Another newbie…

Posted (edited)

I’ve always had an interest in building/making wooden sailing ship models. I’ve just never had the time to actually build due to spouse, kids, space and long deployments (US Navy). You always think you’ll eventually get an opportunity to finally get the chance to start but… things always have a habit of getting moved to the head of the line and other things get pushed back towards the end of the list. And time slips by fast… I’m finally at a stage in life that I can devote to a younger me’s desires. That’s not to say I’ve done nothing with regards to model ship building. I’m interested in the American Colonial and Revolutionary Navy. The interest stems from my years of “Haze Gray and Underway” with the modern U.S. Navy. While I didn’t have the time or space to actually build I’ve always had my head buried in books about wooden sailing man-o-war ship models. I’ve picked up books whenever they’ve been available and they’ve provided me with numerous hours of enjoyment while deployed or traveling. I currently have a Sloop Privateer that I’ve just started. In the closet sits the USS Constitution that I picked up years ago as well as a scratch build of Rattlesnake using Harold Hahn’s plans. Between the 3 it’s probably all I can hope to accomplish.  I make bamboo fly rods so a lot of those tools (Sherline lathe, Model Machines mini table saw and thickness sander) carry over to wooden ships. I also have an extensive research library that I’ve collected over the years that provides me with a lot of enjoyment just reading or thumbing through the pictures and drawings. Anyway I will say thank you in advance because I’m sure I’ll have questions and if I can contribute in some small way I will help anyone as much as I’m able. I’ll paste my current research library titles so that if anyone has question I “might” be able to look it up for you. If you have suggestions for additions to my library let me know. I find I like collecting reference books also.

My current research library:

Nelson’s Navy - Brian Lavery

Sailing Ships of the U.S. Navy - Donald L. Canney

The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1620-1860 - James Lees

The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815 - Brian Lavery

The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War 1650-1850 - Peter Goodwin

A Most Fortunate Ship. A Narrative History of Old Ironsides - Tyrone G. Martin

Old Ironsides The Rise, Decline, and Resurrection of the USS Constitution - Thomas C. Gillmer

Anatomy of a Ship The 44 gun Frigate USS Constitution - Karl H. Marquardt

USS Constitution A Midshipman’s Pocket Manual 1814

The Baltimore Clipper - Howard Chapelle

The History of the American Sailing Navy - Howard Chapelle

The Search for Speed Under Sail - Howard Chapelle

Arming the Fleet. U.S. Navy Ordnance in the Muzzle Loading Era - Spencer Tucker

American Ships of the Colonial and Revolutionary Periods- John F. Millar

Ships of John Paul Jones - William Gilkerson

Ships of the American Revolution and their models - Harold M. Hahn

The Colonial Schooner 1763-1775 - Harold M Hahn

The Boats of  Men-of-War - W. E. May

Ships of the American Revolutionary Navy - Mark Lardas

Shipbuilding in Colonial America - Joseph A. Goldenberg

The Schooner its Design and Development from 1600 to the Present - David Macgregor

Architectura Navalis Mercatoria. The Classic 18th Century Naval Architecture - Fredrik Henrik af Chapman

Ship Modeler’s Shop Notes - Nautical Research Guild

American Sailing Craft - Howard Chapelle

The visual Encyclopedia Nautical Terms Under Sail - Crown Publishers Inc.

A Sea of Words - Dean King

The Young Sea Officers Anchor or a Key to the Leading of Rigging and Practical Seamanship - Darcy Lever

Ornamental Borders, Scrolls and Cartouches in Historic Decorative Styles - Syracuse Ornamental Company

Heraldic Crests A Pictorial Archive of 4,424 Designs - James Fairbairn

Flags at Sea - Timothy Wilson

American Small Sailing Craft. The Design, Development, and Construction- Howard Chapell

The History of American Sailing Ships - Howard Chapelle

The Marlinspike Sailor - Harvey Garrett Smith

Modeling the Brig-of-War Irene - E. W. Petrejus

Scale Model Sailing Ships - Mayflower Books

Ship Models. How to Build Them - Charles Davis

The Built-Up Ship Model- Charles Davis

The Ship Model Builder’s Assistant- Charles Davis

The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail and Topmast 1600-1720 - R. C. Anderson

American Sailing Ships. Their Plans and History - Charles Davis

Historic Ship Models - Wolfram zu Mondfeld

Ship Modeling Simplified - Frank Mastini

Ship Modeling from Scratch - Edwin Leaf

Ships and Seamen of the American Revolution. Vessels,Crews, Weapons, Gear, and Naval Tactics - Jack Coggins

Rigging Period Ship Models - Lennarth Peterson

Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern - Milton Roth

Model Open Boats - Ewart Freeston

The Shipcarver’s Handbook. How to design and Execute Traditional Marine Carvings - Jay S. Hanna

Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models - Bill Short

Rigging Period Fore and Aft Craft - Lennarth Peterson

32 Gun Frigate Essex. Building a POF Model - Portia Takakjian

The Neophyte Shipmodeler’s Jackstay - George Campbell

Elements of Mastmaking, Sailmaking and Rigging (reprint) - David Steel

The Illustrated Guide for Modeling HMS Warrior (74) 1781 (Volumes 1,2,3,4,5 pt 1 and 2) -

Reverend William J. Romero.

Seamanship in the Age of Sail: An Account of Shiphandling of the Sailing Man-O-War 1600-1860 - John Harland

Edited by M Arnold
Spelling

:sign:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Welcome to Model Ship World!  Your ship modeling journey seems similar to mine.  Build sailing ship models as a kid.  I also started reading Howard Chappelle's American Sailing Navy as a 12-year old in the early 70's.  It was a bit over my head then.  You have a wonderful library collection and we have several similar volumes.  I like Charles Davis' books and his description of building the frigate Essex in his  built up ship model book.

I think you will enjoy your time on MSW.

Welcome Aboard!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project: 18th Century Pinnace

Indefinite Hold for the future:  1/96 Flying Fish, Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

Welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

5 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Hello, and a warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.

John

I loved being in Perth Western Australia. It brings back fond memories of seeing the Southern Cross while out on missions.  The Australian Navy is a great bunch of folks… don’t ever get into a drinking match with them, you’ll lose every time😊

You have an excellent library.  I can recommend 'Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship & Ocean Carrier' by Harold A. Underhill.  I happen to have a duplicate copy if you'd like to add it to your collection.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

You have an excellent library.  I can recommend 'Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship & Ocean Carrier' by Harold A. Underhill.  I happen to have a duplicate copy if you'd like to add it to your collection.

Thank you Snug Harbor Johnny. It has taken a while and is a labor of love. I appreciate the offer of adding another book to my collection but I’ll pass on the offer for a couple reasons…

1. It really is outside my field of interest and I wouldn’t want to just add another book that wouldn’t be used very much. I’m sure there are others who would actually use this book for builds they are planning or are currently building.

2. Being new to this forum I’m still learning what is acceptable and what is not. I do not want to cross any boundaries that would be frowned upon with regards to “business dealings”…

You do bring up an excellent point though. One I hadn’t considered. I also have a couple of duplicates in my collection. I wonder what the best way would be to offer them up as a donation to any group members that actually need them and would use them without the possibility of someone just obtaining them to list on eBay or another site.

Edited by M Arnold
Clearing up an auto correct word

M Arnold, A warm :sign:

You certainly have an extensive library.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome aboard...

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

:sign:

Offering the books to others isn't a bad thing, IMO.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)