Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

Just great... absolutely a great bowsprit. Well done, Popeye.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Ron,  Eric,  and Mark.........I guess the thing to say  should be,  that it's about time I got to rigging this bad girl!   the word from you Eric,  tells me I'm on the right track.  thanks again for that belaying diagram....it's going to come in handy.  I only have a few mins......I am almost out the door for work.   I tried to do this last night,  but I had internet issues in the middle of it.   I have done a bit more to the fore mast,  going with the double blocks for the main yard rigging.

post-612-0-77043800-1372665566_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-95192100-1372665575_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-04813100-1372665586_thumb.jpg

I want to get the fore mast in place........shrouds......fore rigging....more rigging!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

this has been a hot and humid fourth of July........didn't get to do as much as I wanted to do....build wise.  I did manage to make some 3.5 mm hearts though.....not quite that sure that is what you would call them,  but that's the roll they will play in the bow rigging.   just some odds and ends......that's the extent of my playtime.   been too busy flirting with bad luck.........between having to do $400 worth of repairs on our SUV that the warrenty won't cover,  and trashing the self propell in my lawnmower on a curbing........I don't know what's worse......or what the third bit of bad luck will be  {they always com in threes}.    more on this one soon ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I'm sorry Popeye.  Stuff happens.  I feel ya.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

we've had the SUV for a month and a half.........put about 400 miles on it.   I've worked in the automotive field for over 15 years and car in general most of my life........I've always said that warrenties weren't worth a p-hole in a snowbank........proof in the pudding!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, look on the bright side side it could have been $800 dollars worth of repairs! there don't you feel better now :)

The rigging is coming along nicely.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Sorry to hear about your car problems, they really can depress one, but your rigging is looking good, hope that makes you feel better :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Sorry to hear abouttheboutof bad luck.  I'vehad a bit aswell as youmight tell my spacebar is goingout. Atthe very least it will give you funny stories later.  Ship looks greatthough. Good to seetherigging goingup.  

Glad to hear of the spacebar problem Dan.  For a moment I thought you were losing it :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Just caught up with your build Popeye, she looking great, nice work on the bowsprit. :)

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

Nice work :-)

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Glad to hear of the spacebar problem Dan.  For a moment I thought you were losing it :D  :D

We both know I've already lost it.  I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it.   :D

that sounds like the joke about the drunk who stood in front of the judge.   he was told that he was a habitual drinker.........the drunk told the judge that he pleded insanity.........said he was crazy about the stuff!

I had the same problem with my keyboard.......but I think my problems stem from what I do OVER it  :)    the admiral got me a new one....I think she got tired of seeing me bang it on the sliding shelf it sits on.   crumbs........bits of planking.......cookie crumbs....{oh, yea,  I said crumbs already.........that's pretty general}.    then I had the turbo mouse.........could jump two screens with a single click!   really stinks when I want to stop and look at something.   with the words of Gomez Adams........I'm much better now!  :)

I want to thank all of you kind folks!.......you make me smile.   I saw all of your comments this morning,  before I shoved off to work,  where bad luck #3 was waiting for me.   nothing too spectacular......just forgot to set the parking brake in the shop truck,  and it rolled across the yard and into a parked trailer.   no damage to speak of.......except for my 8 year record of no goof-ups.  I see a few new folks have joined in.......glad to have you looking in.  ;)   this is my first wood ship of this type......I"M even hopeing it comes out good  :)

so far,  it just been about the bow and making up some of the parts for it.........I'm not tabling this build again.....if I need something,  I'm going to make it. period!    the 5 mm hearts came out good........and as mentioned,  I now have some 3.5 mm hearts {or eyelets,  if that's what they're called}.   they will do the trick for the bow fore stays.   another update is in the works to be sure........I hope to have it for you soon.   thanks again for your good words... I really appreciate it......;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

You had the third round of bad luck...now you can progress on the Goth without fear!!!  :)   So if it rains.. it's pours.  May good luck now pour on you.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

sorry Mark..........Murphy isn't done with me yet......I took the Toyota Corolla to work today.   I had to stop mid-trip home....the exhaust decided to drop out and I had to do something to keep it from dragging on the road.  good thing I left the bungie cords in the trunk :)

I'm smiling......... :)

not to worry though Mark.........when I can get to the table......nothing will bother me......the Goth will continue!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow Pop, sorry to hear about all the bad luck -   sounds like Murphy has set up camp on your shoulder - you should maybe charge him rent or something!!

Can't go on forever though.. right?  maybe?

=)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

You have my utmost sympathies in your time of Murphy-induced misfortune.... But I have to be honest... The longer you keep him busy at your place.... The longer the rest of us have breathing room against our own personal misfortunes :P

(Provided, of course, he keeps his attentions squarely on your fleet of motor vehicles..... And not your ships... ;) )

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

thanks guys.........there IS a silver lining in all of this......   I can bring it to the junkyard and get as much as $300 bucks for it!    Naaaaa,  that would make my son cry........guess I should fix it .......luckily,  my comscience sits on my other sholder :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, you have me sending you good thoughts as hard as I can.  Hope they get there and kick Murphy's butt.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hello Popeye, ;)

I haven't browsed your build log for quite some time now, as I barely find enough time to insert mine.

Wow - now that is some fine rigging mate - keep it up, you are doing a fine job.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

thanks Augie........Murphy don't scare me......all usually comes clean in the end.   thanks for the thought  :)

I know what you mean Paul......sometimes I get in here and read so much.......I don't get much done at my end.  I need to get through the tinkering I'm doing at the moment.......then I can get something done.  it is nice to be working on her again though ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well........I've managed to repair some of the damage that Murph has done.  the Toyota is as good as new..........nothing a length of pipe and a saws-all couldn't fix  ;)     the smoke is clearing,  but now I seem to be having a bit of a problem with my left ear........plugged up.......can't hardly hear out of it.....WHAT?

I have done a little on the Goth......tying on blocks to the fore mast and starting to get the spirit yards in order.   here is a picture also of the 3.5 eyelets.......or mini hearts.

post-612-0-50711700-1373767019_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-19167700-1373767030_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-25985200-1373767040_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-88705000-1373767049_thumb.jpg

the smaller double blocks under the top are home made.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Andy......as soon as I can muddle through with life's little anoyances........work,  ect,  I hope to make it a bit more interesting.  thanks for the good words  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

Boy are you having a run of bad luck, hang in there mate it wont last long.

Here's a little diddy of an Irishman's Philosophy:-

There are only two things to worry about

Either you are well or you are sick,

If you are well then there' nothing to worry about,

If you are sick, there are only two things to worry about,

Either you will get well or you will die,

If you get well there's nothing to worry about,

If you die, there are only two things to worry about,

Either you will go to heaven or hell,

If you go to heaven there's nothing to worry about,

But if you go to hell, you'll be so damn busy shaking hands with all your friends you wont have time to worry. :D  :D

Keep your pecker up mate. B)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Popeye,

Nice work on the blocks and hearts.   Fiddly little things, aren't they?

Mobbsie,

That's an excellent philosophy which I haven't heard in years.  Thanks for the reminder. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The best thing is... Murphy will get fed up hounding you at some point and go find someone else... hang on in there, you'll soon get through it. Good work on the rigging by the way. :)

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

thanks Mobbsie for that disitation.........I'll have to go 'a drink'in with that guy sometime ;)   did you ever know an Irishman who didn't drink?

your sign-off at the bottom had me rolling!

I mentioned Mark,  that I wasn't going to stop the build anymore,  because of not having certain things........I'll make them!  it is kinda fun figuring out how to do them.   the Goth even has a mouse.....still thinking about that one!  :)

thanks Caroline.......glad to see youre looking in  :)     I'm getting the upper hand....even as we speak!   LOL!    thanks for the good word;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: