US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Nice yard work Augie. I'm thinking of following suit with the stirrups myself.

Augie, your yards look really nice with the footrope eyebolts installed. I'm looking forward to seeing these secured to their masts.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks Sjors and Patrick. 

Grant - I was really surprised at how the wire worked out.  I'm thinking I might stand a chance getting the footropes to swag better going through fairly static eyes in the stirrups rather then wrestle with everything moving around in 4 dimensions.  We'll find out today or tomorrow.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice yards Augie, well done mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

your yards look really good Augie.........I'll have a good idea now of what to do on the Goth when I get to her.  they will look nice when up on the masts  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

one yard, two yards, three yards……that's a long distance…….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Yes, but yards are shorter than meters !

Thanks Mobbsie & Popeye.  Love hearing from you.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

OK, a very quick progress report.  The wire stirrups are working out very well supporting the footropes.  There are more to go but here's a pic (for he-who-goes-by-many names):

post-56-0-43538900-1365527751_thumb.jpg

Chuck made a good call on the wire (what else is new).  Also, I need to thank Patrick (Patrickmil) who conducted the experiments on the line and came up with the 50% PVA/water mix which I used on the 0.018 black rigging line for the footropes.  Although everything moves each time I move them, I'm confident that they will look fine once up on the masts and adjusted.  This technique would have come in handy up on the bowsprit.  Lesson learned.

You guys and gals on here are great.

This includes you as well, Sjors.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Unlike so many others, I refuse to engage in frivolous banter.  Nope, not gonna do it.  I am NOT gonna be strung up from that yardarm!  No way, uh-uh, nope.  I know better than to SPAR with the pros...

Oops.

Looking really sharp, Augie - Very nice!  Storing that trick away for the next one that reaches rigging stage!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

In keeping to forum rules here... I am having trouble getting this nylon rope to lay down naturally without the use of glue, Does anyone have any advice. The topsail lifts need to hang and I want them to look naturally sagged. I know... the topsails really should be lowered without any sails on them, but I really do prefer the look of having them in their raised positions.

Patrick was having a problem getting his lines to sag......I gave him this suggestion:

you could set them up........and weight them,  after washing them down with diluted white glue.   I know a lot of folks use the bees wax for their lines,  but it's the only thing I can think of at the moment

believe me....I'm all for sharing ideas...I just get the impression that you might have missed the conversation we had in his Niagra build.  I'm not a big user of bees wax.....I have my doubts that glues will hold properly with threads treated this way.  I do this with the cotton thread....works pretty well in getting those hairs to lay down,  provided the thread isn't restrung too many times

your yards look good there,  Augie.......look forward in seeing the complete masting ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I must have Popeye.  Either way we get the news around.  Thanks for suggesting it to Patrick and in turn it got here.  The line in question I believe is manila hemp.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

is that what your using.........I got spools of the Billing's thread.   the only bad thing is that I have to dye some of it black for the standing rigging.   it only comes in white and a light tan.....and I do mean light tan!    I tried to get some of the thread that Revell packs in their ship kits,  but they don't sell it.   to bad.......I like it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Threads are really nuts.  There must be 20 different kinds.  You must be pulling your hair out trying to dye it.  Cotton is one thing but the polyesters have to be tough.  Knowing you, you'll figure something out....and it always works :)

Oh, yeah, that's what came with the kit.  I use cotton sewing thread for seizing and stuff.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I know a SIB builder that coats her lines in super glue to get them to go where she likes.  She uses it to get the sail's full of wind effect with her ship.  I used the same technique on the Santa Maria running lines to get the same wind effect.  Not sure if that helps or not but thought I'd throw it out there.  

Augie, I definitely was having trouble with getting the nylon ropes to sag naturally. In the end I used a 50/50 mixture of Elmer's and water and have gotten decent results. When I tried using thin CA the line in shape but if it ever needed moved it would be impossible to do. I haven't tried the beeswax but all of my rigging is nylon so I'm not sure it would help much. The footropes look great though. It doesn't appear you have any problems with them sagging properly.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I experimented a while ago using polished hemp.....the real stuff.    it looks great........like real rope.   I did the Nordkap and the Cux with it.

it looks good.......but very hard to manipulate.   it can be pressed to shape with the fingers though,  so it was OK for those builds.  the big problem with it though,  was seizing.......looks too thick.   I also tried to stain / dye the thread with the filler of a marker pen...damn messy and came out blotchy.   really don't know how manufacturers think that a modeler is going to fully rig their builds with white thread.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's exactly what I did Patrick with the diluted glue.  I'm still happy with beeswax on any straight lines.  CA REALLY sets up and it's too fast for me on this type of stuff.  Popeye is right on the seizing though.  He also mentioned folks who rig in white and dye the rigging.  I met one gentleman who actually paints his rigging after it's on.  I've tried that and it can work.  But we're back to the 'what kind of thread and what kind of paint' issue.

I guess the answer, like for a lot of things, is try it off the ship and when you find a method, stick with it!   And keep an eye on the Forum for suggestions :D .

OK, back to work.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice looking yards, Augie.  Hopefully the snow has passed you by so you can work on the yards instead of in the yard.  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good morning my friend!

I hope you sleep well?

I save for you my 1000 post  :D

Now I know for sure that you have to salute me again!

Have a wonderful day and enjoy!

.....a Bly among friends......;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Captain Sjors!  I salute you (AGAIN!!!!!!).  Hearty congratulations  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie - Looks like you are not far behind. Almost Captain yourself. And nearly 1000 posts in this thread! Wow!.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd-  I don't count 'em.  Just makes me a windbag.

Andy-  Love to pump him up.  It's sooooo much fun when we let the air out :D  :D .

Uh oh, was that a siren?  Are the 'Frivolous Post Police' in the area?????

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hey Augie, how's it going? Are you getting ready to mount those yards?  Looking forward to your updates, I would really like to see some.......  oh no! better not say that ....... I'll be sounding like" you know who " ! I see he made Capt. ...WOW!!.... I'd better bow down alittle for fear of a sneak attack....... Once he starts getting the power, you never know what he's capable of ! :D  

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Don't panic Frank....we'll catch Captain you-know-who.  As for me, missed 2 days in the shop --- one judging at the Colorado State Science Fair.  Darned little kids are getting too smart but I love 'em.  So just getting to boom irons and am pulling out what's left of my hair.  Photos in a day (or three).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

So Augie,

You have enjoy the view of Captain the hole day?

I'm finished with work and yesssss, I'm the weekend off duty  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

So building time!

I have to wait for 3 hole days for pictures????