Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Piet,

Do what needs to be done to take care of yourself.  We'll be here when you're back. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello everyone and thank you all for your very kind words, well-wishes and prayers, I really appreciate it.  I'm hanging in and keeping a stuff upper lip.  The discomfort is easing considerably and have had no "accidents"  ;)  I regard all yuns in MSW as part of my family!!

Next week Thursday we'll find out how things look inside and go from there.

Tomorrow we can indulge in some good Dutch or Belgian brews - - - hurray, and that's hoera in Dutch  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

I'll also try to spend a few hours in the shipyard to cement a few more deck slats to the deck.  I'm working on the port side now.

@ Marc, Flying Dutchman 2:  Thanks for the compliment and yes, the green is the final color as is the red.  Everything above the deck sheer is light grey and as discussed before the deck slats will be in a teak like color.  Reason being that the green blends in against the tropical forest growth in the former Dutch East Indies and the grey blends in with the sky.  The red color below the waterline tends to become rather dark end blends in with the murky coastal waters.  Also, these are the colors the original builder used for their model.  Remember that this is primarily a mine laying sub and operates mainly areas close to shore.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Glad all is well my friend....time to open a Leffe and relax....Proost

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks to everyone following my build and also my physical condition(s) and your best wishes and prayers.  This Thursday I'll be seeing the doc again and find out what's going on.

Hello Doris, thank you for visiting and your kind words.  Yes, I'll be keeping up with my build, still a lot of work ahead.

Hey John, good to hear from you and I did have a Leffe dark this evening before dinner.  Thanks for thinking about me and your prayers.  I'm patiently waiting for your continuation with your Morgan.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

After many days cementing these small slats to the deck I finally put the last ones on this morning and added dye where needed.  As far as I'm concerned it looks okay, not great but acceptable. Gwen, the Admiral, says it shows character.  

Now I have to make a decision what project I should tackle next.  Hatch hinges?  Torpedo loading gantries?  Mines?  Torpedoes?  Finishing the AA guns?

I guess it'll have to be the hinges.  This'll be slow going - - - I'll be taking my time with this.  Not an easy project  because it's all part of an afterthought.  As mentioned before, I did not plan to make certain things workable but alas, after seeing the model of the O21 I got this wild eyed idea to do something similar.

Okay, I took the model outside and shot a bunch of pictures in front of the garage door.  This time I put the boat on two bricks which made for better pics.  I may not post all of them here - - - just too many - - - I got carried away, again.  Well, I kinda like the model as she looks now  :)  :)  :)

Hope all yuns like them.

post-1399-0-47926000-1393383628_thumb.jpg

Starboard side profile

post-1399-0-64679300-1393383643_thumb.jpg

Top view from the bow

post-1399-0-61723100-1393383667_thumb.jpg

Top view of forward deck from bridge area.

post-1399-0-10791800-1393383703_thumb.jpg

Looking aft along the hull from the bow.

post-1399-0-62237600-1393383923_thumb.jpg

Looking forward along the hull from the stern.

post-1399-0-40003300-1393383940_thumb.jpg

Top view looking forward.

post-1399-0-21607500-1393384187_thumb.jpg

Looking forward directly into the stern

post-1399-0-99077300-1393383949_thumb.jpg

Top view if the deck looking forward.

post-1399-0-13613700-1393383971_thumb.jpg

Looking at the forward deck from the bridge area.

post-1399-0-78935600-1393384064_thumb.jpg

Aft deck view towards the aft side of the con.

post-1399-0-79687800-1393384081_thumb.jpg

Gwen, the Admiral, took this pic to give all y'all an idea of the size of the model.  I'm 5 feet 8 inches tall.

Cheers.

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet

Excellent build. Colors look good together and I like the planking on the deck.

With such a large boat you can build many details.

Thanks for sharing.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Piet,

It just looks amazing.  Wonderfully amazing.  You've put heart and soul into this and it shows. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful! Really a superb job!

This is truly a museum piece, worthy of the fine crew that sailed her.

May I suggest the deck gun for the next 'release'?... 

On a sadder note: the last officer to see the O19 as she was stuck on Ladd Reef with his own eyes, Frank Kimball of the USS Cod, passed away February 20th. 

Groetjes,

Gino

Hello Piet!

That picture of her looking forward directly into the stern it´s absolutely beatiful. And Yes, I did not realize the size of her till I have seen you holding her with your hands... (It also happens to me on models made on 1:24. You are going to need a big case to put it in...

Keep going and my best wishes.

Daniel.

she looks great Piet!   you have created one heck of a model  :)    it's nice to see the person behind it all......good to meet you,  and you really need to get a frame for that last picture!   simply superb!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hope all is well my friend, she looks good. A very good representation....dad is smiling. Best for tomorrow....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Loved your model, Piet. To make your father very proud, if I may say it. So beautiful!!!!!

Thank you all for your very kind words and compliments, it's overwhelming and really encouraging.

@ Marc the Flying Dutchman who doesn't fly  ;) :  Thank you Marc, yes, the colors look great, much different then the usual grey.

@ Remco:  Thank you very much and yup, we both have teeth now  :) but I lack the guns though  ;)

@ Mark T:  Thank you for your kind words.  Yeah, I guess it's a labor of love - - - how else can I show honor to my father, besides having been successful in my various careers.  I am outranking him now so he would be saluting me and calling me sir  ;)  but only in publick though  ;)

@ Joe PZ:  Yup, it sure was / is a great boat.  She served with distinction against the JIN with a great crew.  I'm glad I made her in a large scale.

@ Gino: Thank you Gino for your compliment!  Hmmmm, starting with the deck gun eh?  Didn't think about that one.  I was thinking to get all the deck stuff done first for ease of access but let me think about it.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Frank Gimball.  I would have liked talking with him, not that he knows my father but at least there is a connection.

@ Wacko Joe:  You are most welcome and thanks for liking my efforts.

@ Daniel:  Yes, she is a big model all right and even at this size many things are still difficult to do because it's not big enough.  Go figure.

@ Sjors:  Thank you Sjors and my guess is that old Mister Wilton would get a heart attack when he would see my name  ;)   My father did make their life "less pleasant" when he was assigned as the quality control officer on that sub.  Actually, he cause a real ruckus because of shoddy work that had to be corrected.  

@ Popeye:  Thank you my friend and now you and the rest of my friends know how I look like, except for John Texxn5 - - he and I shook hands and quaffed a Leffe or two.  Oh, I don't know about framing me and the boat, you don't want that old puss on the same pic with this nice looking boat now, do you  ;)

@ Amateur Jan:  Thank you Jan for your compliment!  Hmmm - - - two Leffe's eh - - - and come to think of it i still have a bottle of a very good "jonkie."  yup, I like a jonge but also an ouwe klare and Berendburg!  Can't get that good stuff here  :(   Now everybody will be scratching their heads - - - what are they talking about - - -  :P

@ John (texnn5):  Good to hear from you and thanks for liking the looks of the boat and also thanks for thinking about tomorrow.  I also hope things will look good internally, will let yuns know.

@ Vivian:  Hello Vivian and welcome to my shipyard.  Thank you also for your very kind words and I like to think that my father would be pleased with my efforts.

@ Freek: Thank you Freek.  Props, hmmmm yes, props eh.  I don't know yet, been thinking about it and looking at the empty shafts on and off but have not decided yet when to make them.  So many things still to make and I'm sure she would look more finished with them screws on.  

@ John (Lad):  Thanks John for your compliment, appreciate it very much.

Not to forget Sailor Greg, Hexnut, Augie, Anthony, Andie, Boris and Nenad for dropping in and hitting the like button, thank you all.

I spend this day tidying up my office / studio / man-cave.  The Admiral has been after me to make it look more respectable for when her sister and her husband come to visit next month.  Soooooohhhh - - - I did and it's looking a little better but not yet to her liking.  Hmmmm - - - have to spend some more time on this so mundane work.  But - - - we must try to please the Admiral, makes life so much nicer :)  :)  ;) 

I bid you all a great tomorrow and

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet, the model look very good, it is also great to see you holding her in your hands it is always a treat to see the face behind the build.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

First of all I want to thank all of you visiting and leaving your "like" votes, I really appreciate it.

Hello Anthony, thank you for your very kind words even after having to look at my old ugly puss  ;)

Michael Mott, so nice of you to drop by and your kind words.  Yeah, I also like to see a face behind, on the side or in front of people's work.  Not many do.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I want to mention to all of you on MSW that today, November 27, marks the 72d anniversary of my father's death.  As I have mentioned several times, I think, he was killed this day 72 years ago during the battle of the Java Sea against the Imperial Japanese Naval forces.  One of their long range torpedoes hit his ship where his battle station happen to be.  

I also want to report the findings of the biopsy tests done last week.  I went to see the doc this morning and the verdict is that it is cancer.  However, the good news is that it is not invasive.  We are going to go ahead with a BCG treatment for the next 5 weeks to try and let my own immune system take care of the cancer.  This treatment is not chemo but using radiated bacteria to call my immune system to action in a more aggressive way.

It will cause some discomfort but hey, what are the alternatives?  Plan C is the last resort - - - c for cutting out the bladder - - - I'll be known then as - - - - - the bag-man  :)  :)  ;)  ;)

Soooohhh - - - in the meantime I'll continue with my father's submarine and all y'all have to put up with me  :)  :)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

I think we'll be happy to put with you for a long time. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Beterschap Piet. You will beat this like you did before, besides your way to young and have way too much to do before we let you go ;)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here