HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

9 hours ago, allanyed said:

Can't remember other kit builders doing this

Both @Dubz and @Siegfried bought these Sherbourne plans (of which sections were shown) and there was  much critical discussion of them, especially from @Stockholm Tar, when I was building mine. For example about the gunport lids, the horse and the windlass. The belaying plan, although obviously not on the original plans, also came in for much discussion, especially round the bowsprit.

Tony

Hi Allan .. Cheers For That!  but if my Ballahoo looks good it is simply because I'm standing on the shoulders of Giants (Dubz & Tony who commented above being some of them) .. As per Tony's comment above, I got the idea to purchase the original Plans from Dirk (aka Dubz) who is unfortunately no longer on MSW.. and I'll be referring heavily to all the other great Sherbourne builds on here.. I remember some of the discussions mentioned above too as there are a few things on the original plans which differ to how we perceive Sherbourne to look (especially  'Out of the Box')   I'm really looking forward to examining the other builds and reminding myself of all those discussions as I move along.. not forgetting the Bulkhead Former height towards the stern and the resultant issues for Cannons/Gun Ports.. I seem to recall this being a potential early on problem.

BTW Tony .. Have you heard from Kester (aka Stockholm Tar) .. I left a message on his Page a while ago asking after him.. He was so close to finishing his Sherbourne if memory serves.

Thanks Again Folks For Stopping By, For Liking And For Commenting ..

Eamonn

Rem if you have any questions about the build please do fire away.. I realize I didn't do too many explanations of my technique (whether right or wrong) as I went along.

E

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe it!  Well done indeed sir, you've done her proud and she's looking mighty fine.  Really fine model Eamonn.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Ahh Thanks Mate .. Only a mere 7 years or so,  She's not quiet there yet (only a couple of little things to do) but to all intents and purposes Ballier is finished .. I'll be looking into Glass Cases as soon as things get back to normal over here.

Eamonn

Cheers to all the Likes too BTW always appreciated

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Ahh Thanks Guys .. Seriously though, I just 'Forest Gumped' my way along using other MSW members builds for Inspiration and Technique..

Cheers For The Wonderful Comments.. Blushing Like Nobodies Business Here.. :blush:

Eamonn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Eamonn. I apologise for being so late to the party, but I'd like to add my congratulations to the well-deserved plaudits you've earned for this splendid model. I particularly like the way you have displayed her.

Well done!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

On 4/13/2014 at 11:07 AM, egkb said:

Quick Photo Update..

Hull is painted to about 99% complete, just touch-up's required now.

Next up for Ballier is to put those 'triangular' pieces between the Bulwarks & the Port/Stbd. Transom Frames, then get on with the Margin Doodah ^_^  ^_^  Oh Joy.. :rolleyes:

Incidentally the 'White Stuff' isn't near as severe as it looks in the photos, it is a very off white, but the Studio Flash brightens it.. honestly it does :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Thanks For Checking In

Eamonn

post-5925-0-04067100-1397401656_thumb.jpg

post-5925-0-15190000-1397401658_thumb.jpg

Hi Eamonn,

Once again LOVE your work.  I am progressing on my Ballahoo build.  Getting ready to paint inside Bulwark, I should have taken your lead and painted BEFORE deck planking.  I hope my 3M tape does the trick in preventing "bleed" onto deck. My question is what color did you paint first, Black or white to create this beautiful waterline?

Regards,

SZiggy8

Hi SZiggy8 ..  I believe I painted the Black over the white .. I can't remember exactly but suspect I would have painted the White well above (ie 1 cm or so) above where the waterline is, then drew the waterline (after taking measurements from the plans and leveling Ballahoo so I could run my pencil around using a makeshift 'waterline marker') then laid my tape and rubbed the edge with something blunt to ensure no bleed then painted the black ..

The White I used isn't a 'Brilliant White' but is in fact a creamy/off white in colour (only slightly mind you)  Oh and don't forget the rudder when you are painting, in case you have left it to install later I mean.

Have you a build log by the way .. I should love to follow it !

Eamonn

PS any questions please ask away.. I shall try to remember what I did lol (looong build time here )

On 5/29/2021 at 2:23 PM, egkb said:

BTW Tony .. Have you heard from Kester (aka Stockholm Tar)

The last I heard from him was some time round 2016 when he said he was moving on from modelling. I see he last posted a community map placement from Stockholm in November 2020, but his last posting was in 2017. You could try a PM.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks Guys .. I was a long journey (made longer by a few interruptions :) :)  ) I have taken a break at the mo as I'm setting up my own business, I have been involved in Photographic Printing and Framing for the past 16 years and thought I'd better get stuck in and do it for myself ! Unfortunately that means I'm not able to start my next project just yet (Sherbourne) but the MNN plans are all laid out.. fingers crossed I'll be able to kick her off soon though.. Doesn't mean I'm not keeping an eye on all your fine builds out there ..

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi All ..  Bit of good news to relate ..Many of you may remember Kester from on here (MSW).. aka Stockholm Tar .. building a very smart Sherbourne .. but he seemed to vanish before finishing her .. I was browsing Facebook a short time ago and up pops the name Kester on a Historic Shipping Site, He has written a book which seems to be based around our shipping period...  If I find out anything further I'll pop it on here.

Bye For Now

Eamonn

BTW I haven't vanished myself either.. I pop into your builds and keep up to date at least once a week.. The new venture is going better than we could ever have hoped, but it leaves little time for hobbies as yet .. 

E

That's definitely good news regarding your new venture, I'm glad it's working out well for you, even if it doesn't leave you any time for the shipyard. 

We'll still be here when working allows you a respite.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Kester had mentioned somewhere at the time that he was going to write a book. Glad it's surfaced, and thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Tony

Edited by tkay11