I'm lucky that I was able to solve these issues close to the finish line, the time where it hurts most and is most daunting, at least to me, as I'm not blessed with a great deal of patience.

I will go on to the finishing touches and will call the build done soon. 
The base is made by Zoukei Moura, it is casted resin and ready painted. I have three different of these bases for a quick presentation of different planes, when I'm to lazy to build a dio for the kit.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Fantastic details. Waiting for the final,

cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Super work Rob!  Really well done!

I love the base.  I have a few of them on the shelf for upcoming builds, glad to see they turn out really nicely.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well, the Corsair is called finished and I'd like to thank you for your input and your encouragement. I could have done more weathering and finishing in the end, but I got a bit worn out. Not because of the build or the painting, which was especially fun, but with the latest steps of the build, like clear coating, adding bits and pieces, ... tried my patience, as a lot went wrong, in a phase of the build, where I hated it most, after painting. 
I want to end the modeling year on a good term though and have to say, I'm more or less pleased with the result. The planned painting scheme including double layer chipping and masking for markings and stencils all went well. The build itself was a no brainer, with the Tamiya quality and was more a time consuming obstacle to get to the painting stage.
I have to raise my hat to the Tamiya engineers. This is maybe the best kit, ever made in plastic, being complex and full of innovative design ideas. The level of detail you get out of the box is impressive, except maybe for the rubber wheels.

The non painted pilot next to the Corsair is a symbol for the ambivalent ending this build took and that's why he's there. Maybe I paint him later, but first I have to clean my workbench and get some distance.

Cheers Rob

P1000210.JPG.cb9cf93878670f8591627b4aecb4fd42.JPG

P1000211.JPG.127aef59a04e091e131f90b1ca0ed0aa.JPG

P1000212.JPG.76bcad8500284963cc8053fc12b431a6.JPG

P1000213.JPG.c0aae9e3adb8bb58d806d0ace3546c39.JPG

P1000214.JPG.ee2e7b973b93ffe1e9f1507dc44b4de0.JPG

P1000216.JPG.6b473f8fc59c888a23c3a7a57107d48b.JPG

P1000219.JPG.d01167095de569dfbe96721a9e0f75f7.JPG

P1000220.JPG.a63e009d878e28546e53b02013b69a4f.JPG

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Beautiful model Rob! You should be very proud. I understand the bit of frustration you note at the end of the build. I feel the same way on two RC boats I’m wrapping up. Lots of little details that take time. However, mentally I’ve moved on to other projects I want to start. At times like this I guess it’s best to do what’s necessary and call it good. Thanks for sharing this build and all the best on your next project!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

A superb model Rob!

I am in awe of your weathering skills, the Corsair looks absolutely stunning. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, James G said:

Beautiful model Rob! You should be very proud. I understand the bit of frustration you note at the end of the build. I feel the same way on two RC boats I’m wrapping up. Lots of little details that take time. However, mentally I’ve moved on to other projects I want to start. At times like this I guess it’s best to do what’s necessary and call it good. Thanks for sharing this build and all the best on your next project!

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

A superb model Rob!

I am in awe of your weathering skills, the Corsair looks absolutely stunning. 

Thank you James and Edward, in review it was a fun project and mostly successful. My emphasize was on painting and weathering, the build was just routine. Again, I learned a lot with this build, as I normally chose my subjects with an idea to incorporate new techniques. I get easily bored and have to feed my patience with challenges constantly. 

Like James mentioned, it's best to chose a certain point and call the project done, because is a build really ever done entirely ;)?

My next project will be a maritime one, as on Large Scale Modeler starts a 'All Wet' group build on Sunday. I'm not finally decided, but these are my options:

- Fore Models Schnellboot S-38 in 1/72 along with a crew.
- Industria Mechanika's  Long Nose Submersible, a steam punk mini submarine in 1/35

- USS Arizona from Eduard which is based on a Hobby Boss kit, with added metal barrels, tons of PE, printed parts and a wooden deck

Or I continue with the rigging of my Duchess of Kingston build

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

superb jog on the Corsair Rob........the paint work is really spectacular!  I've done a little on masking detail markings,  but not to the level you did on this one.....they came out great! :)   really nice looking bird!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fantastic model of my favorite WW2 airplanes! Waaaay beyond my skill sets

I had asked 'Santa' for one but 'he' decided that the 1/48 scale Tamiya P-47D Razorback was better. Oh well, it will get built soon, Daughters just don't always know those kinds of things

It looked like you were using that blue junk tape for masking, Try the 3m Precision tape or their fine line instead. I've used them for years with solvent based paints on cars with no problems with bleed through or goo remaining: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40067117/

Your Corsair is a superb build. 👍 Thanks for sharing this blog.

Ken

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Well, the Corsair is called finished and I'd like to thank you for your input and your encouragement. I could have done more weathering and finishing in the end, but I got a bit worn out.

I understand, having suffered the same thing... I think it's perfect, no one could have done better... And your master level weathering is the icing on the cake so to speak... It is in scale and appropriate for the subject...

Very well done...

Quote:

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

My next project will be a maritime one,

- USS Arizona from Eduard which is based on a Hobby Boss kit, with added metal barrels, tons of PE, printed parts and a wooden deck

Personally, it's been a while since I've seen a decent Arizona build... I have the same kit coming to stash next to my Banner AZ and everything I've collected over the years for it... Lotsa options as far as coloration for her as well given the state of paint in the US Navy circa 1940/41....

It's a stunning model when complete....

Quote:

18 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

superb jog on the Corsair Rob........the paint work is really spectacular!  I've done a little on masking detail markings,  but not to the level you did on this one.....they came out great! :)   really nice looking bird!

Thank you popeye, the masking was one of the main aims through that build and I have to say, it worked great. Much easier to weather according to the weathering of the whole plane, controllable in color and rendition and no silvering issues. The process is tedious and time consuming, but that's the price for not having reflective stencils under the harsh light of the final photos of your build.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

17 hours ago, David W said:

Fantastic model of my favorite WW2 airplanes! Waaaay beyond my skill sets

I had asked 'Santa' for one but 'he' decided that the 1/48 scale Tamiya P-47D Razorback was better. Oh well, it will get built soon, Daughters just don't always know those kinds of things

It looked like you were using that blue junk tape for masking, Try the 3m Precision tape or their fine line instead. I've used them for years with solvent based paints on cars with no problems with bleed through or goo remaining: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40067117/

Thank you, you should definitely build one David. Skill sets are only limited by not developing them and I'm often amazed, what is achiveable with a bit of planning and trying out.
I was using good Kabuki tape for masking in my opinion the best material, as it cuts very precise, it doesn't shrink and it adheres well, even in tight spots and corners. Most of the residues on the clear parts were from the inside, like caused by fumes and not through the color application directly.
I have to establish a better workflow, when using lacquer paints with their aggressive thinners. I never had these issues with acrylics, but the lacquers spray so well. I will dig into that with other builds and test, if a bath in Future may help.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

17 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Very nice, Rob! And good on you for the perseverance on this one!

17 hours ago, Canute said:

Your Corsair is a superb build. 👍 Thanks for sharing this blog.

10 hours ago, Javlin said:

Don't sell it short Rob looks stunning just sitting there.Me I am doing the S-100 1/72 the PE will keep one busy still studying paints?:imNotWorthy:

and it's "Get Wet" :P

Thank you Chris, Ken and Kevin, writing this blog was a pleasure and helped me documenting my work. It also helped me a lot through your input to clear a lot of questions I had, that's what forums are made for ;).
Thank you Chris for changing the title. In LSM, where I also posted this blog and which is my other 'home' in modelling, there is a finished build section and I have to adapt here :D.
Kevin, I liked your Fokker which carries the same livery, I chose for my future build in 1/32 and I'm looking forward to your next build.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

I understand, having suffered the same thing... I think it's perfect, no one could have done better... And your master level weathering is the icing on the cake so to speak... It is in scale and appropriate for the subject...

Very well done...

Muchas gracias Egilman, I always try to emphasize on the scale effect, when it comes to painting and weathering. Some Corsairs, I've seen build looked amazing, but the weathering sometimes didn't look right scale wise. Another subject, I try to keep in mind is, how reflective are different materials and coats in there usual lighting condition, an area often overlooked in modeling. One of my driving forces in modeling ist to replicate materials as good as possible with the tools and techniques I have learned. In other words, de-plastic plastic kits :D.

Personally, it's been a while since I've seen a decent Arizona build... I have the same kit coming to stash next to my Banner AZ and everything I've collected over the years for it... Lotsa options as far as coloration for her as well given the state of paint in the US Navy circa 1940/41....

It's a stunning model when complete....

I'm on thin ice here, I never built a 350 scale ship and I'm no expert on the USS Arizona either. I'm more of an imaginative builder and painter and therefore fear subjects too well documented ;). I have a ME-BF 109 started since years, but it's a shelf queen now. There are just too many experts out there, to show them my interpretation.
The Hobby Boss plastic of the USS Arizona looks horrible, but with all the PE, printed parts and wooden deck, it should look decent in the end.
I'm still undecided about the next build, it will be a spontaneous decision.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard