USCG Pequot (WARC-58) by Cap'n'Bob - 1:96 - Finished

Nice work, Bob.  Well.. it's a tug so I guess there's a reason for doing things that way.  Ease of line handling, perhaps?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all.  The only reason I can think of for the bollards on the bulwarks is to clear deck space. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Having done mooring cleat sizing for even just an 85 foot boat, I have to say those must be some HEFTY bulwarks! Properly sized and designed cleats carry a LOT of load in them. Have you seen any photos of the boat that confirm the plans, or provide more clarity into how the arrangement might have been used?

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hi Ben,  Being a designer you would enjoy the Pequot website.  There are lots of drawings and tons of photos of the Pequot and here sister ships.

http://indicatorloops.com/usn_pequot_plans.htm

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

hey there Bob...........I finally caught up to you!  :)   what a fine looking build you have here.   the hull looks super........interested in seeing how you do the metal hull look.   I'll pull up a chair  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks, Popeye.  I'm learning a lot on this build.  So I'm not surprised you are, "interested in seeing how you do the metal hull look"  I am too.

Bob

As I said before, the hull was welded but the bulwarks were riveted.  I was going to show some welded seams on the hull but realized that at this scale the welds would not be seen.  On the other hand, thanks to Nils (Mirabell61), I am showing the rivets. 

Bob

You can see here how the cleats and Bollards are mounted.

post-513-0-98790700-1450230614_thumb.jpg

The rest show the riveting of the bulwarks.  They and the hull will be painted black which was standard during WWII.

post-513-0-34482300-1450230624_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-23259800-1450230634_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-05926200-1450230644_thumb.jpg

Very Nice, Bob, she's looking good, Beautiful work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Looking good on rivets, Bob.   I quite agree about the welds.  Unless they used overlapping plates, welds shouldn't be seen.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks to all oh you for your good and encouraging words.  I need to paint the bulwarks but I'm afraid to paint too soon because I know the foil does not take pain well.

Bob

riveting and weld seams may not be prominent detail,  but it would be considered texture.  thinking back to the early plastic model,  rivets and seam lines weren't even tooled into the molds.    they were bland......wood modeling is no different really.   even if they were to get flattened down,  they would still be seen.   in wood modeling,  we try to add in these textures to give them realism.........expanding the medium out of the  'wooden ship'  box.   looking very good so far  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

is this aluminum foil Bob?   you could try the dull side out......it would be rougher and would take primer.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, it's an aluminum foil tape used for ductwork.  It's .005 thick and has a waxed paper backing.  I usually use acrylic paint so I dabbed some on a scrap of tape and let it dry two days.  The paint came off easily with my fingernail.   

Bob

super riveting Job Bob,

I know and experienced the paint coming off (fingernail test) in the beginning as well :(,  and to overcome this, I clean the metal thorrowly and carefully with acetone on a cotton cloth first and then apply a resin based paint without any primer underneath. The criteria will be if you mask a tape over the cured paint, and it does`nt come off, when peeling the tape away, then you`ve got it.... :rolleyes:

very nice work

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks. I'll have to fine the resin based paint.  Is that the Mr.Base White 1000 you mentioned in your build?

Bob

Hi Bob,

the Mr. Base White 1000 is a filler primer I use for small wooden and and brass made parts.

The resin based paint applied without primer,  is the red one (pls. ref. to my posts  # 647 and #681 of the KWdG build log, also the black silicone based paint has a very good adhesion even to the shiny aluminium, but I do`nt know if that would be available in other colors...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks, Nils, I'll look into that.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the holidays are over and I can get back to modeling.  In painting the hull I messed up the rivet band so that had to be redone.  Plans are to paint the bulwarks and deck, install the rail and start on the cabins.  Here are the pictures for now.

Bob     

post-513-0-85839000-1452543370_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-93031500-1452543360_thumb.jpg

Patrick, I always Look forward to what will be next.  It's great fun.

John, I do not know about military ships but my friends who do tell me during WWII the hull should be black and the deckhouse should be off white.

Bob

looking really sweet Bob  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks, Popeye.

Bob

Hi Bob, just read thru your log. Looks really good.

I think the color you may want to use for the deck-house is called 5-L Light Gray or 5-H Haze Gray. Vallejo and Testors both carry these as water based paints

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken.  The white I have is more of a warm white but going towards the gray makes sense.  I'll have to look into it.

Bob

Bob, I think back during WW II, 3/4 of the Navy was some shade of gray. Most camo measures were blues and grays, with some black on subs and some surface ships later in the war. A good site for USN camouflage is: http://www.shipcamouflage.com/.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild