Hi from Scotland

N80FTY

Hi Everyone,

My name is Andrew. I'm building my first ship which is the, DeAgostini, HMS Victory. 1/84

Yes I know this is not really a beginner ship, but please bear with me and let me explain myself so you understand a bit more why.

I have certain mental health issues, Depression, Personality disorder which leads to me not wanting to be here. So instead of constantly thinking on how and which way to leave this place, I decided to try model ship building and it takes my mind off due to the concentration needed. First off don't worry I've lived with this my whole life and have always found ways to deal with this. So NO sympathy please, Just browse help or question away like I'm an ordinary person. 

If I write something that is not correct or misunderstood please let me know and I will fix it or rephase it.

I'm only here to enjoy myself and learn from others like I have done since April this year.

Since April I have started building the DeAgostini, HMS Victory. 1/84, and I have turned to this website more often than I will like to admit. So thank you everyone who builds the HMS Victory. Caldercraft included as these are the ones I seem to come across more often. But the information, techniques and individuals input and methods are very similar and useful across all builds. This has helped me so much to the stage I am currently at.

Specifically to John builds iconic military models, as his videos have also helped me out so much. Albeit he upset me this week when he showed the Caldercraft, HMS Victory. 1/72. 

So I am now currently trying to save up £1050 to buy the Caldercraft and will likely build both. DeAgostini due to the sails and Caldercraft for better detail and quality. The sails on the DeAgostini is one of the reason that made me go for it as well. I've never seen the Caldercraft with sails yet. (Only the rigging).

Once I have the Caldercraft HMS Victory I will try to get both to the same stage and build them roughly to the same stages.

Anyway, this was a little about me. Feel free to ask whatever you wish, Or give some input.

Edited by N80FTY

Welcome aboard, Andrew, and good luck on both of your projects!

BTW, the answer to your question that you posted elsewhere is that this should go in the kit build logs section in the 1750-1800 category.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Good luck on your journey, everything you need to know is here at MSW. Enjoy the voyage.  Welcome aboard.    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, N80FTY said:

I decided to try model ship building and it takes my mind off due to the concentration needed.

I often have trouble sleeping, think too much about work, and find 1-2 hours working on the model clears my head and I sleep great.  Good luck and I am looking forward to your HMS Victory build.   

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

Welcome Andrew, you'll find the building really helpful.

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

Welcome to MSW Andrew.  This is an outstanding modeling community.  Everyone is very friendly, supportive and knowledgeable.  There are several MSW members who have freely shared their research with me.  I really love this forum.

What references are you using?  I highly recommend John McKay's Anatomy of the Ship series for the 100 gun ship Victory.  Of course, you should get the classic "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" by Nepean Longridge.  While Longridge's book is somewhat pricey, it will pay you back in spades if you are building a Victory model.

I also suffer from severe bouts of depression.  Modeling, especially ships and aircraft in wood has been my therapy for years.  Modeling helps me focus on something other than my condition.  I make gifts of many of my creations to the surprise of the recipients.

I wish you all the best.  Feel free to PM (private message) me anytime.  If you click on my avatar of the Wawona you can find my personal email address.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner