P-47 by Javlin - FINISHED - Trumpter - 1/32 - "Sigma Nu Girl" -

I started this one some years ago have lost the front windscreen 2/3 times and found it again(thought I would graph the Hase).This will be my first time using mask for the letter code and insignia provided by Montex.I usually keep my fighters clean but this girl gets the full layout 500lb bombs with rocket launchers(Hasegawa).I have only three unfinished kits after this from the SOD.;)

P-47 001.JPG

P-47 002.JPG

P-47 003.JPG

So here's my first attempt at using production mask and by Montex.The event is a bit time consuming for me but give it that it's my first rodeo.The "P" was positioned about 1/8" to low and the "stars/bars" about a 1/4" to high got to redo it no bigee.The mask pulled off some OD over some grey I call it my mistake it had been painted literally 45 mins earlier me impatient I say.I do not know if anybody has used this Mr.Color re-conditioner but the stuff is excellente. I brought back some MM Insignia Blue tonight that just about ready for the trash can.I am off tomorrow night will give it another crack I do like the effect!:unworthy:

P-47 001.JPG

P-47 002.JPG

P-47 003.JPG

The mask are complete though not perfect I think it will function well enough for my first Rodeo it's all decals from here on out.I can pic it apart this here and that there so if I am grading myself I go 80/C,I'll take it.I also do not think this is the end of my Rodeo career.:) Well here's the pics warts and all.;)

P-47 001.JPG

P-47 002.JPG

That's looking really great Kevin.  I used the Montex masks for the insignia/numbering on my Buffalo and was really happy with how things came out.  A lot of stress in making sure that the mask went on in the right place - decals in this regard are a lot easier of course - but no potential issue of silvering, etc. that you get with decals.  

Did the Sigma Nu Girl decal have the brown background behind the lettering, or was it clear?  If it was brown, you did a fantastic job matching the colors together.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

20 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Did the Sigma Nu Girl decal have the brown background behind the lettering, or was it clear?  If it was brown, you did a fantastic job matching the colors together.

It was clear Mike at first it looked like it was going to be opaque looking but applied some softener and it cleared up and hid itself.Mike life must be keeping you busy of late? alittle of the incognito been going on :P

Oh cool, that's good to know thanks!  I'll have to look into these Montex combo decals/masks then.

I've been mostly busy with kid stuff this summer, but have been working on finishing up some of the models on my bench.  Not much to report - doing the NeOmega catapult for my Walrus has monopolized a good week plus, but I'm finally on the home stretch 👍  Thanks for asking!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

She might come out a good looking "Girl" after all?The canopy is not glued down and neither is the tank.The 250lb bombs are drying and need to be weathered .The whole model got covered with Tamiya brown wash with a 1/2" brush sit for thirty minutes and started the wipe.I then came back over that with Tamiya light dust on the upper surfaces and sand on the bottom.The flat clear went on very low pressure and light from a distance so as not to soak the pastels then you can lay it.The prop was painted silver way back and Nato Black very thin on top use a knife to chip.The wheels is the most I have ever gone after a set and think it will pass AK mud paint mixed with the Tamiya pastels from earlier thinking the mud was a waste here but needed to play with it.She's going to look the work horse when done! ;)

P-47 001.JPG

P-47 002.JPG

P-47 004.JPG

Awesome Thud, Kevin. Now you have my attention to start/finish mine. 

Mr Color replenisher is a godsend for their metallic range of paints. For some reason, they seem to dry out quite a bit. I read where some say not to shake the paint after adding replenisher, but instead to stir it up. Not sure what difference it would make but I've been following the advice to stir.

I am ready to position this one in the cabinet feels good to get her finished!I learned a bit with this one using mask and more weathering I have like 8 more mask coming from Hannants.Thanks for looking in guys and the support along the way even a Trumpter can look OK.;)

P-47 001.JPG

P-47 002.JPG

P-47 003.JPG

P-47 004.JPG

P-47 005.JPG

P-47 006.JPG

P-47 007.JPG

P-47 008.JPG

Came out great Kevin!!  Nice job!

Mike

Loverly job  -  came our really well.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1