Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

That's a really good likeness of the carving in the pic Dave. Is that one that needs a duplicate also? 

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

That's a really good likeness of the carving in the pic Dave. Is that one that needs a duplicate also?

Yep.... Just finished pouring the mold.....it will cure out overnight.

Note that the finished plastic casting will have considerably sharper and cleaner detail.

I just came in from detailing the first casting from the "birdman" mold, and it really cleaned up nicely.

Should be able to post pics from both pieces tomorrow.

Thanks Frank, and Greg.....always great to hear from you guys.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Cool... not only are you an excellent carver, you're fast.   I can't wait for the update, but I will... <twiddles thumbs><whistles><looks innocent>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Dave,

Wonderful work and as Mark says really fast!  I can't believe how rapidly you are able to create these lovely carvings.  

As for the item in his left hand...my 2c is it looks like a royal orb so perhaps it really is the king himself!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Dave,

Wonderful work and as Mark says really fast!  I can't believe how rapidly you are able to create these lovely carvings.  

As for the item in his left hand...my 2c is it looks like a royal orb so perhaps it really is the king himself!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Royal Orb....Knew I could count on you Nigel. Thanks

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

New carvings finished and placed.....

The clean-up of the two new carvings went pretty well.... actually a little more detail than I expected, considering the scale.

post-11777-0-39823300-1455294508_thumb.jpg

And here's the image of the carving I'm choosing to fit into that last panel.

Unfortunately, I expect to lose a lot of these amazing details once I scale it down to fit in the 1/2" x 1-1/4" panel.

post-11777-0-93984900-1455294817_thumb.jpg

I may have to go back to Sculpy for this one.... we shall see.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Just Amazing Dave, Beautiful work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Dragons roughed out in Sculpy....

Think I will try something new with this one because of the delicate nature around the necks and heads of the dragons.

Taking this to the oven on the glass used to sculpt it. 

After baking it to a cure, I'll build a mold box onto the glass around the figure and pour the rubber mold compound.

I'm afraid to try to transfer this particular piece from the glass to another mold box.

post-11777-0-31129500-1455309520_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Nice work Dave - - - ummmm, two carvings in one day????  Getoutahere already  :o  :o   Here I work 5 hours and am not even half done with my carving.  Must be something wrong with me  :( 

Like those dragons Dave!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Dave 

Great work on the two dragons. Amazing detail! 

Question: do you do the work on glass and let it harden before you place it in the oven or what do you do? 

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

G'day Dave 

Great work on the two dragons. Amazing detail! 

Question: do you do the work on glass and let it harden before you place it in the oven or what do you do? 

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

Good question Greg....

The Sculpy clay doesn't begin hardening until placed in the oven..... a thin piece like this only requires 15 min at 275 degrees.

Sawdust Dave -

Every ship modeler knows and appreciates these little moments of celebration..... last plank of a hull or deck, last clove hitch finishing up ratlines, last cannon rigged of a major war ship.....

Here's the last carving to fill in all the broadside hull carvings of my SOS....

post-11777-0-52424200-1455374423_thumb.jpg

:champagne::cheers::pirate41::dancetl6::10_1_10:

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

All I can say is WOW!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

G'day  Dave 

I didn't explain my question in the correct manor.  Before you place the dragons in the oven, did you remove it from the glass or waited till it dried a bit then placed them in the oven, or what did you do? I think trying to remove the dry, unovened piece it would brake up. On the other hand the ovened piece would stick to the glass and would brake up when removed. Hope tht you understand my question  now.

Thanks for the temperature info on your previous post.

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

G'day  Dave 

I didn't explain my question in the correct manor.  Before you place the dragons in the oven, did you remove it from the glass or waited till it dried a bit then placed them in the oven, or what did you do? I think trying to remove the dry, unovened piece it would brake up. On the other hand the ovened piece would stick to the glass and would brake up when removed. Hope tht you understand my question  now.

Thanks for the temperature info on your previous post.

Greg 

I think I understand your question more better now Greg....

This particular piece was so delicate, mainly because of the long skinny necks of both dragons, I chose to bake them on the glass without trying to move them.

Then, even though the clay was fully cured, I was afraid to try to remove them from the glass.... so I simply built a mold box around the clay piece while still on the glass.  You're right....a piece this fragile cannot be moved from the glass without great risk, even after baking.

Sure enough, after removing the perfect silicone rubber mold, I very carefully attempted to removed the clay figure from the glass....THREE PIECES!

That help?

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks Dave 

Just an idea from Doris. She makes her figures on the back paper of contact sheeting, and it works for her.

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

Great looking carvings, Dave.   I think Jesse summed it up nicely.... WOW!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Every ship modeler knows and appreciates these little moments of celebration..... last plank of a hull or deck, last clove hitch finishing up ratlines, last cannon rigged of a major war ship.....

Here's the last carving to fill in all the broadside hull carvings of my SOS....

attachicon.gifaa.JPG

:champagne::cheers::pirate41::dancetl6::10_1_10:

Hi Dave

I really don't know what to say, apart from "bloody incredible"!

Congratulations on completing the carvings.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Dave 

Just an idea from Doris. She makes her figures on the back paper of contact sheeting, and it works for her.

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

Doris is an incredible artist, as you know Greg.  Her SOS just may be among the finest in the world....created in paper, by the way.

Have also used waxed paper.... but, now I must give away another personal secret.... :rolleyes:

The "glass" I use for sculpting is actually a 5" magnifying lens taken from an old shop light fixture.

The radius surface allows me to spin it around as needed, and the size allows me to hold it in my hand when I go in really close for extremely fine details.

post-11777-0-02654700-1455406106_thumb.jpg

I also usually work over a solid black mat for the background in order to see the sharp contrast of the edges.

Then, there's the advantage, that the finished piece can be taken directly to the oven without risk of distortion.

Works great for me.

Many thanks again for your interest, and thoughtful comments my friend.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Congrats Dave, fantastic achievement.  Quite a variety of figures you have, makes it the more interesting to look ogle at.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Congrats Dave on celebrating this milestone...it must be a great feeling to see your SOS coming to life.

Also... many thanks for sharing all your different carving techniques.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Every ship modeler knows and appreciates these little moments of celebration.....

Dave !!

That is far more than a " ... little moment" !!

That is an OMG moment !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

So do I. Celerbration day, indead!

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Kudos  great idea and wonderful carving using Sculpy.  I remember going to an artist's fair and saw several carving techniques.  One of them that is similar to your method but different material.  He used hard wax then placed it in a resin mold and cast it.

David B

My respect for a few "Masters" of the art of ship modeling is so high, I tend to read their teachings like the gospel of truth. This comment by my personal favorite Master of all, EdT, kinda put me in a personal quandary....

"We are modelers, not designers. Sometimes design is unavoidable due to lack of definition, but in the case of the single brass rail, I think it is reasonable given the evidence."

As much as I intended to take a pure modeler approach to building the SOS, I quickly discovered that the plan sheets were so flawed, I had to completely abandon them and seek other graphic resources. Then, finding, among every SOS BUILD I have studied..... They are all different in so many ways, I concluded that there really isn't a truly "correct" interpretation of this great ship. While Bill Short seems to have approached it most closely following the only painting in existence,, there are still many ways to approach much of the structural architecture.

So, rightly or wrongly, I do find myself, out of necessity, being a "designer" in this particular build.

Would much prefer having a complete set of historically accurate plans.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -