USCG Pequot (WARC-58) by Cap'n'Bob - 1:96 - Finished

Bob, I do believe that they were.  They had responsibility for national shoreline defense.  They probably also were assigned a certain amount of soldiers to help with things in case it became a shooting war at the home front until the regular forces could be adjusted to cover in that instance.  I believe they also had responsibility for mine laying for defense of the home front as well as patrolling the shorelines. I am pretty sure I read something about some of their actions in the Atlantic earlier in the war.  After all the Germans were patrolling right off our shores at the time.  They sank shipping right outside our shoreline, some even in sight of the land.   

Edited by Walter Biles

the deckhouse looks beautiful Bob,

also love those drainpipes ... ;)

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Walter, I guess the soldiers were thought to be necessary  or they wouldn’t have been there.

Frank come on up any time, you’re welcome anytime.  Just bring the Dunbrody with you.

John I don’t know how the command went but reading from the plans the quarters attached to the wheelhouse was divided into three areas.  The Master had one half immediately behind the wheel house and had inside access.  The other half was devised in half and only had access by going around the outside.  The CO had completely separate quarters with all the necessities so that he never had to leave his rooms.

Thanks Patrick, but the intricacies are not up to your level yet.

Thanks Nils, Yes I had to put in the drainpipes.

Now it’s on to the main deckhouse that these two are mounted on.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Well I did start on the main deckhouse but then I got sidetracked by the butterfly vents.  There are two that mount between the two upper deckhouses.  I took a page from Kees de mol’s modeling book and decided to make them out of Evergreen styrene.  This is a first in working in plastic since I was a teenager.  It’s nice to know I now have a different material to work with.  Don't wory about the top on the small vent, it's not glued yet.

Bob

post-513-0-70043300-1463965094_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Bob

Nice job at those vents! I like to make them from plywood, i feel more confident with it. Styrene is a material i`ve never worked with.

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Thanks Gerhard.  I had never worked with Styrene either.  When I was young it wasn't around for modelers.  I usually build in bass wood and some brass.  Lately I've started using card stock for some details, and after seeing kees de mol's builds, here in MSW, I had to give it a try.  I feel we need to be able to use whatever material we can to make our models look as real as possible. 

Bob

I feel we need to be able to use whatever material we can to make our models look as real as possible. 

Bob

Agreed!

Gerhard

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Finished models

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

I started in the plastic medium..........I'm sure it was around then  {HO scale trains and such}.   it was probably at the hobby store I used to haunt......never seen it.   that was back in the days when I was hack'in and slash'in car bodies and sprues.  when I first came to this site,  it seemed like plastic was the big bad wolf for wooden ships........I never thought that........just that some of the parts weren't right for the aspect they were made for.  plastic has the ability to meld joints and give a better seamless assembly for most applications.  Kees demonstrates this very well  :)

it's a learning curve Bob.........but for you,  it will be a very small one  ;)    skylights look very good  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Popeye, I am learning faster than I thought I would.

Lawrence, I’m not ready to place the copper vents yet but here’s how the rest of it looks.

I used styrene again for the main deckhouse.  Bending the curved ends was the hardest part.  I had to go slow with very little heat, about body temp.  In the first two photos it is the lighting that makes it look yellow. The doors will be open so I put the barrier down the middle so you can’t see through.  Then the handrails.  There’s a spot of epoxy on the inside where each wire penetrates the wall.   

Then I went back to soldered brass for the stack.  I once again discovered you can’t always trust the drawings.  The drawing shows the whistle at the top of the stack where the pictures show it just below the band holding the support wires.

I put all the parts in place and showed it to the admiral.  She who only like sails.  She admitted that it was beginning to look like a nice boat, and it would be OK if I built non sail boats once in a while.  Wow sometimes I do win.

Bob

post-513-0-00148500-1465576893_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-45732400-1465576908_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-66042200-1465576919_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-49090000-1465576932_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-93858900-1465576943_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-70388700-1465576955_thumb.jpg

Super work Bob,   :)   :)

you`ve been very busy since your last post, and the result is awsome looking !!

The stack with whistle and pipes looks great, also the lower deckhousing with door outcuts and porthole (nice round ! ), and hand rails, very well done, its going to be a real nostalgic beauty, when all is mounted

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Nils, but it's only my humble attempt to match your building skills. 

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Bob, Wow is she looking good, nice update. Nothing wrong with nonsail models in my humble opinion.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Beautiful work, Bob.   Your detailing is incredible. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work Bob!

I dont like it, I love it! And YES; Sometimes WE win....................

Regards

Gerhard

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

USS CAIRO

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

Finished models

Thank you all for your comments and likes.  I do enjoy building boats of all kinds and adding the details, to me details add the wow factor.  stay tuned, there's still a lot to do on this boat before she sails away. 

Bob

Thanks Walter.

Bob

looking great Bob........you added in some really nice detail.  the structure fits well on the deck  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch