Heroine 1838 by ggrieco - FINISHED - Scale 1:24 - Western River Steamboat as she appeared before hitting a snag in the Red River

Mind blowing stuff going on here. Truly amazing!

A joy to see this come together. 

Cheers,

Robin

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Thanks Keith, Robin, Tom and KirbysLunchBox for your comments and everyone else for the likes.

I think you may have a good point KirbysLunchBox, if you did have to replace a spoke the extra overhead would be useful.

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

Glenn, Your build is pure eye candy for the rest of us. Wonderful update!

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Great progress since I last checked in Glenn. It just occurred to me that this is basically a three dimensional history text, following the adage "that a picture is worth a thousand words" There must be a great deal of satisfaction in piecing together a story about the detail of vessel from a few remains.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks steamschooner and Michael

Michael,  It's good to hear from you again.  I hope you had a great time while you were away.  I've missed your posts and look forward to seeing you back at it!

I spent all of this last week finishing up the bunks and interior planking.  I still need to add the rails to the bunks and my wife has volunteered to make all the mattresses.  I've started on the windows -- just the interior side of the frames.  I'll add the mica and outer half later after the walls are painted.  This makes it easier to paint the exterior frame before installing it.

post-21385-0-58538700-1471699813_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-83361400-1471699822_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-51770600-1471700244_thumb.jpg

Close up of three completed window.  I really like the effect of the mica - Thanks druxey for suggesting it.

post-21385-0-34207900-1471700261_thumb.jpg

Glenn

My Gallery

Glad you like mica. It takes a little getting used to; peeling it and cutting it without chipping along the edges. Lovely progress again, Glenn.

I had another thought about the paddle box covers. The height and diameter of the cover gives the impression of a much larger wheel beneath, therefore implying greater motive power. Think of 'blisters' on hoods of muscle cars!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hello druxey,

I've used it before to make a replica of a seventeenth century sundial but, I never thought of the ship model connection. I have to say, cutting the rectangular windows from the mica was a lot easier than cutting the round piece for the sundial.

Interesting idea about the paddlebox. My paddlewheels are bigger than yours!

Edited by ggrieco

Glenn

My Gallery

Glenn, absolutely magnificent workmanship. I love the interior shutters around the windows. Nice detail. I am in awe!

The location of the bunks looks strange.  I'm used to them being placed athwart ship and a door to the deck as well as to the inner common room.  Was this arrangement common, and when did it change?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I have been on the road for a few weeks with limited internet access; but what a great update to comer back to Glenn.  She is looking great and that 'mica' sure sets the windows off.  Love the detail for the bunks, furniture etc.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Jack, Bob, Patrick, Frank and Pat for your comments and everyone for the likes.

Bob, sorry that I didn't get back to your question more quickly, I wanted to check Kevin's notes on the subject. For his deck arrangement, he mentions descriptions of three contemporary vessels, Cavalier (1832), Water Witch (1832), and Swiss Boy (1836). He also mentions a watercolor of the Ladies' Cabin on the steamer Chalevoix (1838). It seems that at least for the 1830's, this arrangement was in use but it may have changed as the vessels got larger in the 1840s onward. Is it possible that with a wider beam, more cabins could be added with bunks athwart ship? Just my guess though.

Glenn

My Gallery

At the time I asked the question I had not considered the beam of the boat.  But if you have a great room in the center with a cabin on each side and then a walkway outside of that the boat would have to have at least a 28 feet wide beam and probably more like 32 feet minimum.  What is the width of the Heroine? I find the length at 140 Feet but I have not found a measurement of the hull width.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Heroine's beam was twenty feet and about 36 feet across the main deck. If you consider that the you lose about a foot to the double planked walls of the deckhouse, you only have about 19 feet to work with. It does make sense to run the bunks longitudinally to make room for a great room. I sometimes forget how small this vessel is compared to the later steamers.

Glenn

My Gallery

Thanks Glenn.  Yes we forget that some of these boats were small.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Sorry that I've been away.  Progress has slowed with the first model while I try to get caught up on the second.  I didn't want to bore everyone with the replay.  Fortunately, most of the parts are already machined for the first model and only need to be assembled.  The process is going fairly quickly.  I was able to add a few details such as doors and bunk rails to the first model and will start on the roof trusses next week.

Second model going together.

post-21385-0-05676400-1474116221_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-34991700-1474116230_thumb.jpg

Bunk rails in.  My wife has started on the mattresses.  They are a piece of fabric stretched around a piece of foam board with the paper faces removed.  Then eight stitches to represent buttons.

post-21385-0-89329600-1474116394_thumb.jpg

I decided to mill the doors instead of building them from individual pieces.

post-21385-0-70912500-1474116406_thumb.jpg

Not happy with the paint job.  I should have sanded after the first coat.

post-21385-0-94362300-1474116424_thumb.jpg

Top painted.  Sorry for the poor photo quality.

post-21385-0-32950200-1474116446_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-95186800-1474116470_thumb.jpg

Glenn

My Gallery

Nice update, missed the weekend posts ... sanding between paint coats ... that would have been hard in those small recesses, doable, but hard. You still can though ...

I think I wouldn't mind seeing the second grow like the first one. Such wonderful details ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It's like deja vu...all over again. Tell you wife great work on those mattresses, just the right amount of grime.

That must be a very small milling bit because those inside corners look almost square.

Our members were going through withdrawal from their lack of weekly W.R.S.H. fix! Thans for the update.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I didn't want to bore everyone

Say what?  :o

Nothing boring going on here!

Robin  :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Thanks everybody,

I've missed the opportunity for to check in for the last couple of weeks but my weekends have been tied up with a couple of family events. It's nice to finally have a free weekend.

Thanks Patrick, Carl, Greg, Frank, druxey, and Robin for your comments. I might do things a little differently the second time around and post the results. Greg, my wife says thanks for the comment on the mattresses and the end mill is 1/32 inch. I have some 1/3 mm mills that I've been hoping to put to use but haven't yet found any details that require a mill that small.

Glenn

My Gallery

Nice to see the update Glenn, I was missing my weekly fix.  Beautiful work as usual.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

beautiful work Glenn,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50