I am sad and devastated to announce the passing of Jim Byrnes, my dear friend and owner of Model Machines

Were this Japan,  Jim would qualify as a national treasure. His skill, craftsmanship, precision, and material selection has no competition.  His determination to do it right  harkens back  to a lost era and was rare even then. 

Would that he had trained up a group of apprentices.  His passing will leave an immense hole.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I am heartbroken to hear the news of Jims passing. Like many I have met and conversed with Jim and Donna for many years. Finer people you will not find. My sincere condolences to Donna and the rest of the family. Jim will be truly missed.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I went to the Model Machines site this morning to order some supplies and just saw the tragic news. Though not a modeler, I've been buying his equipment for the past 11 years and greatly appreciated the advice and guidance he gave me.  Looking around here, there's a lot of work that he made possible. No matter how the family decides to go forward, he has left a legacy for us all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Very Sad News.  My sincere condolences to Jim's wife Donna and the family.  Although I never had the pleasure to meet Jim personally, I know he was one of the stalwarts in our ship modeling community.  He will be missed but not forgotten.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi folks, does anyone know if Donna has returned to the business yet?  I have tried contacting her several times (two different email addresses) but have not heard anything back.  Grieving can take a while to come to grips with, and I fully understand if she has decided not to return yet - simply asking.  I do not wish to pester her with emails until she is comfortable.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I ordered from the website two weeks ago and the order was promptly dispatched. But the order was for accessories/sanding paper. With regards to the actual hard goods I believe the family is still working on a plan to maintain the business but this will take awhile.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I have also been off-side and just heard about this sad news.

My condolences go to his family. Having a very close, young (37) relative being diagnosed with ALS I know how this disease can hit you like a rock.

Hans.