Francis Pritt by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Australian Mission Ship

Another beautiful model John; she looks great.  Particularly nice to see another model that is not mainstream and preserves the history of these vessels.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looks great, John.  You're close to the finish line.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Baggy wrinkle??? But it most be those catepillars crawling their way up the lifts, right?

To minimize shafe on the sails I presume the intention was. 

I cant say much else about your build than it looks than it looks picture perfect.

Keep it up John!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

What a beautiful build John, awesome.

Cheers, and happy New Year!

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice to hear from you, Håkan.  Yes, the baggy wrinkle is the 'caterpillars' crawling up the topping lifts and it was to reduce chafe on the sails! :) 

John

Yes, I'm still alive. But no time for modelling or even to follow along all the beautiful logs here. Life, you know... my oldest daughter moved back to our small town and made med grandpa last Feb. Happy days! They live just down the road (1km) from us and I'm so so glad. An adorable girl (aren't they all) named Agnes.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

John.....she looks awesome!   I love the 'sea gull' view.......it's a shot you usually don't get to see  ;)   rigging looks great......love the pulley assemblies {sometimes hard to get them so they don't twist}.   wonderful progress!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi John

this has been great to watch, she is a beautiful & delicate model, & must have been a very pretty boat.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

After several weeks away from the museum, I was finally able to get back there yesterday and get a bit more work done on the 'Pritt'.

I was able to get the anchor cable fitted (yes, her cable was common link chain - not stud link); lash the lifebuoys up in the mizzen rigging, and get quite a few of the iron bar ratlines rigged.  The bars take a lot longer to rig than ordinary rope ratlines as they have to be lashed to each shroud - a time consuming task.

So now I only have to finish lashing on the ratlines- and clean them up and paint them and finish the sidelights and fit them, plus a bit of detail clean up work, and she's done!

I'm reckoning on another couple of visits to the museum - interruptions allowing - to finish her off.

John

An overall view of the 'Pritt' as she is at the moment

post-5-0-51572600-1485823055_thumb.jpg

The port quarter showing lifebuoys lashed up in the rigging pearler style - I'm not sure how quickly they could actually get one of these over the side if someone was silly enough to go over the wall! :)

post-5-0-39529800-1485823084_thumb.jpg

The mainmast showing metal bar ratlines as far as they've got.  A lot of cleaning up still to do here.

post-5-0-95078300-1485823112_thumb.jpg

The anchor and cable.  It took me ages to get the chain to look as though it had just been dumped onto the deck.

post-5-0-62125500-1485823140_thumb.jpg

John:

Looks great. I agree about the ratlines.

I also was able to use regular chain for my anchors. I was a bit surprised when I looked at old photos and saw no stud links. Made my life a bit easier, for sure. :)

Russ

She's looking great John, not far to the finish line now.  Any ideas on your next project?

cheers

Pat

she's looking superb John  :)   the life rings are interesting.....I've never seen that color before.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the support Russ, Pat and Denis!

Pat - the next one will probably be a mid 19th century immigrant ship - details when I make the final decision.

Denis - the lifebuoys on the original were painted all white.  I decided to leave mine natural wood colour and just paint the bands white.

John

John you certainly have done a great job on this boat so far, I will no doubt enjoy the next one as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'm feeling another visit to ANMM in the near future to see the finished product.

Beautiful work, john.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I will Jim

I've been working with Sydney Heritage Fleet lately (except in this heat wave we've been having) and am crewing the steam tug Waratah on 25th Feb so not sure when, you'll have to let me know when you're there and I'll see what I can do.

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly there!  Had a good day for work at the museum last Monday (been away since then so unable to post) and have now come close to having the 'Pritt' completed.  Just have to do the sidelights, which I had hoped to have complete for next Monday, but things aren't looking good at the moment.

My first job last week was to trim off the fag ends from the ratline lashings.  As I started trimming I thought to myself, "Better be careful here, or you'll cut the topmast shroud".  Next snip and I cut the topmast shroud! :angry:  It was an interesting exercise to extract the cut shroud from the masthead and splice a new one in place again, but it was soon done.

Here's a photo of the dreaded cut shroud plus some photos of the model as it looks at the moment.

John

80426 - Francis Pritt.JPG

80427 - Francis Pritt.JPG

80428 - Francis Pritt.JPG

80429 - Francis Pritt.JPG

80430 - Francis Pritt.JPG

She's looking good, John.  Such a nice little boat.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

She looks great. I would not have known about the topmast shroud had you not said anything.

Russ

oops :)  Glad you were able to extract and repair it John - Don't you just hate those moments?

That is a really nice looking model, will she be going home with you or remain at the museum?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN
typos