P-47D-30RA Thunderbolt by CDW - MiniArt Advanced Kit - 1:48 Scale

When I first saw this model was coming out, I thought I could do without it. The price tag was north of $50 and the venerable (though long in the tooth, fabulous, 1:48 scale Tamiya Thunderbolt kit was already in my stash. But then I saw one of these MiniArt kits built and I knew I wanted one. MiniArt have produced some nice kits, but this may be their best offering yet. I found this one on sale at an online hobby shop and ordered it up. While I won't be starting the build for a while, I thought you might want to see what's inside the box. Two very nice decal sheets with markings for three different aircraft, a photo etch sheet, a beautiful instruction booklet and a ton of styrene plastic sprues/parts. Every ordnance used by the 'bolt is included to choose from for your specific build. I'm looking forward to building and detailing mine with all the panels open to expose the fine details. The big radial engine is a kit all by itself and rivals any aftermarket resin engine kit. About the only thing I may add will be fabric belts and harness in the cockpit and some lead wire for details.

DSCN3925.JPG

DSCN3926.JPG

DSCN3927.JPG

DSCN3928.JPG

DSCN3929.JPG

DSCN3930.JPG

DSCN3931.JPG

DSCN3932.JPG

DSCN3933.JPG

DSCN3934.JPG

DSCN3935.JPG

DSCN3936.JPG

DSCN3937.JPG

DSCN3938.JPG

Looks  like a  nice  sharp kit.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks like a lot of details there.

And I thought I recognized the "Tarheel Hal" livery.  The first picture below is from the 2011 Wings over Houston air show.  The other three are from an air show in 2006 in San Antonio, Tx, I believe it was at Lackland Air Force Base.  Back then they had an air show every fall that alternated between Lackland and Randolph AFB, so it was one of those two.

20111015_0362.jpg.c7bbce98dacfce50d81f5870ac036a9b.jpg

Picture030.jpg.139307ce128ba71034ecca63dd682975.jpg

Picture048.jpg.c79ae3b1db4c0c8bb56d2f18ef78e407.jpg

Picture217.jpg.7de1e16a059271eb908c8e6d674f793f.jpg

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Looking forward to the start of this build, Craig.  This was a big, rugged bird.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hey Craig, great subject!  The kit looks really nice - I have the Tamiya one but this Miniart kit looks amazing.  Not sure if you saw, but Plasmo recently built this kit:

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Should be a nice kit, Craig. Peterpools over on LSM recently built the basic version of the kit and made a build log

MiniArt P-47D Thunderbolt: COMPLETED 2/13/24 - LSM 1/48 Work in Progress - Large Scale Modeller

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48