TRE KRONER 1742 by Beckmann - 3"/8' scale - Transom-Model

The safe choice would be natural wood. However, light grey or pale gray-green might be other choices to consider. Usually the 'red' was actually red ochre; a brownish red.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

First off, congratulations on you wonderful carpentry. Your joinery would pass inspection if enlarged to full size. It'll look beautiful whatever you do but personally I would opt for the natural wood with a varnish.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Moin Matthias,

I would paint the great cabin turquoise, in a blue or green tone. That is for the rococo period a good choice. The officers cabins white and all rooms for the ordinary seamen red. Natural wood only when ist was walnut or something like this. 

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

Based on contemporary models at the Danish Krigsmuseet (War Museum), it seems to me that blue was not really used much on Danish ships after the 1720's (it was quite used in the 1600's though!). The colour palette of this period seems to be red, black, white  and yellow/gold. But the interior of the contemporary models are not detailed, so there are room for speculation/interpretation. 

I would go with natural or red - or perhaps a clean off-white?

BR

TJM

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, and thank you for your interest and comments.

Not much has happened since my last post, but I have decided on a color to be used for the paneling of the “underste Kajyt”. Siggi had suggested a turquoise color, which is common for the rococo-style. In addition to all sorts of other suggestions such as grey, natural or red, I somehow stuck with it. Not because it was historically vouched for my model, but because it is something different from the usual red and white, and spreads a Northern European-Scandinavian cool atmosphere, which I like for my model, it is not English, so red would have been a good choice.

It may still be a little intense, but I'll leave it that way for now:

X-1.thumb.jpg.a6d4c77baa8c65e6753c55e9fdf62f40.jpg

In the Danish National Archives, under the archive number A 1175d, there is a layout of the stern cabins of the Orlog ship ELEPHANTEN (same size, same designer and same year of construction as the TRE KRONER) and under the archive number A 975 an elaborately drawn longitudinal section of a Danish ship oft he line, which also shows the paneling of the “underste Kajyt” and the “Storre Kajyt” (great cabin). The “Storre Kajyt” has fluted flat columns with Corinthian capitals.

X-2.thumb.jpg.285892e9f895f96b7a9aaf0b8c41abf2.jpg

X-3.thumb.jpg.fd7e488831d948e5674cc138e45e7367.jpg

I am basing my model on both drawings, i.e. there will be no partitions in the areas of my stern section and the paneling in the upper cabin will be correspondingly more elaborate.

Further clues are provided by a contemporary cutaway model from the Krigsmuseet, where the rudder trunk, the stern bench and a bookshelf are beautifully depicted, and the preserved interior of the Swedish royal yacht AMPHION in the Sjohistoriska Museet in Stockholm. It doesn't have to be quite so magnificent, but the columns and the paneling are comparable to the sectional drawing A 975 (see above) I visited and photographed the Amphion myself, it is extremely impressive.

X-4.thumb.jpg.6ec8af4f7b71f7a8d4b04e6aef72f75a.jpg

X-5.jpg.e8808353a5e43d3d24f5d857830ca382.jpg

X-6.jpg.19dc4ad9e1c8a2f5e1b257d25459d8c2.jpg

X-7.jpg.79c36d30003696dbb4f87c63a8f5bc20.jpg

X-8.jpg.7f67d714dd36e1c71eaa63f38756c206.jpg

Best regards,

Matthias

Moin Matthias,

that looks very good. But don't make the color sooo dark. More so in the direction of your last pictures. These light colors are not so good to determine, is it light green or blue. That is what I mean with turquoise. 

Mostly you may see how the cabins where painted at the sides of the portholes. Here the Victory SLR0512

Edited by Siggi52

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

The color you show does look too intense. Even if this was what was used, it should be tinted (lightened) at scale size to look right.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv