HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Hi Folks .. Not sure if it's a Site Glitch or an Eamonn's Computer Glitch, but all content I follow (and have read) for the past 3 years (ish) has come up as Un-Read (and showing all as new content from back then)..  So I had to go to the 'Mark All Content As Read' tab on the bottom of the Main Forum Page and hit it !  Alas this means that I may have missed some very recent activity on your Logs (I will slowly have to locate the most recent stuff posted and go from there, prob from last Thursday) Just to let ye all know I'm not ignoring anyone :) :)  Honest .. I just had to mark every thing as Read cos there was a LOT of stuff suddenly showing up !

Cheers

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hey There Richard ..  I've slowed down a bit over here (back in work, but on a short week)

The last thing I did on the Slipway was to create a template off the original stand (the bow part) and cut it out in thin wood sheet, glue it to a small base that slips nicely between the Slipway blocks (between the 2nd & 3rd set of blocks, the highest ones in the above photo.. Post #847 ) this supports the Ballahoo nicely, enabling the Keel to sit on all blocks as I begin to measure the distances and angles required for the 'Timber Uprights' that will stop her from falling over... 3 or 4 per side I'm thinking..  Bit more work to do on it before the next Photo Set :) 

Thanks For Looking In Richard, Always Appreciated ! And Thank You Also To The Likes..  Will Have To see If We Can Get Any More 'Father Ted' Quotes In Here Jason :) :)  Can Never Have Enough 'Ted'

All The Very Best

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Folks ... Just a quick update to show ye the situation with the Stand ...  Well it's pretty much finished ! :)  Woo Hoo...

I put the finishing touches to it last night and gave it a 'Georgian Medium Oak' stain followed by some Wipe On Poly to seal the deal (both Literally and figuratively)

As I expected the Uprights were the tricky bits to get right as each one had to be custom fit to the hull curves at the point of contact ... Don't mind admitting that I really like it :) 

All The Best Folks And Thanks For Looking In.

Eamonn

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks ..  Just a quick post to let ye know I haven't forgotten about Ballier .. I have been back at work this past few months and been up to my neck..  I hope to be able to get back to her shortly though (She is on the window sill looking accusingly at me as we speak :) ) 

All The Very Best

Eamonn

• 4 weeks later...

Hey There Folks ...  I have been  meaning to follow Dirks advice from earlier to revisit the Fore Mast Mouse..  well guess what :) Yup ! I got the Ballier off the shelf and in Dirk fashion I de-constructed the Fore Stay and rebuilt from the 'ground up' .. including serving the mouse (my nerves are only settling back to normal now, an hour later :) :) )  It's amazing how what became almost second nature before I put her on the shelf (work etc got in the way) ended up much more labour intensive a few months later, due to forgetting the basics (and having to relearn as I went)

Anyhoo the final result is waaay better (I think) than what it replaced and sits well with the rest ..

All The Very Best

Eamonn @ Nerve Jangling Ship Yards

Photo Time

IMG_5712.jpg

Very nice achievement on this mouse. It's much more integrated that way.

This schooner is really beautiful !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thanks J-P and the Likes .. It does seem to sit in better for sure (Dirk (Dubz) was quiet correct (Never doubted it for a second to be honest :)  ) )

Thanks Again For The Nice Comment on Ballahoo and Thank You for Stopping By ..

Cheers

Eamonn

Very nicely done! Is there a good resource for determining what parts of lines are served? I’m getting close to the rigging stage and knowing what to serve seems like a mystery to me at the moment.

Can't say there is a definitive work on determining which parts are served and for how far .. I did consider wear and tear on the rope as a guide, would a sail etc tend to hit it in normal use for example, I pretty much served lines which are Stays & Shrouds  and only where they come in contact with the Mast, I did however fully Serve all standing rigging to the Bowsprit as they would be in water a lot and likely subject to more wear .. some builders might also Serve the entire length of the Shrouds for instance (I was going to Serve the entire 'Aft' most Shrouds (where the sails would hit it when 'running',  but chose not to as on examination there wouldn't be much wear n' tear on it above where I did Serve.. if you follow)  it was quiet some time ago when i decided on this course of action and it may have been in the book The Global Schooner that reinforced ( :) ) my decision.. But I did look into it ! Darcy Lever's 'The Young Sea Officer Sheet Anchor' may also have info btw ..

Hope this hasn't confused you even more :)  :) 

Eamonn ..  Oh and Thanks for Looking In also !

Later Edit: I forgot to mention the Bowsprit Running Rigging being Served

Just A Quick Update Folks ..  The Shrouds are now as tight as I want them to be, so I began on the Fore Mast Port Side and finished off the Lanyards by wrapping them around the shrouds and seizing the ends to the Shroud itself ..  Suffice to say I now have 3 fewer loose lines lying about (looking positively Ship Shape ! :)  :) ) Only a wee bit of tidying up to do on them, particularly twisting the Dead Eyes to be more upright.. if you follow.

Oh and I also realised that I did in fact Serve the entire Aft Most Shroud on the Fore Masts, though not on the Main Mast !

Cheers Folks

Eamonn

21.10.20 dead eyes fore mast port side.jpg

• 1 month later...

Alright, I need to know.  How do you accomplish such nice rigging tie offs?   I need an Eamonn intervention.

My threads tend to go every which way except for where I need them (like evenly moving up the shrouds above the deadeyes).    Teach me your ways.....

The bigger the blob the better the job doesn't always apply LOL.

Mark

Edited by kruginmi

Hey There Mark .. LOL .. My secret .. A sharp knife/scissors (the scissor is one of those very very tiny versions.. see below) That said before cutting I put a 'touch' of Super Glue to the area, which sets it and stops fraying, then 'snip' with the scissor or cut with a No. 11 .. (being extra careful not to 'Snip' or 'Cut' the actual rigging itself ..)

Hope That Helps Mark .. Thanks For dropping By  😄

Eamonn

The Scissor in question..

psc1002.jpg.22945f1f953cf003e05ee25d293a8603.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Again Folks ...  Well I have decided it is Deconstruction Time  (Dubz Style) .. I have been glancing over at Ballier this past few months (busy in work and getting my Blood Pressure sorted put a stop to building) and looking at the slight step in the level of the Dead-eyes on the Fore Mast (the aft most ones on each side) Soooo I tidied up the build table and set to work with Scalpel and tweezers .. I was hoping I could salvage the existing Shroud (which is served over its entire length) lower the dead-eyes 3 or 4 mm and re-tie, then add a short length to the ends of the shroud to extend the 'doubling' (which could have been hidden amongst the seizing.. If you follow.. Alas nope.. It is a full Re-Do on the port & stbd aft most shrouds .. Oh Well :) 

You can see the problem in the last photo I posted above..

All The Best Folks And Thanks For Stopping By ..  Oh and Happy New Year To Ye All (Belated :) :) )

Eamonn

OK Folks .. The Deadeyes are re-done .. I just need to tidy them both up now then re tighten all those Lines I had to loosen off in order to facilitate the De-Construction ..  Simples..

From there it's onto a general tighten and tidy, then comes some Rope Coil/Loop making and rigging the Anchors to Ballier with their Anchor Buoy's etc.. Getting Close to a Finnish now (Fingers Crossed 😉🙄🙃)

All The Very Best Folks and As Usual Thanks For Dropping By !

Eamonn

Dead Eye Re Do Jan 2021.jpg

Thanks Jason .. I'm not at your level yet though ! (Perhaps after another 8 years.. Or should that be 7 and half :)  )

Finished the Port Side Dead-Eyes and had a quick tidy around whilst I was there ..  Stbd Side next .. Probably tomorrow as I think a John Wayne Film beckons on this Wet Cold Late January Day ..

All The Best

Eamonn

Port Side Dead-Eyes Done plus Tidy Around.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Text update .. Ratlines are underway (I've also made the wooden 'Stretcher's' that goes below them)  No photos as I've only done 5 so-far

Eamonn

Ratline Action Continues ☺️  Photo this time as I've something to actually show !  Distance between them is equal to 14'' scaled and Stretchers will be added when they are finished to avoid knocking it as I tie my Clove Hitches..

E

As Ever Thanks For Stopping By Folks

IMG_6032.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK Folks..  The Stbd Foremast Ratlines are done and the Stretcher is in place .. the ratlines haven't got their final shape just yet, will probably tackle that at end and do them all in one fell swoop (or should that be many one fell swoops ?? )

Have to say I rather enjoyed tying them off, I took my time (Shocker.. I know right) and did a couple every day with a few breaks to let the nerves settle, just kiddin, the weather has been rather nice so we took the time to begin getting the garden out of its winter hibernation..

All The Very Best folks, and once again Thank You for Popping By.

Eamonn

IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6067.jpg

ratlines look very neat, as does the rest of the build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Some really nice rigging there Eamonn, well done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Kevin & Mike (and the Likes), I'm half-way up the Main Mast Stbd Side now (tomorrow or Friday may just see that done) ye guys have completed full builds in the time it has taken me to even do the shrouds :) 

Eamonn

6 hours ago, egkb said:

Thanks Kevin & Mike (and the Likes), I'm half-way up the Main Mast Stbd Side now (tomorrow or Friday may just see that done) ye guys have completed full builds in the time it has taken me to even do the shrouds :) 

Eamonn

lol i am moving faster now that im retired, but my Victory took 7 years, and not that well done either, St Nectan 13 months, and currant build started last June, but i keep moving on to other projects, when i see something different/better, the Amerigo was started in 2008 and went onto the shelf of doom the same year 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Love the idea of the shelf of doom :)   I saw the Amerigo 18 months ago in Venice (went past on a cruise ship.. our honeymoon) and I was given a hat band from her back in the early 80's (the ribbon strip with her name on it from sailors caps)  My cousin is a Dublin Pilot and has taken her into port, He calls her the 'Career Breaker' as she is sooo unwieldy to handle in confined spaces :) :)  Beautiful looking vessel though for sure.

E

And just like that the Stbd Ratlines& Stretcher  are complete (Minus of course shaping them)  Port Side Here I come !

All The Very Best From Slightly Chilly Ireland

Eamonn

Thanks Again For Stopping By..

Stbd Main mast.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks .. Here is a quick 'As she Stands' photo .. This week I shaped the Horse Shoe & Fish Tail Plates (Port & Stbd)  out of thin brass plate, blackened them, simulated bolts (using a bunch to create 'dimples' ) and attached them to the hull..  Also as you can see the ratlines are progressing nicely (was a tad under the weather this week and they need a steady hand so I gave them a miss)

All The Very Best & Thanks For Stopping By..

Eamonn

Full Hull.jpg

Beautiful clean work Eamonn!  Really really nice!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well done Eamonn.  Beautiful work to be proud of. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig