HM Schooner Ballahoo by egkb - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64 Scale - First Proper Wood Build

Nice work on the anchors Eamonn the explanation of threading the hoops was really helpful...so if mine sinks at least my anchors should look good from a distance.. im looking forward to further updates, encourages me to keep at it ....😎

Tom

Hi Jeff, Tom & Caleb .. Thanks for popping by again..

Caleb, There is a similar anchor right at the bottom of my road, approx 20% larger though and minus it's wooden stock, so they do feel right for a vessel the size of Ballahoo, I don't have the original Caldercraft supplied Stocks (I cut them down to experiment on) but if you take a looksie at Caldercrafts Web Site and scroll to Ballahoo you will see them .. suffice to say if they (the stocks I mean as the Metal Parts are fine) were 1:1 and given to the actual Victory the crew would say , 'Ah Here Lads You're Having a Laugh, yer could stop Continental Drift with those yokes' :) :) 

Tom, There are 3 anchors down at the Black Castle in Wicklow, forming a kind of Art Piece, the two smaller ones are , if memory serves, closer to what should be on Ballahoo, they have iron stocks so are a bit later but size wise you would get the idea .. Am probably way off here memory wise and they probably came from Titanic or something and were left there 'cause they were too big :) :) 

Jeff, You are flying it with Pickle and will be doing your own anchors shortly, are her stocks more in proportion ? (I think Caldercraft just made generic One Size Fits None Stocks :) ) but as Pickle is significantly larger they may well be more in scale.

Thanks Again Guys, And To The Likes, Always Appreciated ..

Eamonn 

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

OK Folks ..  I can't put it off any longer.. it's now Masting and Rigging Time !

Both Masts are now glued in place (Currently waiting for glue to dry) then it's onto Shrouds/Ratlines and the rest of the Standing Rigging ..  If you look closely at the fore part of the stand there is a wee 'Scale Man' I use to get a better feel for Sizes etc ..

The Clip on the bottom of the Rudder is to stop it rotating as I move the model around, as I have the Tiller 'Tied Off', learned that the hard way btw :)  ..

Feels Good to have The Ballier back on the Table !

All The Best For Now Folks & Thanks For dropping By.

Eamonn

07.05.20 a.jpg

07.05.20 b.jpg

07.05.20 c Side Profile.jpg

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

++++++Latest .. Hot Off The Press ++++++

Schooner stay In Place.. Not fully Tightened Yet.. Next Up Probably The Fore stay.

Had a 'Moment' when I was checking the Blocks (Opening out the wee holes a little ) on the Fore Mast  (I glued it a couple of days ago, Or So I Thought :)  ) suffice to say the whole mast moved Ahhhhhhh ! So back to the Gluing and waiting, then some more waiting as the glue set, so I used the time to get the Schooner Stay ready.. Then this morning I rigged it and took this awful photo of it :)   I will take better ones tomorrow when my nerves settle down from rigging it.. just kiddin.. 🙄😁  It didn't go too badly !

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

Oh, The Wee Man is there again for scale ..

Schooner Stay.jpg

Hi Rick .. Thanks for stopping by .. Yea, he looks a little 'wooden' in the photo for sure :)  Have just realised it looks like he is standing on the rail (the belaying pins liik like his legs lol) in fact he is leaning against the mast .. 

Am contemplating adding Mousing to the 'hook' of the Schooner Stay.. You Know, Once The Nerves have Settled Again !!

All The Best And Thanks Also To All The 'Likes'

Eamonn

Hey There Jonny, Thanks for dropping in.. In fact I was just over on your Ballier Build and you are off to a great start ! Rem if I can be of any help let me know :) I can recognise many many boaty objects at even the quickest glance, even if I do say so myself :) :) 

All The Best

Eamonn

Hi Again Folks ..  Some slightly ( :) )  better photos this time..  Close Up of the Schooner Stay and todays work on the Fore Stay ..  I made the Mouse from a piece of left over dowel turned on the lathe ..  then served around it to form the bight (Loop) .. Attached the Deadeye and rove the Lanyard through it and the one previously done on the bow..

I noticed too late that the wee Man had fallen over in the background on one shot .. must have hit the grog too hard :) :) 

In the photo of the Top of the fore Mast (The photo with the Mouse) this isn't the final position of the Fore Stay, I have to do the Shrouds next then it will rest on these..

I also include a close up of the end fittings of the Bowsprit .. for no apparent reason :) except that I don't think I had taken one before.

All The Best Folks

Eamonn

Bow sprit end.jpg

Fore deck 1.jpg

Fore Deck.jpg

Fore Mast and Fore Stay Mouse.jpg

Fore Mast Deck.jpg

Main Mast and Schooner stay.jpg

Really jealous of your rope there buddy, looks so nice - you've got some really nice detail there, and especially the serving...top notch.  Assuming the stay will finally go over the hound of the mast and not rest on the stropping of the block(?)

Think I'm over here checking out your progress while you're over at mine... 🙂

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hey There Jason .. Yea, I was just over on your Snake ! :)  ..  Yes, the stay will eventually rest on the Shrouds (when I get them done) and not on the wee block (I sat it there to support it as I worked on the stay, it kept slipping down the mast :)  )

I picked up one of Chucks Rope Rockets a year or so back with the intention of making my own rope (currently I'm using Alex's (Alex M I think) which I bought about 5 years ago) I have some of my own incorporated also, am waiting on a shipment from UK as we speak to make up smaller thicknesses ..  Have to say, tis great fun to do and nice to be able to use your own.. you can make 3 or 4 mtrs of quality rope in mins.

Take Care Mate

Eamonn

Thanks Joe & Jeff for the lovely compliment .. Ballier is starting to come together now (at last :) )

Thanks also to the Likes, always appreciated !

Cheers

E

Another Bit Done ..

This time I attacked the Bow section in preparation for the Jib Stay (where it comes inboard) and a 'reinforcing' detail on the Bulwark Capping Forward where running rigging (I won't be using them) would come inboard from the Bowsprit ..

I drilled a hole in the upper Port Side Bow for the 'Jib' Stay to come inboard from the end of the Bowsprit and set up a belaying pin to receive it..  I will be attaching a block to the Bow (you will see the eyelet on the stem below the bowsprit for it) as part of run of this stay..

All The Best Folks ..

Eamonn

Bow.jpg

Fore deck Bowsprit Step.jpg

Fore Deck Side Protector.jpg

Hey Dirk .. Yup, it's just temporary :)  it keeps falling down otherwise, I'll have the shrouds in place soon and it will sit in its rightful place 

E

Annnnd a bit more ...

Jib Stay Time ..  Made up and fitted the Jib Stay and its 'Stem Block' arrangement , fairly straightforward bit of rigging, attached to the fore mast as per the Schooner stay earlier, then out to the Bowsprit end and back to the 'Stem block' and inboard to be made off on a 'pin' ..  The photos should explain better :)  

Getting busy up forward now eh :)  I see that a wee bit of a spring clean is required before I go too much further, the macro shots really show the dust and imperfections that the naked eye struggles to even notice, still a good enough reason to clean and touch up the paint etc.

All The Best Folks And Thanks For Stopping By

Eamonn .. Owner Operator at Speedy Ship Yard & Riggers.. Our Motto..  'Trust Me.. We'll Have Her In The Water By Christmas' 🙄🙄😇😇

Foredeck witht Jib stay.jpg

Full.jpg

Jib sheet end Of Bowsprit.jpg

Stem Block Fitting.jpg

6 hours ago, jfhealey said:

Eamonn - this is superb. I wholeheartedly recommend the Winchelsea as your next build. No way will you be batting too high up the order!

Pour yourself a Guiness - you deserve one.

All the best

Fred

Eamonn I couldn't agree more, I think you'd do a fantastic job with Winnie😊

Ballahoo is coming along beautifully!!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Ahh Thanks Guys, such a nice thing to hear! 😊 .. Sorry for not replying sooner but for some reason I missed your Posts ...  

Over the last couple of days I have been setting up the Gaffs, beginning with the Fore Mast one, locating the Parrel beads and getting the blocks ready.. Oh and almost completely forgetting the Mast Hoops for the Main Mast, bit embarrassing especially after all the effort I put into them.. Don't mind admitting to an 'Oh Poop!' :) :P  moment as I looked at the Main Mast to see if they could still be placed without having to de-construct .. Phew all good as I simply had to lift off the Schooner Stay and slip the Hoops down over the various blocks.. 😌

Whilst doing all this over the past few weeks I thought I'd best show a sample of just how far 'off the reservation' (Or 'Beyond The Pale' if you will, appropriate for where  live which is just outside the actual Pale :) ) I now am by showing a photo of the Ballahoo Box Art Work for the Bow area, which hopefully will give the non Ballahoo Builders an idea of just why I'm sometimes taking so long to do even the simplest stuff.. and having to research practically every Stay etc ... Fundamentally it looks the same but ... the devil is in the detail . :) 

All The Best Folks

Eamonn @ Excuses Excuses Ship Yards :) 

Edit ..  Oh and check out those Anchor Stocks 😕 

Foredeck witht Jib stay.jpg

Original Box Photo 1.jpg

Well Eamonn, the difference is far from subtle, the small things can make the biggest difference.  If I had a chest of drawers, this would be in the top one!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason & Richard ! I'm off now to take a looksie at that Gaff :)

Jason, if you want to see some quality workmanship go take a look at Richards 'Bluenose' and Vice Versa Richard Jasons Rigging is spectacular ! Jeez MSW is a great resource, everyone out there makes you want to Up Your Game and Show You How As Well :) :) 

All The Very Best Folks

Eamonn,  Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants :) 

Hi Gang .. I got the Gaff sorted .. well that was fun.. trying to connect the Parrel, the Gaff Hoist and the Gaff  Topping Lift pretty much at the same time .. Oh The Fun, and how I laughed when the Topping Lift Block on the Gaff itself popped out of its strop.. Am still drying my eyes from that one :) :)   Have to say though, am totally enjoying this part of the build, when the block popped out onto the carpet monster I just took out another  (Chucks wonderful blocks btw) opened out the holes a little and got it back in (spot welded it this time :) :) )

The fore Stay is now resting in its proper place (or nearly so, as the Shrouds will sit under it) and the tweezers is there purely to add weight to the system, to kind of Bed Things In so to speak..

All The Best Folks Thank You For All The Comments And The Likes, Always Appreciated..

Eamonn

Fore Mast Gaff.jpg

Hmmm quick revisit needed to the Mast Block part of the Topping Lift .. I appear to have rove the block through the bottom instead of the top of the block .. Deliberate Mistake Right There 😐😉  LOL

Eamonn

Fixed the Deliberate Mistake .. And the Other one too! (Both Double Blocks on the Mast for the Gaff were wrove through the bottoms..  )  I always try to take a good look at the photos shortly after I post them, potential mistakes not obvious at the time can show up after during a later visit ... Now if I could just get in the habit of checking the photos at the taking stage !! :)   I guess they don't call them Gaffs for nothing :) :) 

E

Fore Mast Gaff.jpg

Ok Folks .. Both Gaffs are completed.. Next Up the Boom :)   (No drama This Time.. Honest :) )

Thanks For Looking In..

Eamonn

Oh, there's a quick Deck Shot thrown in too .. 

Deck Shot.jpg

Main Gaff and Fore Gaff.jpg