Alert by riverboat - FINISHED - Krick - 1/25th scale

Thanks Russ, will do.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

nice to see you've started on the planking........you've progressed quite well....looks really nice  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Popeye.... like I said earlier, I'm really liking the spiling , it's a little more time consuming but the planks lay real nice. Once I get the hang of it, it should move along a little faster.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Your making some good progress Frank, is she single or double planked mate, the reason I ask is that I see your using scale planks.

Keep it up buddy, your doing great.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie: ......  the kit's way  is to double plank, but this is going to be a single planked hull. The frame set up is really not designed to accommodate scale planking, But, Russ has been giving me some good advice on how to handle this. He sent me a picture of a schooner's planking pattern that I think will work out real good . ( thanks Russ)... So stay tuned, I should be finished with this planking in another

couple years !! :D :D

Dave.......  thanks for looking in, it's nice to have you on board, and thank you for your nice comment on the Supply.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank, coming along really nicely.  I'll have to take a look at the spiling method of planking, looks like a good way to do it.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

What's a couple of years between friends.  You can always post a picture of a California sunset.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Frank, Very nice looking build you got going on here, Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Looking good Frank, spiling makes me sweat and makes my head hurt.

Perhaps but the end result is always worth it.

David Botton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the photos and explanation of what you are doing with your "spilling".  I really like the idea with the strings and tape, but also the tape and markings so you can see how the planks will curve and look before you actually do it (and then have to undo it hahaha)

I can't wait to see your "Alert" with more planks!

Well here we go again.... another UPDATE!!!!....... I think I left off showing the first two planks being set, I've made some progress since then,

the first band is finished, port and starboard.  Before I started to do the planking I had ordered some basswood sheets from National Balsa.

While waiting for it to come in,I found  a  sheet of basswood that I had purchased from Michael's. ( 1/16thx 3 x24 ), so I thought I'd get a little head start before my  main supply came in. Well my supply came in and I started up again, I had finished 3 rows before I notice that National

Balsa's 1/16th  and Michael's 1/16th were a little off, just enough to p--- you off, so out came the alcohol, the removal was easy enough, I'm glad I did it, it looks better ( to me) :P I think once the planking is finished and the hull is sanded some, It should look OK . Another nice thing about spiling is that there 's not much room for fillers. I've been beveling one side of each plank that butts up to the previous one so they get a nice tight fit. Following are some pictures of the progress. By the way I highly recommend the spiling method for planking. I don't know what took me so long to try it...... FEAR!!!! :D :D

this is the second plank being fit on the first strake

post-73-0-70213500-1403578249_thumb.jpg

you could never get this shape by just bending

post-73-0-56903800-1403578308_thumb.jpg

the following just show planking to the end of the first band

post-73-0-21152500-1403578353_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-87126600-1403578385_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-88108000-1403578470_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-11269800-1403578498_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-76198600-1403578619_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-90018500-1403578522_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-15263600-1403578545_thumb.jpg

Well that's it for now folks..... Thanks for look'n in

Frank

post-73-0-76038400-1403578277_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-17325100-1403578414_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-37078600-1403578443_thumb.jpg

post-73-0-05510700-1403578598_thumb.jpg

USRC "ALERT"

It looks like it is coming along. The line of the planks looks good. Nice work.

Be careful to make sure you are getting everything shimmed so that the planks lay across the bulkheads without any dips. Check the last photo with the last plank on the second bulkhead. Might be the angle of the camera, but it looks like you might have a dip there.

Russ

Coming right along.  I bet next you'll be getting a thickness sander to get all your wood uniform !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking great Frank.  Very tight and neat planking!  Is this a single-planked hull or double?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Dave B...... thanks Dave for your input, it's not perfect yet, but I'll get it down after a couple more dozen planks  :P

Hi Russ..... Glad you looked in, you're right.... there is a little dip there, tomorrow I'll loosen it and shim it some. I've been trying to watch that , I've had to shim a few bulkheads , that one slipped thru. :o Thanks for the heads up!

Hey Augie...... thanks, .but no thanks on the thickness sander, I've got enough tools already that I don't ( know how to) use :D

USRC "ALERT"

Hi  Denis.........  Yeah. I really like the Titebond, man it really sets up fast, no need to use ca, and it cleans up real good too. Thanks for look'n in.

Hi Mike...... This is going to be a single planked hull. The kit  supports a double planked  hull. That's what's nice about the spiling, there is really no filler to speak of and all the planks fit properly, so there is really no need to plank it again ( I hope :rolleyes: ). Thanks for stopping by.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

I believe Chuck has stated that he sees no reason to double plank if you can get it right on the first layer.  I was skeptical at first but have been moderately successful on two hulls and still have a sealed jar of filler to prove it.  Of course if you are bent on going with some exotic wood (like burled Italian Elm) you might want to leave the double plank option open :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice planking Frank......

You can always ask Mobbsie how those tools are working  :D  :D  :D  :D

I'm happy that you have an update before we go sailing.......

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Frank,

That is looking real good mate, great looking hull shape but is the stern giving you any trouble, that's looks like a hell of a twist for those planks. 

Keep it up mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

looking really good Frank...got some nice lines going there  ;)    I'm going to have to try the titebond.......I'm almost out of CA.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The planking is looking good Frank, Nice job

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Frank, I was going to say that with the nice results you're getting now, you probably only need to single plank it.  Maybe I should try it to save on buying tubs of filler like Augie  :rolleyes:

Mike

Augie..... I'm confident enough that this will come out OK so I won't have to plank it again.I had purchased some boxwood strip from Jeff awhile back with the intention of using it on this build, but since I decided to try spiling I couldn't use it. I checked on the boxwood sheets and they are

considerably more expensive than the bass sheets, so I'm staying with the basswood. I'm thinking a worn looking type wood hull down the road ,so the basswood will work out OK. maybe next time around  I'll go for the more exotic wood. :P

Sjors......  I have enough trouble using hand tools :rolleyes: . Hoping you guys have a nice holiday together!! Have fun. "GO NETHERLANDS"

Mobbsie......  It looks like there's a radical twist at the stern , but not really. The planks are laying real nice at the stern. Once they're shaped

they sit good. Have a nice holiday with Sjors and Anja.

Popeye...... Yeah, try the Titebond, I think you'll really like it. It sets fast, so the clamp time is very short. Ive been just holding the planks

just with my fingers most of the time until it holds then I'll use some small clamps to set them a while longer.

Pete.....     Thanks for your comment Pete, appreciated !!

To All The "Likes"......    Thanks to all of you for look'n in . I love the Likes !! :D

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Matti..... Thanks for stopping by, hoping to get a little more done today  (maybe :P )

Mike....... Go for it....read Chucks tutorial... take lots of time lining off the hull... the money you save on filler will buy you another tool!!! :D :D

Frank

USRC "ALERT"