Charles W Morgan Whaleboat by Salty Sea Dog - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:25 - POF - first wooden boat build - SMALL

Buck,

Wishing you a smooth move and best of luck in the new job! Will still be here (probably still working on Elsie :D ) when you get back to building!

Eddie

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

Congrats Buck,

Good luck. You're not going into the new farming business are you? (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

LOL

I had you thinking about it though :D

I dont know about you, but for me...sometimes the little details that take forever are the most gratifying. After all, its all in the details. I think either centerboard works, I think it really depends on the way you plan to mount her. A whale boat is such a great piece to use in a diorama.

I cant remember were I saw it, most likely an MSW builder, but Ive seen the mounting of one whale boat on the tail of a whale as it was trying to flip the boat. It was a great display piece.

September/October 2001 issue of SHIPS in Scale "A Whaler's Sleigh Ride" :)

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for the well wishes on my new job and relocation. I had been stressing quite a bit and not sleeping well worrying about how I could pull off the move with multiple U-Haul loads and putting things in storage until we found a house.  A friend just reminded me about the "Pods" system which would accomplish the same thing at a much lower cost and save me the back and forth driving..whew! 

When I moved to Kansas from Texas I was able to get way more house for the money and I think I will have to face reality when moving to Colorado. I have been truly blessed with our Kansas home and feel as if we have been living in a Thomas Kinkade painting:

post-218-0-90312000-1373213276_thumb.jpg

The full basement has a power tool room, my 10x12 office/drydock, a bathroom, a man cave music room, and storage rooms. It will be sad to leave, but we will finally be getting back to the mountains where my wife and I first met. We have been trying to get back for 28 years and we will finally complete that circle. :)

Buck,

I just gotta' ask... that tap doesn't turn or work, does it???   :o  :o

Good luck on the move.  Do keep an eye out for that fellow who runs the Colorado Shipyard.  He's either fishing for moose, or fishing for trout using an RC bi-plane.

Hi Mark!

The tap did turn but I was pressing my luck to not break the handle off, so it's all glued now. The tap (and barrel) are not hollowed out so they don't work. Sorry, I was kidding about the Perrier! :P

post-218-0-13858700-1373213362_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to get on the good side of the fellow that runs the Colorado Shipyard. Maybe I can ride my bike downstream from him while he's fishing and scare the trout towards him. They will be so tired from swimming upstream, they will jump into his net to relax! He may not go for that since it seems he has already been training moose to do that for him! :D

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I do love that barrel... even if it is solid.

You're moving to you and your wife's roots (so to speak) is so cool....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ahoy Buck :D

I have to admit that I am very disappointed.

Considering how many "non water" substances age so well in barrels I can not believe you made this blunder.  

"lol"

Just kidding: It looks great and is very impressive, as with all of your work

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi Buck,

We say in my country: "With the changing of your locality you get more internal space"  (translation is like this)...

I hope this changing brings you the goodness...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, nearly a month has gone by! I've made 2 trips to Colorado, finished up my last projects at my Wichita job and have been packing and working on the house. This move feels almost like an impossible task because we've aquired so much stuff. I tell my wife that I'm a collector but she's a pack rat! To be fair though, my stuff is bigger and harder to move than her sewing and craft stuff (getting the bandsaw out of the basement was a bear!) I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed and decided to take a boat break the second half of today. :)

Although there is no mention of a boat's knife in the Artesania Latina plans, the Model Expo "To Build a Whaleboat" book shows the making of one for the New Bedford Whaleboat kit. I thought it would be fun to make a little knife so I shaped a knife blank from a piece of tin sheet that I found at the hardware store. The knife is patterned and scaled on a 15" Bowie knife.

post-218-0-65672900-1375673783_thumb.jpg

Cow bone is often used to make to make nuts and saddles for acoustic guitars and I thought it would be cool to make a bone handle for the knife. Luckily, since I'm a pack rat - I mean collector, I saved some bone sadle cut-offs. Little handle blanks were slabbed out of the scrap.

post-218-0-46099000-1375673797_thumb.jpg

I managed to get one side attached and drilled for pinning. Next time I need a boat break, I'll try to finish it.

post-218-0-37154500-1375673846_thumb.jpg

Best wishes,

-Buck

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

I was thinking the same thing Ferit asked.... :P  :P :P  That's a wonderful bit of detail. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lol! I can't get anything past you guys. I can't remember where I got that 13" penny, but you have to admit, it's still a challenge to make a knife when your hands are nearly 11 feet long!  lol8.gif

post-218-0-44643900-1375718894_thumb.jpg

-Buck

Buck,

WHOA back at you (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I got in a little boat time today and finished the knife. I went back down to the drydock this evening to tidy up.

What the.....

post-218-0-86480200-1375845429_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-08920300-1375845421_thumb.jpg

(click to enlarge)

-Buck

What a cheesy photograph!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Ratt Fink????   Boy is Mario gonna' be surprised.   But we know the knife works. :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Consider it a chance to reorganize... EVERYTHING :D

I definitely do not envy all the work, but once its all complete and your settled It will all be worth it. After all Home is the place where family is. It amazing how fast we adjust. When Tammy lost her job a couple of years back, as an OR tech she had the option to travel. As nothing was available around here at the time, she signed on with a travel company. We only ended up doing the first 10 week stint before the clinic owned by the Dr's she'd worked with at the hospital called and we moved back to Home. While on the road we were put up in a candlewood suites 1 bedrooom suite. Its strange how fast we adapt.

I hope everything goes smoothly in finding not just a place, but the RIGHT place. Also If I'm recalling correctly, this is a move back home for you and the Admiral? There's something about Roots, being born a navy brat I was 11 before living in So. IL but it was always home. I've lived many places and there's no place like Home, however you define Home.

Here's to the Journey ahead and the patience to live through the trauma, :cheers:  Cheers to a dear friend and his crew.

Thanks for the well wishes Keith -they are much appreciated. I will use the move as an opportunity to reorganize and when house hunting, I'll be looking for work spaces based on ideas for better shop layouts. I'm also using the move to get rid of tons of stuff.

Best wishes,

-Buck

Hi Buck,

I am courious for your next steps on fabulous C.V. Morgan Whaleboat... Will be there other detailed mini scratches like the knife, the axe, the barrel tap, etc...?

For exemple grapnel for retrieving whaleline, buckets, boat spades, compass... smileys-thinking-029488.gif

Till I saw your build, I had not been interested in whaleboats... But now I even read articles about them...

My apologizes, it's your build but I am quite rejoicing following it and don't want it to be finished... m0161.gif

http://mysite.du.edu...boy/verrill.htm

post-2145-0-21280800-1376038241_thumb.gif

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

...I am quite rejoicing following it and don't want it to be finished... m0161.gif

http://mysite.du.edu...boy/verrill.htm

Lol! I've been thinking that at my slow pace this will never end! I do have plans to include everything on your list but I did not know about the last item. In Model Expo's "To Build a Whaleboat book" they also show lances, short paddles and a gun although I'm not sure about all that. The boat is going to be so full of stuff that there won't be room for the crew! Thanks for the list - that's great!

-Buck

Buck will never finish this build...he will just continue to add all these wonderful little details that make it real. Beautiful work as ever Buck!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Maybe Buck will go up... From mini to medium details...  And he will build the Whaleship Charles W. Morgan!... Who knows?!...  m0161.gif

But it's within probability that Buck can add minuscule scratches even on a ship...

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Well I may have discovered a limit to the detail I can acheive - or sort of almost acheive.

It's been hot and very humid lately and I was packing boxes and loading them into the POD (a portable moving container) which I think could double as a solar oven or a sauna. My brain must have been cooked because I was thinking about the bone handled knife and how old whalemen were known for their scrimshaw carving in whale bone. You probably see where this is heading...

I needed a fine-tipped engraving tool so I sharpened a chisel point onto the head of a pin and mounted that into a walnut dowel handle. 

post-218-0-77606400-1376366884_thumb.jpg

I then made a practice bone handle blank and glued it to a piece of wood. Holes were drilled to match the pin spacing on the knife (4mm between holes or 4-1/2mm on center). I'm not sure how the tip of the engraver should be shaped, but I wasn't able to get the control I was hoping for. Curves were very difficult as was following the handles contours. If anyone has ideas on how the tip shape could be improved I'd like to hear your thoughts.

post-218-0-55351100-1376366879_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-25604400-1376366872_thumb.jpg

It's supposed to be a scene of a palm tree on an island with the sun setting on the ocean's horizon. Of course you may need to consume a lot of your favorite beverage and squint just right! :D

Best wishes,

Edit to add: I fogot to mention that the engraved lines were rubbed with a #2 pencil lead and then sanded off with 1500 grit so the lead only remained in the engravings.

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

You could draw a sea scene in which there was your C.W. Morgan Whaleboat in which there was a knife on which there was a sea scene again in which there was your C.W. Morgan Whaleboat again in which... m0124.gif

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

I remember as a kid there use to be a folk festival at the state fair grounds. leather work, soap making and so forth. one year there was a guy doing scrimshaw. I remember watching for hours. As I recall it was a pointed tip, conical point and the tip made the scratches. A chisel point, althought it doesn't look wide maybe be too wide. Of course you may have hit the boundary, but I use to work for a guy whose brother painted on rice grains.  

So after MUCH consideration, I know you can beat a grain of rice painter. Maybe more time in the POD with the doors closed until the heat sharpens your skills as fine as the point needed to skimshaw a 1/2 cm bone handle. Ferit is Right, You'd then be able to do the concentric imploding picture for sure, or at least imagine you did.

There's also the possiblity of using the electron microscope for better visiblity, but that's probably packed already. LOL :piratetongueor4:

Hope the move hasn't caused this.

Seriously though, nice try. It really just need more work I think, as I recall the artist I watched would scratch and wipe. Not sure what was used for die. but like a tatoo artist, he'd work a bit then wipe to see the picture, going back to deepen where needed. maybe just more scratching is all thats needed. Rum probably would help also.

Edited by themadchemist

Scrimshaw... ???  Wow!!!  post-76-0-45817300-1376370651.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: