Alert by riverboat - FINISHED - Krick - 1/25th scale

Tony...... thanks for your  comments mate, did'nt even think of the cannon shot holes, something to consider next time! :P Glad you liked the planking, had fun doing it and thought about leaving it clean , but I just couldn't do it, I like to see my ships worn out. :D Stay tuned  and you'll see it come together. ( I hope ).

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Augie, glad you said that, I was worried there for awhile thinking it had too much of a museum quality look!!! :P

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hey Denis, I'll try and keep everything on deck out of the water :D . Sometimes I get carried away!!

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Thanks for looking in Coleman, and thank you for your comments....... glad you liked the look of the hull.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Frank,

You are a master at weathering.   Wonderful work, my friend.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Alistair.... I would have never  been a good sailor,I like to messy a ship  :D Thanks for your nice comments on the planking,like I told Tony I really had fun using Chucks tutorial for the planking. I think he made a convert of me   :P

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Matti....... I'm really glad you liked it,  and you're right, it was a real bear trying to balance it out. I must've done it 3 or 4 times before I settled on the way it is now , and even now I'm not completely satisfied, but I think once everything is in place it'll blend in OK. Thanks for looking in.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Mark........ don't know about being a master ( but thank you anyway). it's more like hit and miss, if you know what I mean. Thanks for looking in.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

That's really great work Frank.  I'd love to weather a fishing or whaling vessel down the line one day.  

Can I ask how you weathered the hull?  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike.... glad you liked it ...... Yeah, I'll tell you how, I'll  p.m. you later O.K.?

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Brian.... thanks for your interest ..... Sine you ,Mike and Denis are interested,  what I'll do is ,tomorrow I'll get my thoughts together and try and explain as best I can what I did, Mind you I'm not  any kind of  master guru, so don't be disappointed in the simplicity of it all.  :D . I'm a little tired right now   ( close to my bedtime)   so like I said tomorrow would be best.  I'll post it here. Thanks for looking in.

Frank                                   

USRC "ALERT"

Hey Denis how you doing?..... thank you too for your interest, like I told Brian in the previous post, I'll post some info tomorrow right here O.K.

Glad you liked the way it turned out, surprised me too!!! :D :D

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Great job Frank !!!!!!

You did it your self or have you put the ship in the mud for a few months ?????  :P  :P

It just looks so real.....

Sjors

Very nice planking job Frank, and as others have said, fantastic work with the weathering.

Sjors, you're a genius!!, why did'nt I think of the mud :o , would've saved me a lot of time, maybe next time I'll give the mud a go! :P

Thanks for look'n in.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Grant, thanks for your nice comments....... It was a little push and pull there for awhile as to" weather or not" :rolleyes:  ( I should do it)  as you saw ,the "weather " won.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Lawrence , thanks for your nice comments, I'm going to post something here on how I did the weathering, a couple other people were interested also, so ck back a little later O.K.?

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Before I forget..... ( that's what us seniors do).... Thanks for all the  "LIKES "

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

OK, today is tomorrow like I said yesterday,so I'll see if I can explain to those interested the method I used to weather the Alert's hull.

First off, let me tell you, anyone can do this , but you have to  commit yourself to it, once you start you really can't go back.So once you've made the commitment to

mess up a perfectly good planking job get all the pictures you can on the ship you're going to build. Unfortunately for us ship builders there's not too much out there to help you out, so you'll have to use your imagination for most of the weathering process. An example , my first weathered boat was a riverboat, well there's plenty of old pictures to guide you, now on the Alert there's nothing, so I pretty much guessed it all the way. Mike was saying he'd like to do a weathered whaler, well he's lucky The Morgan is still  afloat, so he'll be able to get a real good perspective on the whole process. Now that we know you don't have to be a genius to do this , let me see if I can explain what I did

For  the stains I used JoSonja's water based gel stains, you can use any stain you like. I like to use water based products

they're a little more forgiving if you want to make corrections. The first coat applied was English Walnut, it's a real nice dark base, let it stay   a few min.then wipe it down with a clean cloth, after that dried I gave it a light sanding so some of the natural wood showed thru ( not too heavy with the sanding ) then I applied a coat of Jacobean oak, this added a browner tone to the existing coat.. repeat the previous process, again a very light sanding (220 weight paper ). Try not to be to fussy, you're looking to get an uneven looking finish

. After I had applied those two coats it still wasn't the look I was looking for, it was a little too brown now, so I applied another coat of the English walnut ,wiped it down and another light sanding. While I let this set up awhile, I painted the keel flat black, after looking at it I was not happy with the black keel,so I sanded it all off,which turned out to be a bonus. Looking at the hull again I decided to give  it a burnt umber wash,I also did the keel too. there was some black residue left on the keel after sanding so that gave the burnt umber a real nice look , I wiped the hull down again very gently with a damp cloth, and a very light sanding again on the keel. Now I was starting to like the color, all it needed now was a black wash ( I used The Detailer ready to use washes) ) or you can make your own washes by diluting your paint.I generally put a wash over a gloss or satin finish and let it set over nite ,then wipe most of it off with a damp cloth or cotton swabs, but this time I just added right on top of the stained surface and I didn't let it dry completely  and just gently wiped it off.I liked what happened , it gave the color some depth and I also got some crackled effect to the surface which I really liked. After letting it stay for a couple days, I decided that I could live with the finish. I just added 2 coats of Delta Ceramcoat Matte varnish, and that's it.

So you see, it's a pretty simple process that anyone can do if he or she chooses to.......a little time consuming , but worth the effort if you're looking to get a working ship look!! As my build progress' I'll add some weathering powders to enhance some of the colors. I hope I explained  the process well enough, if there are any other questions just let me know. While we're on the subject , there are a couple of other guys on this site that are very proficient at this, Matti being one of them, ck his work out he's very good. You also might want to ck. out some of the armor modellers on KitMaker .net, those guys are the real masters!!. Well that's it for now , Hope this was of some help, Thanks for look'n in.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

You're welcome Denis....

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Dave .... yeah, it's good to have that part behind you. Hows your project coming along ?

frank

USRC "ALERT"

Frank,

Just found this one. Your weathering work is excellent. Thanks for the "how to" post

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks for ck'n out my build Michael....... your input is always welcomed, when my weathering skills get to the level of your modelling skills, then I'll be happy  :P

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Lawrence you 're quite welcome........... if you try it, don't be mad  at me  if it doesn't come out  :D  :D , just kidding, don't worry, take your time and have fun with it. you can use what ever you want paint ,stain ,powders ,whatever, keep messing with it until you get the look your looking for.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the word on ageing my friend, glad I didn't age like that mate, the only part I would enjoy is the rubbing down but we mustn't go there must we.

Your quite the leading authority on ageing a ships hull mate and deserve the accolades you get.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-