B-25J Mitchell by Chadwijm6 - HK Models - 1/32

Posted (edited)

To get to specifics, the first and last pics are right on for a used engine in the hangar, the first as it is about to go into an aircraft and the last as it came out... And they are two different versions, the brass ignition ring is the earlier of the two, the last is an aluminum ring... (late/post war engine)

The three middle pics are indoor museum displays, specifically cleaned and painted for display....

The first and last are on USAAF issue engine stands, the three in the middle are on custom stands...

Great pics.... Excellent pics in fact to establish the real engine... (and in specific periods of it's time, you got it covered)

Good choices, well done..

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 hours ago, Egilman said:

To get to specifics, the first and last pics are right on for a used engine in the hangar, the first as it is about to go into an aircraft and the last as it came out... And they are two different versions, the brass ignition ring is the earlier of the two, the last is an aluminum ring... (late/post war engine)

The three middle pics are indoor museum displays, specifically cleaned and painted for display....

The first and last are on USAAF issue engine stands, the three in the middle are on custom stands...

Great pics.... Excellent pics in fact to establish the real engine... (and in specific periods of it's time, you got it covered)

Good choices, well done..

Fabulous. As I'm intending to build a dio that has the plane in a museum on display I'll be going for the look of the middle 3 with the brass ring I think. 

Thanks for taking the time EG, your knowledge really is a great help for me. 👍🏻😁

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

My pleasure Chad...

If you need to know the bolt size for the windscreen to frame connection let me know... (no joke)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

4 minutes ago, CDW said:

I have a question for you...

How do I know when I'm running low on invisible ink?

I haven't a clue.... but I can probably find out how to make some.... {chuckle} If you really really need it....

Quote:

I'm thinking of expanding my museum idea with the addition of another plane and I LOVE the looks of the Corsair.

Does anyone have any experience of the available kits? I'm tempted to spend the money and get the Tamiya.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60327-vought-f4u-1d-corsair--1080203

I think a fighter and a bomber next to each other would look cool (my wife thinks the word 'cool' doesn't apply to plastic models but I disagree 😂)

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

James, you can't go wrong with the Tamiya Corsair in 1/32 scale. The Cybermodeler site has a page full of references and reviews: https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f4u/f4u_all.shtml

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The Tamiya Corsairs are absolutely fantastic kits. If you are willing to spend the money, you shouldn´t hesitate. I built two so far, a Birdcage was my re enter the hobby kit many years ago and recently I built the -1A variant,  of which the log can be found in my signature.
I´m eager to see your progress with the B-25 dio. I have the Gun nose variant and would have started the build as a Navy PBJ version, if another member of Large Scale Modeler hadn´t started the same build in our recent twins group build over there. That´s why I build the WWI AEG bomber instead.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

1 hour ago, Canute said:

James, you can't go wrong with the Tamiya Corsair in 1/32 scale. The Cybermodeler site has a page full of references and reviews: https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f4u/f4u_all.shtml

Thanks Ken, that's a great resource page

34 minutes ago, DocRob said:

The Tamiya Corsairs are absolutely fantastic kits. If you are willing to spend the money, you shouldn´t hesitate. I built two so far, a Birdcage was my re enter the hobby kit many years ago and recently I built the -1A variant,  of which the log can be found in my signature.
I´m eager to see your progress with the B-25 dio. I have the Gun nose variant and would have started the build as a Navy PBJ version, if another member of Large Scale Modeler hadn´t started the same build in our recent twins group build over there. That´s why I build the WWI AEG bomber instead.

Cheers Rob

I don't think I'll go far wrong reading your build log first then Rob. 

I think I'll get it then 😁 

Thanks chaps

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

The Tamiya Corsairs, (there is more than one) are probably the most built, (and considered the best kits if you can handle the price) But if budget is a consideration, there is the grand old Revell Corsair that can be built into a stunning model as well...

Plenty of build logs and plenty of aftermarket out there for it as well... At one time it was the only game in town in 1/32.... Still widely available as well...

Not looking to change your mind if you have your heart set on a Tamiya, but the Revell bird is the grandaddy of Corsair models, and deserves a mention in any convo on 1/32 scale corsairs.... 

Wow an F4U and a PBJ in the same display.... I'm down if you wanna go that route...

Quote:

50 minutes ago, Egilman said:

The Tamiya Corsairs, (there is more than one) are probably the most built, (and considered the best kits if you can handle the price) But if budget is a consideration, there is the grand old Revell Corsair that can be built into a stunning model as well...

Plenty of build logs and plenty of aftermarket out there for it as well... At one time it was the only game in town in 1/32.... Still widely available as well...

Not looking to change your mind if you have your heart set on a Tamiya, but the Revell bird is the grandaddy of Corsair models, and deserves a mention in any convo on 1/32 scale corsairs.... 

Wow an F4U and a PBJ in the same display.... I'm down if you wanna go that route...

I looked at the Revell and a number of reviews/build logs of both and in the end I just thought I'd enjoy doing the Tamiya more. It's on its way now so I'll have to start working out where this Dio will go, it'll be pretty big!

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

Posted (edited)

So one of the issues I've been wondering about is if I use one of the engines for a display then I will have one missing for the plane. 

I've found this though...

Screenshot_20240505_172657_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d14e554129528e1657f23a2029932ff5.jpg

https://www.artscale.eu/132-engine-r2600-1

So I could build it up along with the 2 kit engines and then decide which I should display, assuming this would go in to the kit of course. Decisions....

Screenshot_20240505_173042_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240505_173046_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240505_173049_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240505_173052_Chrome.jpg

Edited by chadwijm6

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

Scratch that, apparently it's awful. 

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

Maybe this instead...

https://www.resin2detail.com/product-page/1-32-super-detailed-wright-twin-cyclone-r-2600-engine-upgrade-kit-early

It's an American company does anyone have any experience of them?

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chadwijm6 said:

Scratch that, apparently it's awful. 

He lost me when he started talking about 7 intakes and 7 exhausts... He doesn't even understand what he is building... The little kit has 14 intakes that he was showing you....

That's a good kit it just takes a bit of work... 

I will say that there are better kits out there...

I would pass...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

1 minute ago, Egilman said:

He lost me when he started talking about 7 intakes and 7 exhausts... He doesn't even understand what he is building... The little kit has 14 intakes that he was showing you....

That's a good kit it just takes a bit of work... 

I will say that there are better kits out there...

I thought you'd know EG. Thanks

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

Posted (edited)

The R2D looks very nice, and it's 3D printed, perfect for your display piece as all that detail will be covered up in the nacelles....

If I was going to do this now it's the one I would be buying... (and your corsair would benefit from that R-2800 he's showing as well)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

36 minutes ago, Egilman said:

The R2D looks very nice, and it's 3D printed, perfect for your display piece as all that detail will be covered up in the nacelles....

If I was going to do this now it's the one I would be buying...

Unfortunately they don't deliver to the UK due to Brexit. Maybe the other one then, I'm struggling to find any others. This is harder than I thought. The alternative I suppose would be the R2800 and put that in front of the Corsair 

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

5 hours ago, chadwijm6 said:

Unfortunately they don't deliver to the UK due to Brexit.

Wow, Guy sells internationally on e-Bay yet doesn't ship to the UK? 

https://www.ebay.com/str/resin2detail?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211

Something strange going on brother if that's the case...

Quote:

I think I understand what is going on with their UK shipping, he's trying to set up/find a UK dealer to handle his products.... Shipping directly to the UK would make such an arrangement less attractive...

Backwards thinking if you ask me.... His stuff looks great though.... and it's the first time I have ever heard of someone refusing to ship to the UK because of Brexit.... That makes no sense at all...

Quote:

7 hours ago, Egilman said:

I think I understand what is going on with their UK shipping, he's trying to set up/find a UK dealer to handle his products.... Shipping directly to the UK would make such an arrangement less attractive...

Backwards thinking if you ask me.... His stuff looks great though.... and it's the first time I have ever heard of someone refusing to ship to the UK because of Brexit.... That makes no sense at all...

Yeah it's a shame. I put the eBay product in the basket but it wouldn't let me check out. In the end I've taken a punt on this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285807719076?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FPw3t-c8Q1W&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Rl2cehC5Si-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Difficult to see what it's like but it's a lot cheaper so worth the risk.

Screenshot_20240506_095135_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240506_095138_eBay.jpg

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

On 5/5/2024 at 6:20 PM, Egilman said:

Not the first time I've read about this happening.   Seems the increase in import duties hasn't helped either.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 5/6/2024 at 1:53 AM, chadwijm6 said:

Yeah it's a shame. I put the eBay product in the basket but it wouldn't let me check out.

You have a PN brother....

Quote:

So after a few days visiting one of our kids in Falmouth I've returned to find that the decals I've ordered have arrived. But first a photo of the lovely boats in the harbour and the fantastic coastline for your enjoyment...

20240503_181923.thumb.jpg.88880f0dd3740f91d7e831a4789ae481.jpg20240503_181853.thumb.jpg.d06109efe5ebfdf0b319f7ff2c99d7f6.jpg20240506_155840.thumb.jpg.e264288c8a127ed85f32b787a5859379.jpg

20240506_155742.thumb.jpg.85e738b934e9ed463c66f7bedde47765.jpg

So on to the decals, I ordered them from Kitsworld in Essex and they also included some free samples. There's a couple of their Diorama airfield display bases, these are stickers effectively, plus some 3D cockpit decals and stencil masks. I'm not sure which model these are for but it's a nice touch and good promotion from them.

20240508_172639.thumb.jpg.97e6404168b8d7e5f5ac93c63f395063.jpg20240508_172657.thumb.jpg.5cfe07db75cdb6a10da93d2530642a8a.jpg

The decals look to be good quality, I'm a long way from using them at the moment though, so let's see later how they go on.

20240508_172628.thumb.jpg.3b9d24cc1e512c682b586ce01b88a23a.jpg20240508_172621.thumb.jpg.c3fd98333d33fc68ed69d690efc67eca.jpg

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

For the Corsair you can also use the Eduard Brassin engine. I built it many years ago and liked the detail. I think, I substituted the PE wiring harness with my own interpretation made from lead wire.
The best, you get some side cowlings made from ultra thin resin as well.

F4U-1 engine 1/32 - Eduard Store

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

12 minutes ago, DocRob said:

For the Corsair you can also use the Eduard Brassin engine. I built it many years ago and liked the detail. I think, I substituted the PE wiring harness with my own interpretation made from lead wire.
The best, you get some side cowlings made from ultra thin resin as well.

F4U-1 engine 1/32 - Eduard Store

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. 👍🏻

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

Dry fit of engine number 1. Still needs a lot of work yet before fitting the other parts, there's some paint and filing to do so it fits together better, but I'm liking the look of it. 

20240508_192933.jpg

20240508_192951.jpg

20240508_192958.jpg

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

If those are your aftermarkets they look very good.... Nice paintwork....

Quote:

1 minute ago, Egilman said:

If those are your aftermarkets they look very good.... Nice paintwork....

No, this is one of the engines supplied with the kit EG

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Occre Polaris 1/50

Completed 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35