GUNBOAT PHILADELPHIA by Steve.Y - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Aye, there's the rub (so to speak).

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am done ... except for a few very minor touch ups and procuring a display case. (Rudder is done, but not on because I am a klutz and will break it while moving the boat around)... Thanks to all who have helped! and a special thanks to Chuck Seiler who gave me great advise and answered my rookie questions. I am hooked on this ship building thing, and I know my next build will be way better. AND I know I will be asking tons of questions.. Thanks again Everyone! Have a great Holiday season !! Here are a few photos..And...Go Hawks!

post-13761-0-35256800-1449360937_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-28768800-1449360951_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-46464900-1449360964_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-07406500-1449360979_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-16018200-1449360992_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-53974000-1449361003_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-01072600-1449361018_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-08937400-1449361026_thumb.jpg

Beautifully done, Steve.  Congratulations. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Steve,

Congrats and well done!!!!  It looks great.

A case is a must.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Steve,

Very nice finish to your gunboat.

And as for the Hawks, what happened today? They were in another league than the Vikings.

Nice game too. Got bored at the end and we knew the outcome.

Could it be a third play-off?

Back to ships/boats and modeling..... :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve,

I just ordered a display case for my Philadelphia from Houston Display Cases and I can recommend them highly. I have two others from them for my picket boat and the Niagara. Mahogony is expensive but nothing sets a model off as well as a beautiful mahogany case. The workmanship is top quality. Website is www.displaycasestands.com. They will use others woods as well. PM me if I can be of further help.

Pythagoras aka Tom

Here are a few more of the 99% completed Philly. Just adding some crates, barrels, cannon gear and cannon balls. I am actually kinda sad the build is almost over. Thinking of  the Rattlesnake to start the year off, but I have to get display case conjured up for the Philly.

post-13761-0-02334700-1450852746_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-86757300-1450852757_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-42165400-1450852768_thumb.jpg

Great job!  What's on tap next?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Funny you should ask Chuck! I ordered the Rattlesnake from model expo (ebay site) and got it basically half price and free shipping. It is actually on route now..Anyway, looks like a nice long build. I am wondering if I should consider a different wood for planking hull and decks. Again, any advise welcome!! Have a Happy New Year!

It depends on if you plan to paint it or not.  If you plan to paint it all, don't bother with different wood.  If you plan to go 'au naturale', at least in part, boxwood above the wale would look nice.  The black parts can be painted, but I would recommend checking out Chuck P's painting technique in either his CONFEDERACY or WINCHELSEA...I forget.  Basically, it is many (8 or10) coats of very thinned out acrylic paint.  I have tried it with good results.

Below the wale?  That depends on how good you are at planking.  For my PROVIDENCE, I was using holly below the wale with good results (until I stalled).  However, that is after MANY attempts at properly planking below a wale.  With my SULTANA, the planking did not go well and I used much wood filler to fix.  No worries.  Sand it down nice,spray paint.  I used a cream colored paint...don't recall the color, but I will find it...(I don't like the stark white) and I think it look great.  Maybe I will get off my butt, finish it and have it at the NRG Conference next year.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

No airbrush, just the stuff right out of the can.  I don't do much in the way of spray painting.  The lower hull is pretty simple.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hey Chuck!

Just received today, my New project, Rattlesnake! Nice looking plans, manual and all the parts are in the box. Man, the scale is so much smaller than my Philly build. Have to get new glasses! Anyway, I will read the manual and gear up for the build.

Also today I went out and purchased a few tubes of the Winsor & Newton acrylic paint. One each of black and yellow ochre. (colors for the build). Tonite I have been test painting some basswood. I used primer on one, no primer on the other. I mixed the paint 50/50 with distilled water and the results are Excellent. I am up to 6 coats. no brush marks, smooth uniform finish. However, I seem to like the Un primed surface better. My question is this. Is priming a must? Or is it important for long term duration? Anyway, I eagerly await comments and advice!

post-13761-0-48335200-1452146044_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-87395800-1452146053.jpg

Steve,

I was trying to find the discussion by Chuck regarding his painting method.  I thought it was inhis CONFEDERACY log, but I can no longer find that one.  I see you were able to communicate with him regarding the primer issue.

How did you like the look of the paint job?  It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks pretty good.  As I recall, Chuck recommends a light sanding every 2 or 3 coats with very fine (800-1200 grit) sandpaper.  Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

Good luck with RATTLESNAKE..

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been so busy working!! Anyway, I am going to start a build log on the HMS Endeavour 1/60th scale. This is an Artesania Latina kit i picked up New for 50 bucks at a value village. I also  snagged a Brand New Mantua Astrolabe 1812 kit $25 New. Both look pretty cool, and are complete, sealed package  etc. I like the larger size, probably because my Philly build was my first, and that is a larger kit as well. Chuck, are you working on anything?

Steve, if all decks are supposed to be planked I would suggest working from lowest deck, plank then install. But On the other hand someone else might have better ideas. Just thinking logical with my two cents ... lol

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Steve,

Howdy!  I am currently working on keeping my head above water at work.  So far so good, but the day ain't over yet.  With that as a backdrop, I have set the WASHINGTON aside and have set me sights back on PROVIDENCE.  I am hoping to have it 75% finished by the NRG Conference.

The hook is set.  You are an official model ship builder-one model complete, two in progress and at least one on the shelf.  :dancetl6:

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild