From out of the shadows ...my first post!

RobTBay

I've been hanging around on this forum for quite some time (only the last five years as an actual member), quietly reading and following build logs, enjoying my quiet time in the forum. My ship modelling has been in fits and starts over the last 25 years, which has discouraged me a little from being a more active member. But I've finally come into a period where work and family life are no longer demanding 120% of my time, and there is some time for modelling again. So, I thought it was time to introduce myself and start participating a little.

As a kid I built a lot of plastic models of all sorts, although I think in hindsight my favorites were probably naval subjects ...I guess I should have taken that as a hint! Then I moved on to balsa airplanes, then model railroads, then I took a break from modelling. In graduate school I returned to balsa airplanes for a while, I think mostly as a way to avoid writing my thesis! :rolleyes: Got interested in sailing, then promptly moved away from the big lake for work. 🙁 Read voraciously on sailing and boats. Then one day I came across a small wooden boat model, the only one in the store, bought it, and was hooked. Not long after that a friend was leaving town, and as we helped pack up his house, this partially started ship model kit came out of the closet which he handed to me ...he had got started but realized he was lost and wasn't ever going to finish it. I had no trouble taking it over! And then life gets in the way of modelling...

I have periodically dusted off the models and made minor progress. Neither is actually finished yet. My original Sharpie Schooner (Midwest 3/8" scale) is now making good progress again and the donated Harvey (Artesania Latina 1:50) has actually slowly worked backwards as I've undone some of the work previously done and made plans as to where to take it! 

I have really been itching to set my teeth into the larger Harvey model, but the almost non-existent instructions in the kit, lack of an actual prototype reference to follow, and some non-prototypical decision in the kit design has made me a little hesitant to start, I want to figure out how to make something at least prototype-like. So, I decided on a slight change of direction. I want to start a more involved build with a model that has at least some semblance of decent instructions, some active builds on the forum for support, has at least some prototype reference material, a subject that interests me, and of course something not too expensive ...since I already have two models on the go! 

I picked up the HMS Beagle (OcCre 1:60) and have just started roaming through the parts and comparing the parts list and instructions. Looks like it will check the boxes reasonably well, seems to follow the prototype reasonably (as best I can tell so far) and there is some room to try my hand at making some adjustments to refine things a bit ...it's always fun to make your own stuff!

I'll will try my hand at doing a build log for the Beagle. The Sharpie Schooner is so far along, I'm not sure if it is worth it at this point? Once I get the Beagle under my belt, I'll start a build log for the Harvey ...unless something else catches my eye (and the "assigned" budget allows! 🙂).

See you around the forum.

Rob

This is the place to be, as you know, lots will help along the way  Happy. Building!! :sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

9 hours ago, RobTBay said:

there is some room to try my hand at making some adjustments to refine things a bit ...it's always fun to make your own stuff!

Rob,

Welcome!!!!

"Kit bashing" is a great idea with some kits to take the model to the next level, especially the planking, replacing the gratings, and replacing the bowling pins provided with belaying pins in some cases.  You might consider taking a little time to study the planking tutorial by David Antscherl here in the MSW gallery and the YouTube videos by Chuck Passaro

It takes time, but there is SOOOOO much information right here in the MSW build logs to study that will help you.   Study the scratch builds as well as the kit builds to get a better idea of what can be done.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:piratebo5:Rob, welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@allanyed I have read the planking tutorials and watched chuck's videos before, as well as looked at quite a few build logs and posts. But it's a great reminder to go back and review that stuff again before jumping ahead too quickly. 

@druxey Winter arrived about three weeks ago up here ...nothing major, just snow on the ground and cool temperature for most of the month. Can't complain about a little bit of snow and the cold when you consider the weather events in other places!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. 

Rob

What's the forum etiquette, or typically people's opinions, on starting a build log on a half-finished model?

I was intending to start a build log for the Beagle that I'm just beginning. But at the same time I'll be continuing to work on completing the Sharpie Schooner. Hull is assembled and painted, most of the spars and components have been prepared. I still have to add the rudder and some trim, fit the prepared spars and add various deck fittings ...and of course I still have the rigging and sails to complete. So maybe not that close to finishing!? 🙂

Thoughts?

Rob

Welcome from down under (the lake).

Looking forward to seeing your build log.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

On 11/26/2022 at 9:45 PM, RobTBay said:

What's the forum etiquette, or typically people's opinions, on starting a build log on a half-finished model?

Hey Rob, I discovered MSW right as I was finishing my first ship model (see link below for CSS Alabama).  I had taken a bunch of pictures along the way so I decided to post a build log even though I had just finished the model.  I was hoping I would get some constructive comments from some of the master builders out here.  And let me tell you, I was not disappointed!!  I learned sooooo much from all the comments.

So even though you are halfway done, I would highly recommend starting a build log ASAP.      

Edited by Glen McGuire