Santa Maria by DSiemens - FINISHED - 1:712 scale - BOTTLE

Thanks Matt.  The fact that you are even attempting the victory is pretty incredible.  That's a very intensive ship.  

The Santa Maria is completed!!! Except for bottling.  

post-307-0-13651600-1362949975_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-50648300-1362949976_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-63445500-1362949977_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-66503900-1362949978_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-67717300-1362949979_thumb.jpg

Wow Daniel, this deserves a very extraordinary bonsai, trust you will end this log with a ship in a bottle and the bonsai you earned.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

She just went from terrific to spectacular!!!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

John you aren't even kidding.  It had better be a nice Bonsai or I'm going to want my ship back.  

Thank Augie that means a lot coming from you.  Your work is incredible.  

So I went to post pictures and all hell broke loose.  My own fault really. Here's my initial pictures.  

post-307-0-10156900-1362982135_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-93021100-1362982135_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-79523600-1362982136_thumb.jpg

Let me preface with had this bottle not been given to me for the project I wouldn't not have used it.  It doesn't have amazing clarity and the cap is so huge it makes it hard to see the ship.  What led to trouble though was not the bottle but the sea and the position of the ship.  There was so much sea that the ship was being pushed towards the enormous cap and making it hard to see.  I didn't want to go from "spectacular" to blah so I knew it had to be fixed.  The lines had been cut and glued there was no getting the ship out so I pulled it up from it's clay base and started digging clay out around the ship.  

I do no recommend working the sea with a ship in the bottle.  It's mind numbing stressful work.  I got a little clay on one yard that took ten minutes to clean off.  Worst of all the line between the mizzen lateen mast and the main mast came off.   :o Needless to say words were said.  I managed to get it back together good as new.  Had this bottle opening not been so gigantic that would have been even more stressful   After the clay was dug out I positioned the ship again with a slight angle so the crosses on the sails could be more readily seen.  Here's how she turned out.  

post-307-0-38258700-1362983244_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-65444900-1362983116_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-48038100-1362983117_thumb.jpg

Despite the ending craziness she turned out well.  They only thing I wanted to work out better was the touch up of the symbol on the bottle.  The more I painted the worse it got.  I may recommend it be taken off all together though it was the inspiration for the Santa Maria in this particular bottle in the first place.  We'll see.  I'll post pictures of the Bonsai once I get it.  I'm already making plans for my next build I just haven't found a bottle I'm particularly fond of yet.  Thank you all for reading and commenting.  Your support is greatly appreciated.     

Edited by DSiemens

Hi Daniel,

She is looking very well and must say the distortion caused by the coarse glass gives the ship a nice mysterious look, while one still can see the quality is obvious. I like it.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

Daniel-

It took me a while to 'see what you see'.  The first placement looked fine to the untrained eye.  But, thanks to your explanation, one really appreciates the re-orientation.  That said, I also think the distortion caused by the glass is, in itself, remarkable and actually adds to the overall look of the project.  The uppermost picture of the final version does it for me.  Ironically, for me, the slight incompleteness or wearing of the external symbol on the glass actually enhances the overall 'feel' as to the age of the display.

Where ever this model finds a home, I'm sure she will be displayed proudly far beyond our years.

Very, very well done.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks John and Augie.  I think your right the slight distortion and the old look of the symbol do add to the overall look.  It's not the crisp clear look I'm used to but it works.  

Took some better photo's in the day light.  Thank you all again.  This has been a fun project.  It turned out great.  I think the "spanish lady" will highly enjoy it.  

post-307-0-04301800-1363013906_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-59964300-1363013906_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-26893000-1363013907_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-86637300-1363013907_thumb.jpg

Edited by DSiemens

Great Daniel,

Now I am curious to see the picture of the bonsai golden money tree. The lady has to be very pleased.

Regards,

John

<br />

<br />

Daniel,

I think it turned out very well.  I agree that the distortion adds something to the uniqueness of this project as do all the fish in the "water".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations, it's done! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic Too bad you can't use the bottle  :( it's green.

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Gosh Daniel, I look away for a few minutes, and you're done!  I love the details you are able to include and to suggest while working in such a small scale.  Congratulations on a job well done!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Very sharp looking bit of Kit as they say.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

thought I'd stop by Daniel........I can see that it's over already!   very nice work there........the ship looks superb!   I bought a ship in a bottle on one of our visits to Hampton beach.......I love the novelty of it.   beautiful work.....bet it looks great in the sunlight :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great Daniel,

Now I am curious to see the picture of the bonsai golden money tree. The lady has to be very pleased.

Regards,

John

I'll post pictures when I get it.  I'm sure she will be very happy with it.  I was going to give it to her today but she wasn't there.  Must have been to tired with the daylight savings.  

Daniel,

I think it turned out very well.  I agree that the distortion adds something to the uniqueness of this project as do all the fish in the "water".

Wow didn't think any one would notice the fish.   ;)   Thanks.

Congratulations, it's done! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic Too bad you can't use the bottle  :( it's green.

Well let me see.....post-307-0-63220000-1363057927.gifThere you are a smiley in a bottle. :)  Thanks.   

Gosh Daniel, I look away for a few minutes, and you're done!  I love the details you are able to include and to suggest while working in such a small scale.  Congratulations on a job well done!

Bob

Yea you can't blink with SIB builds they go quick which works for an impatient patience bottle builder like my self. Thank you for your compliments.    

Oh man!! That is really cool Daniel. Great job!

Thank you.  

Edited by DSiemens

Very sharp looking bit of Kit as they say.

Michael

Wow these posts come in quick.  Thank you.

thought I'd stop by Daniel........I can see that it's over already!   very nice work there........the ship looks superb!   I bought a ship in a bottle on one of our visits to Hampton beach.......I love the novelty of it.   beautiful work.....bet it looks great in the sunlight :)

Thanks for having a look.  I'll be starting a new one soon.  I have a friend in Anaheim that wants a pirate ship in a bottle.  Think I'll try my hand at the Satisfaction. I love the novelty as well.  It's a ton of fun.  I always recommend people try SIB building.    

Hello Daniel. Congratulations for completing this ship. Esp. the sails came out very nice. The Santa looks like it should! Very nice job.

Thank you.  Your advice had been most helpful.  I haven't actually made it out to get cigarette paper though I will eventually.  It's highly recommended on the SIB forums as well.  I used the same technique as my British Cutter the Fly and glued two pieces of tissue paper together then created the sail after it dried.  It creates a great thickness and the off white gives it a good aged look.  Thank you again.  

Hi Daniel, congratulations with the result, it's really fantastic   :champagne:

Thank you.  

Rolling papers make excellent sails.  Inspect them at the store, most brands have water marks that are objectionable in light of your intended use.  I like the ones with parallel lines close together which subtly replicate the seams eliminating the need to draw them in.  Curiously the ones with the lined water marks are also the cheapest and a single pack will last for years.  

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

• 5 weeks later...

I apparently was being papparazzi'd by the Admiral while I was shooting the final pictures of the Santa Maria.  I was so focused I didn't even know until she started posting things on Facebook.  She took a great shot though so I thought I would share.  

post-307-0-02831600-1365657465_thumb.jpg

Also one other update for those that wonder, still no bonsai tree yet.  Apparently she knows a guy that grows awesome ones but he only comes out when it's warm and with all the snow lately he's been staying in.  I'm sure I'll get it though.  Once I do I'll post a picture and let you all decide if it was worth the trade.  

Caught in the act ! 

Maybe we should have a thread of photos of the shipwrights.  That would probably be hysterical getting to see someone you've only chatted with for years.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I like the idea some one should start that.   

Sarah is probably too busy with the calendar.  But then again......... :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Well lets not all jump up at once I'll start it.  

What has been seen can not be unseen. post-307-0-80331000-1365750938.gif

sorry Daniel....I couldn't resist!   great idea though.......I put my two cents in ;)    I took the picture out.....you don't need my mug in the middle of your thread.   I thought I had seen all the pictures,  but I guess I didn't........it came out very very well!   it looks superb!

shows a really good grasp on your hobby...fantastic work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

No it wasn't that bad like you I couldn't resist having some fun with it.  I will say your photos in the other thread are better though.  Thank you for your compliments.  I'm really flattered to receive such great feed back from such accomplished builders. 

your a good sport ......and a good sort.......glad you found your way here.....  {those are my good side   LOL!}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Full size Santa Maria!

We are on vacation in La Palma, Canary Islands

This is the Santa Cruz naval museum housed in a this concrete replica built in the 1940's

Lovely little museum with C16th charts old instruments and paraphernalia. And only 3 euros entry fee!

Matt

post-581-0-59323800-1366274843_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-18512000-1366274862_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-83368300-1366274904_thumb.jpgpost-581-0-41283500-1366274878_thumb.jpg