HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Congrats on finally retiring, Pat.   I hope this new year will be good one for you and yours.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark and back at you - I hope you and yours  had a great festive season :)  With the Death Star commissioned I am sure 2016 will be a great modelling year.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

lucky man!   I can't retire for five years yet........I can still hold out hope for early retirement though ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Happy New Year! She looks fantastic. I haven't touched my boat for over two months. I took a break to build a 132nd super detailed f105 thunderchief.

You have inspired me to get back to the shipyard-

I have my mojo back!

Thanks all for looking in. 

ca shipwright - More ships???  Flat out keeping up with what I have in the shipyard :) 

Good to see you back in the dockyard Mike.

Greg, Popeye - unfortunately retiring 5 years earlier than planned for health reasons - get some quality of life in while I can.  My complaints however are minor compared to many!

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat,

Congratulations on the step to retire. A well earned cold one  :)

Not an easy decision these days to retire.

May your shipyard, shipbuilding provide much enjoyment.

Push the Endeavour along and get her finished, she looks great.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Thanks Dave, that's the plan re Endeavour (and a couple of frosties of course :))

cheers

Pat

I made some further progress with the boom and jib but I have come to a temporary halt while I wait for some more beige line.  I had purchased the running rigging thread prior to getting my ropewalk and cannot match the colour, so until my new supplies arrive in the next couple of weeks I have statred on making the parrels.

The following photos show Endeavour at her current level of completion and in her display cradle. The top of the cradle is a copy of Cook's Chart for the East Coast of Australia that he drew while surveying his discovery of this part of our country - this has been sealed under a couple of layers of clear poly.  There are still many lines/ropes that are only temporary secured waiting for final tensioning and the footropes still need to be stiffened into their final position.  I am holding-off doing the final adjustments until I have stopped working in this area so that I don't knock them our or shape, or have to move a rope to fit another etc.

post-385-0-41290600-1452232285_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-13096600-1452232302_thumb.jpg 

post-385-0-36023100-1452232226_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-12517500-1452232331_thumb.jpg

The parrels have been made from Red Gum which is a very dense timber, so it will allow me to cut thin clices from the milled shape shown n the photo.  I will drill the rope holes with indents for the parrels by hand using a template.  The photo shows the stock after thicknessing, the milled shape and the beads I will be using.

post-385-0-77238400-1452232238_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Pat,

I have read about the Red Gum but have no experience with the material itself. Thought Red Gum was some exclusive material for the southern hemisphere.

But it sure looks good.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Per, yep it is indigineous to Australia.  Being so dense it is resistant to termites and very long lasting wood - they use it for railway sleepers, bridges and fencing due to these properties.  Lately, some talented woodworkers have been making some great furniture from it also - but boy, tough on the tools :)  take a look at this link - http://www.kropf.com.au/timber-furniture/river-red-gum.htm

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi John, thanks for looking in.  Hope all is well.

cheers

Pat

Your Endeavour is looking especially great, I really like the idea for the base...very original :)

WOW - thanks for all for looking in here and 'At a Glance' - much appreciate the interest and comments folks, they keep the mind positively focused..

yep John, that was for you :)

Keith, very many thanks for your kind offer the other day.

cheers

Pat

Beautiful work! The pictures turned out great.

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

An update on the parrels - still experimenting so the following is not the actual completed product.  For example, the beads I used are just as they happened to come out of the packet.  Being cheap they are not graded to the same size and many are not evenly shaped etc.  For the real deal I will sort/grade these to get a consistent spacing.

The parrels are 0.75mm thick and the burning on the parrel pieces are caused by the saw blade - need a new one but will not ruin it cutting this hard wood.  I have sanded off some of the char, but then realised these would have been 'greased/tarred' and would end up looking blackish anyway - saved some effort :).

I also found that stacking the parrels in the temp fixing jig caused the bottom ones to split and crumble when I was drilling so I have reverted to drilling  and contouring the holes (for the bearings) individually; more time consuming but less breakages.

Anyways - getting there.  The parrels are actually quite smooth; the close up and contrast I have added make them look quite rough edged :( I am also going to try some privet (in the Boxwood family) to see if I get a better finish.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-71391000-1452313169_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-04053300-1452313114_thumb.jpg  

post-385-0-83254400-1452313095_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-68909400-1452313087_thumb.jpg  

post-385-0-72404100-1452313100_thumb.jpg  

Edited by BANYAN

very nice job on the parrels Pat.......your latest update on the ship itself is super........Endeavour is looking awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pat,

Looking good on the trucks and beads.  I have a question/comment regarding the closeups.  Should the beads be bigger than trucks, such that they roll against the mast and trucks don't touch?   Visually, what you have looks fantastic, though.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks again all for looking in and the likes.

Chris - no worries - just cost you a couple of 'frosties' ;):)

Popeye - thanks mate - slowly getting there.

Mark - now you have me thinking -  Not sure to be honest - I thought the beads (wooden balls) just created a bearing type effect and were smaller - need to research now  - :huh: ​  :)

John - now that would be a challenge - but, I need to try some of that privet you provided first.  If the saw survives then maybe.... ;)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Awesome work. I like the idea of using native timber. i think that is a good touch. I will take your lead -though I will use a suitable New Zealand native.

I am working on the (knitting and stays), so I am a wee bit behind you.

Hi Pat, looking good

Re the parrals, here is a page from "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" describing them in better detail. The drawing in AOTS is very misleading.

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-55589000-1452392338_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Thanks Steve, that resolves the issue for me - now to source some larger beads :)

Mark - I don't know whether to thank or curse you ;) - Nah!  Many thanks for the head's up mate.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Pat,

Feel free to curse away...   :)  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: