Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Piet,

thats a lovely submarine model, very detailed and accurately built, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

the same thing happened to me with a set of decals......{what process do you use Remco} can you simply touch up the '9'...seems to be the only sticky wicket ;) looks great Piet! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello all y'all fellow ship builders and my sincerest thanks to the many who dropped by and visited by dockyard - - and your likes.  

Thanks for the comments folks and your compliments.

@ Dave:  Hmmmm - a mini forge eh, not a bad idea.  At one time I actually wanted to some iron work stuff but building an aircraft repair business blew that to smithereens.  That's one of my 14 certificates, forging, smithing.  No, it's just a piece of brass tubing with a brass rod stuck into it that I bend into a hook form.  Then a small piece of straight brass rod for the bumper, all soldered together and painted.  Duck soup kinda stuff.

@ Pete: Thank yo for your kind words.  You're no slouch yourself in the craftsman business.  No, I have not given it any thought making stuff for others.  Kinda afraid doing it.

@ Remco:  Thank you and now you also know how to fabricate one  ;)

@ Sjors:  How to make a boat hook 101 - - see answer above at Dave.  You are going to need a whole bunch with all the little sloops and dingies.  They used them for all kinds of things.

@ Augie:  Thank you for your kind comments.  Yeah, I enjoy dressing things up but the boat hook was a necessity otherwise i couldn't close the launcher side doors and certainly not a bend up paperclip   ;)  :rolleyes:   I'd love to be able to show the model to more people, somewhere and tell the story about her.

@ Josh:  Thank you and you are always welcome my friend.  Metal working lessons eh.  Never thought about it, it kinda falls in place for me I guess and don't think any more about it, assuming everybody knows how to.  Among my 14 trade certificates I'm also a certificated "tinsmith" or steel sheet metal worker and of course aircraft sheet metal but that's a whole other thing.

@ Nills:  Hello my friend, thanks for dropping in and you very kind words, much appreciated coming from you.  Accurate, I hope so because she's build by using the original building plans.

@ Joe:  Thank you very much Joe for your compliments - - - I don't deserve those high acculades - - -  but love it  :)   All yuns make me blush  :blush:  what I am looking for is the imaginary approval of Adjudant van Warmerdam who saw to it that the original boat met all the specs and quality.

@ Omega:  Thank you too.

@ Popeye:  Well, the main problem is with the mismatch of the grey.   I have no idea how that happened because Remco and I exchanged may photos with the colors.  Could be that some reddish light filtered in from the artificial lights in the garage.  The numbers on the port side are actually too far aft and don't comply with the original photos.  Like I mentioned before, I need to do some playing with it.

Well, that's it for me today.  I had my 5th BCGI treatment this morning and the rest of the day was rather uncomfortable, every 2 to 3 minutes i had to go to the head, which was also painful.  But I'm feeling much better now.  That BCGI cocktail they inject into my bladder makes me also sleepy and tired.  So I took it easy today.

Waiting on the 1 mm brass tubes to make the railings.  Then I can put the antennas up  and hopefully make a start with the dingy.

Y'all have a great modeling day and stay in good health and safe.

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Popeye, I used a white decal film and a color laser printer. 

I'm thinking of trying a different solution to fix the con numbers for Piet.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thanks Piet,

I'll give you my address and you can send me some  :D  :D  :D

No, I have a better idea !

When you are visiting Holland, you can bring them by your self !

I'll take you on a sightseeing tour then.....

Wilton Feyenoord, Vlaardingen .......

Sjors 

Hey Sjors, that's a deal.  Just let me know how many boat hooks you need and what sizes  :)

Hmmmm, sight seeing tour sounds great, can we also stop at Narcis Plein too??  I need to have a photo of number 3 for memory sake. 

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I have six small boats I believe ?

And I know....I still have to make a picture of Narcisplein 3 ...... :(

Before you have finished the sub, You have your picture !

Don't tell me please that you have finished it at the end of next week....

Sjors

Hoi Sjors,  six boats?????  Wow, what makes you rate that high that you can have six boats?  Oh yeah, I almost forgot - - - drum role - - - you are the king of the ratlines!  Well, before we come for a visit you'll let me know how big these boat hooks have to be.  With my luck the security at the airport will confiscate them as dangerous weapons  ;)

I just couldn't resist throwing in that barb about Narcis Plein, you left that one wide open for me, love it  :D  :D and  :P

No, the O19 won't be done yesterday or tomorrow.  Hopefully in the next coming weeks though.  She's very close, just the railings, antennas and flags.  The dingy will have to come when all that's done.  I also nood to make the permanent mounting dock and cover.

Oh yeah, the con numbers too but Remco is "brooding" over that, can you smell the braincells burning????   :rolleyes:  ;)

btw, I love you coppering or coopering as Nenad would say.  Looking good.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello folks,  while Remco is brooding over a solution for the con numbers I futzed with them a little to see if I could apply paint over the off-color grey on the decal.  Not easy to do, they are very slick and the thin paint doen't cover it well.  

I guess it was a good try on my part and could work in a pinch with a lot of extra futz'n.  

I told Remco that I'll be very patient and wait for his brilliant solution.

post-1399-0-18078300-1409266639_thumb.jpg

I sprayed some of the grey into a small cup and used a tiny 00 brush to carefully apply the paint around the numbers.  It took two tries and is still not covering the of-color gray.  Not a very respectable job but not only a feeble mind but also jittery hands.

post-1399-0-95845400-1409266654_thumb.jpg

Here I taped the decal to the con.  The grey matches good and you can see how far off it was when you look at the center of the 9 on the right.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I've had a lot of success in the past painting decal sheets.

Rather than trying to "paint between the lines", start with a blank sheet and paint a section the colour you desire (spray painting is preferred). Seal it with a clear finish like glosscot or dullcote. Then cut out a piece(s) the size and shape you desire. Apply these over the top of the already applied decal with the miss-matched colour. If you have a few spares, cut out the centre of the 9 and use the decal as a template (obviously, you leave the decal on it's backing paper).

It may sound a bit weird (painting decals) but it really works well.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I've done that as well.....I use a decal bonder on mine to lock in the ink jet image. the decal can be painted over though, I've not had any problems doing it. with all the variants of any one color, it's hard to get'em just right. I've tried it.......and scrapped many of my attempts.

if you have another set, take a razor and score the affected area......then when the decal is ready to apply, remove the scored area, and apply. something to try.......maybe?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye and Andy for your helpful hints, that'll be plan C or D.  Right now I'm sitting tight till I hear what Remco has in mind.  When push comes to shove I can send Remco a piece of painted wood so he can scan the color in and take it from there.

I can work with what I have with the "just the black outline" decals Remco has originally send me.  It's close but that only counts in hors shoes ;) 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone,  

I have been busy with other stuff and playing with flag research and trying a few things making them.  I bought the three colors needed in acrylic paint, bright vermilion, white and cobalt blue.  At least that's what the specs call for.

I cut a small piece out of an old worn handkerchief and first coated it with a clear poly urethane and let it dry.  I folded one one end over to reinforce it for the flag tackle.  I used clear nail polish for this which worked fine, after holding it till the nail polish had dried.

I only diluted the paint a little and it went on quite nicely.  Did the white first, let it cure and then the colors, one after the other had cured.  I did mask the white first though.

It's a little crude and need to be more careful with the masking but by doing this on a trial basis we'll find out what not to do and how to do it better.

I should have no problem with the actual Ensign or National flag but when it comes to the Jack I may have to make several or many before I have one that's acceptable. 

That brings up a question.  According to the official Dutch flag info I have, the Dutch Naval Jack has quite a few fields in red, white and blue that radiate out from the center.  This is what maks it so difficult to paint.  The black and white photo I have of the O19 in Alexandria, Egypt, in 1939 when she was on the way to the Netherlands East Indies, the jack seems to be more like the civilian jack.  It's hard to see on the photo but the colors on the corners seem to be the same.  However, red and blue will most likely look the same on a black and white photo.  

It would be easier of course to use the civilian jack but - - - that would not be correct and cheating.  Oh well, all I can do is the best I can and let my artistic painting ability come through.

Do any of the Dutch members have the flag dimensions?  That too needs to be accurate.  The jack looks like a 4 X 5 ratio.

In the meantime I'm still waiting for the 1 mm tubing for the railing.  No mail today due to Labor day.  Hopefully tomorrow but I won't be in the garage then, I'll have my last BCGI treatment and be rather miserable with it for the rest of the day.

Well, here are a few pics of my first trial.  I know, it's not the greatest and it's not long enough but it's just a trial piece.

post-1399-0-80742400-1409624184_thumb.jpg

This shows the ensign in a straight on shot.  Yes, it's a little short and a bit to wide.  It's just to get an idea how it'll look.

post-1399-0-22874500-1409624131_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-95616700-1409624198_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-64395200-1409624213_thumb.jpg

Here is a copy of the photo of the O19 in Alexandria, Egypt, in 1939.  Yes, my father was on board then and told us some great stories of his visit.  You can clearly see the jack with the dark colored corners.

post-1399-0-92518400-1409624243.gif

This is a picture of the Dutch Naval Ensign or National flag.

post-1399-0-89678200-1409624334.gif

This is the official KM (Koninklijke Marine - Royal Navy) jack called the "Geus" or "Dubbele Prinsen Geus."  You can see how difficult this'll be to paint.  

post-1399-0-50985200-1409624354.gif

This is a picture of the civilian jack.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Interesting Piet, I did not know the Royal Dutch Navy had a different flag than our national flag, learning something every time here in your build log.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

I have to agree with Remco.

I don't know it also.

But with your skills it should be that difficult to make one ?

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

yea.......piece of cake! just don't look in the center when your painting it :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Piet,

I found this one:

De geus:
1º. de geus is een rechthoekige vlag, waarvan de lengte zich verhoudt tot de breedte als 3:2, verdeeld in sectoren in de kleur van de koninkrijksvlag;
2º. de geus wordt uitsluitend door oorlogsschepen in dienst gevoerd en wel aan de geusstok;
3º. zij voeren de geus alleen wanneer zij in een haven of op een rede gemeerd of ten anker liggen

For the non-dutch (freely translated): The Jack,

1 The jack is a rectangular shaped flag, of which the length comapres to its breadth as 3:2, divided in sectors in the color of the Royal flag.

2 the jack is only flown on warships that are in-service on the jack mast.

3 they only fly the jack when in harbor, outside the harbor moored, or anchored.

Groetjes

Thank you all for visiting and your likes and comments.

Today was my last BCGI treatment and it threw me for a loop, for some reason.  Hope I'll have a restful night but expect having to get out of bed every hour or so, not much rest.  I'm due a biopsy in 6 weeks, till then things'll be just fine.

Hoi Remco, actually I never thought about the KM having a different flag then the Dutch national flag.  I always thought them to be the same.

And hoi Sjors, hmmm, you think they are different too?  I guess I'll have look into it like I did with the Geus.

You folks seem to have more confidence in my abilities then I do, but thanks for encouraging me, I'll try my best.

Hi Popeye, easy for you to say "piece of cake," you don't have to make one ;)   But, like I mentioned to Sjors, I'll do my best.  Don't want to disappoint all yuns.

Hello Gino, thanks for looking up the dimensions and explanation.  There is quite some history attached to that word "Geus."  When I read some of the history I remembered a few things from my school years in Holland.  My model being at a simulated mooring I'll add the Geus to it.  Hey, I have the time and can male flags at my leisure till the cows come home.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Gosh Piet,

Your log has reached page 100! A volume packed with all sorts of interesting goodies.

Give the medics the run around and look after yourself.  ;)  :)

Edited by ianmajor

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thanks everyone for dropping in and your likes.

Hey Ian, great to "see" you again.  Interesting goodies eh.  Well, I try add a few extra things in here and there.  Thank you for your interest but what else can I expect from a submariner!  You'r also doing great with your model!

Yeah, 100 pages in my log, who would have thunk it, eh?  I'll do my best with the run around thing.  It's the nurses I need to be careful with. I can still run faster then they do and when I catch one then I don't know what to with them  B)  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I took today off.  After a much interrupted night's sleep I slept in till 9 this morning, which felt really good.  Everything is back to normal and I feel great.  I made lasagna and a peculiar ground beef roll, stuffed with leek.  It's in the fridge and I'll fry them tomorrow on medium heat in butter with olive oil.  

I was hoping for my order of 1 mm brass tubing to arrive in the mail but no such luck.  Thus - - - tomorrow I'll start doing some serious flag work.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet, I know the feeling , , After the Camping trip it's been a bit hard to get back to work , and around here Fall fell hard, It only got into the 60's yesterday , it's suppose to be nice by the weekend , I am going to make the main for the Volvo today. your Sub looks Amazing , Just incredible work my Friend

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks again everyone for dropping in and your likes and commiserating with me.

Hello Pete, thanks for your compliments, it's much appreciated.  Temps here in Palm Coast are still around 90 F, but I love it.  

I actually did some work on the O19, just damp ironed the hanky for the flag material and sprayed clear poly on it to stiffen the cloth so I start painting flags.  I cut out a few pieces and am ready to apply paint.  I need to think how to simulate a light breeze in them. 

The 1 mm brass tubes also arrived in the mail and can start on the railings.  That'll be a fun project, a lot of soldering to attach the end caps.  I plan to run the railing cable through them.

My happy dilemma is what to do first or do a Popeye, do both together.  Work on one in the morning and the other in de afternoon.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

how ever you do it Piet.........I'm sure they will come out great! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello everyone, hope all y'all are doing fine.

Last evening I tried to add a post with a few pics but the confuser didn't let me.  So, this morning I tried again and wonders will never cease, it let's me write a short post.

In any case, I made all three flags for the O19 but am not happy with the way they look.  Even though the hanky cloth is fine it's not fine enough for my scale and the paint job is terrible.  The demarkation lines are not crisp and they are difficult to shape because they are very stiff.   I'll make a trip to Jo-Ann's fabric store in Daytona Beach to see if they have a VERY fine weave cloth - - - whenever Gwen and I need to go there.  It may be soon because I most likely need to see the computer geeks there at BestBuy.  The flags can wait for now.

I may wind up making them from paper, who knows. 

Soooooohhh, I'll proceed with making the railing stanchions and try to post a few progress report pics.  

Here are the pics of the flags so you can see why I'm not in the least happy with them.  

post-1399-0-11044200-1410185866_thumb.jpg

Here you can see what I mean, the warp and weave does'n allow me to make crisp lines and in many places it doesn't fill the holes with paint.  If I add more paint then te flags will become as stiff as a plank.  I did touch them up a little more after these pics were taken.  I need to review how Doris does her flags and see if I can mimic hers.  

post-1399-0-18531300-1410185891_thumb.jpg

The "Dubbele Prinsen Geus" at the bow.

post-1399-0-94183700-1410185900_thumb.jpg

The main ensign aft of the conning tower.

post-1399-0-84840100-1410185912_thumb.jpg

The stern flag.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Nice work.   For flags... there's also silkspan and good old printer paper.  I'm partial to silkspan myself.   Have you searched online?  There's several companies that do miniature flags.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Jan and Mark for your suggestions.  

It was worth a try to see how the flags would come out using a worn out hanky.  In real life they don't look half bad but they are still not satisfactory to me.  It was kinda for killing time waiting for the brass tubing for the railing stanchions, at least it kept me busy.

I have no idea if decals will stick to cloth Jan but I doubt it tough.  Decals on metal foil would work.  I have some very thin brass shim stock.  Now comes the problem, can I print decals to start with and then with an inkjet printer.  I am no computer hero  :(  :rolleyes:    It's a thought I can ponder on.  Like I mentioned, I'm not yet in any particular hurry with it.

Thanks Mark, not too bad for hand painted flags.  I'll look into silkspan as well.  Problem is that I only need a few square inches and am not sure what the minimum purchase requirement is.   Paper seems to be the easiest route to go if I want to make my own flags.  Yes, I have found a website that sells flags except for the geus.  But, as I mentioned some time ago and being a stubborn Dutchman, I really like to make everything myself or through the hands of friends, rather then a faceless store.  This is not an ordinary model.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet, Your flags look to be a real challenge, What if you gave the fabric a wash with dilute white glue, let it dry and then did the painting?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who visited and your like votes, its much appreciated.

Between mowing the lawn and some other chores around the house I managed to spend some time on the O19.  The first thing I did was remove the number 19 from the port side of the conning tower in preparation for another decal.  I'm just playing with it mind you.  The decals I had left over and painted a few weeks ago I doctored them up a little more and thought to replace the port one.  It doesn't look al that bad, at least it's better then the one that was on there.  The photo shows that I could put a little more grey pain on the area to the left of the 1.

Next I cut 60 railing stanchions out of the 1 mm brass tubing.  Then I filed "fishmouths" in one end so I can solder small pieces of tubing to them to lead the railing cable through them.  That'll be a challenging job.  I have to make a holding jig so these small pieces don't blow away when I'm soldering.

Here are a few pics of my efforts for today.

post-1399-0-33974500-1410224707_thumb.jpg

This is the spare decal I had left over and prepped a few weeks ago and replaced it for the one I attached to the con some time ago.  It looks a lot better and with some additional grey paint not too bad.  I also played with the one on the starboard side.  For now I leave it as is and wait for a better solution.

post-1399-0-46287400-1410224729_thumb.jpg

This shows the 58 stanchions for the railing.  They are 1 mm in diameter and 28 mm long.  I filed "fishmouths" into one end on all of them.  Actually, I made a few extras.  Filing fishmouths in all 58 of them???  Okay, I cheated, I have a tiny diamond covered rotary file that's "lozenge" shaped and then I spread them out a little with my large rib-stitching needle.  That thing comes in handy so once in a while.  

post-1399-0-86903600-1410224737_thumb.jpg

This shows the fishmouths a little better.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra