Sovereign of the Seas 1637 by modelshipwright (Bill Short) - Sergal - 1:78 - Port "as built", Starboard "as presented to King Charles I for approval"

Thanks for your comments Greg. It is a bit of an on again - off again process with me and what you see is basically where the model stands at this point.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Bill, there must be a better word for an amazing talent you have...I know, let's call it Billiant. Well done. Keep the photos coming please.

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Bill.

its a pleausure to visit this build log, a wonderful representative of modeling art indeed. Thans very much for sharing this....

I like all those carvings, they look fantastic

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 months later...

Third time through this amazing build.... Learned something new each time. This is a serious study in excellence. Thank you Bill. I too am looking forward to your next posting.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

The Coat of arms is now complete and the additional small faces on each side have been added.

post-2916-0-30288400-1425388177_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Bill

Edited by modelshipwright

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

The four spaces adjacent to the coat of arms should be two wide spaces so I removed the dividers in the middle of each space. I then carve another mythical creature with a rider on his back to fill the left hand space.

post-2916-0-45466400-1425389888_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Bill

G'day Bill

Glad to see you are back....we all miss you log. As normal your carvings are out of this world!

Thanks for showing us more.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

The beginnings of the carving for the right side of the coat of arms. Still looking quite rough.

post-2916-0-17598500-1425391108_thumb.jpg

Great to see you back and posting again Bill. Just love drooling over your exquisite work!

WoW !! Just WoW !! 

Thank you for your work, Bill.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks.

Regards,

Bill

• 1 year later...

The following photos look at preparation of the fore deck and the bulkhead against that deck for the placement of rails.  At the top of the bulkhead a capping trim was formed and glued in place.

post-2916-0-12641000-1458218780_thumb.jpg

post-2916-0-14898100-1458218713_thumb.jpg

The next few photos show of the progress of rails that will surround the fore deck. Also shown is the Temco Template former used to copy the profile of the shape of the front of the fore deck.

post-2916-0-89995200-1458218842_thumb.jpg

More to follow..................

Bill,

Just catching up. Yes beautiful work indeed.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Bill,

Just catching up. Yes beautiful work indeed.

Michael

Thanks Michael.

Regards,

Bill

This photo shows the assembly of the stanchions to the front part of the fore deck rail.

post-2916-0-41840700-1458236925_thumb.jpg

More to follow.............

The port and starboard fore deck rails are mounted and the next step is to fit and mount the front rail seen sitting loosely on the deck surface.

post-2916-0-79697900-1458240458_thumb.jpg

More to follow..............

Bill....it is so great to see you back at the bench. Can't begin to tell you how often I refer to your photos .... Even as of today, as I am working on the transom sculptures.

Beautiful job on the bulkhead and rails.

I do look forward to your next postings.

Thanks again.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Ahh... Nothing like the smell of sawdust and yellow wood glue in the morning, eh?  Perks ya right up.

As does seeing sawdust and wood glue in the morning if we can't get into the shop right away.   ;)   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bill....it is so great to see you back at the bench. Can't begin to tell you how often I refer to your photos .... Even as of today, as I am working on the transom sculptures.

Beautiful job on the bulkhead and rails.

I do look forward to your next postings.

Thanks again.

Dave

I sure wish I had your talent!

Vince P. :dancetl6:

Thanks for your comments. They are really appreciated.

I had been meaning to cap the railing to the poop deck a long time ago and finally made the capping rail piece from boxwood and assembled it. it is about 1 mm wide and 0.5 mm thick. It was shaped using my soldering iron fitted with a brass tip I made specially for bending wood strips. The cap adds a nice finishing touch and blends nice with the stairway railings.

post-2916-0-81031600-1458301883_thumb.jpg

More to follow............

Simple brilliant! I wsh I can express myself better, but my mind is still numb with that Incrediblywow details in that last photo!

goodonya Vince

Greg

Bill.... Beautiful bulkheads.

I am confused by the different configurations of the three weather deck bulkheads.  Some models I found were straight, as in your case, while others have three radius shapes.... which I went with.
I would be interested in your comments on this design difference.... too late for me to change at this point.

Thanks

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Bill.... Beautiful bulkheads.

I am confused by the different configurations of the three weather deck bulkheads.  Some models I found were straight, as in your case, while others have three radius shapes.... which I went with.

I would be interested in your comments on this design difference.... too late for me to change at this point.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

To explain it better I have included partial pics of the three main references I am using to build my model. First the Payne Engraving. It shows the deck bulkheads from fore to aft and I think the poop deck bulkhead is rather straight with just a gentle curve. The rest of the bulkheads have the three rounded portions in each.

post-2916-0-39391300-1458330519_thumb.jpg

Next is the Van de Velde sketch showing a rather similar view. This also shows the poop deck with a gentle curve and the rest with three curved sections.

post-2916-0-92841400-1458330532_thumb.jpg

The last is the starboard side depiction credited to Peter Pett and it shows the configuration as presented to King Charles I. The decks all appear to be slightly curved with none of the triple dimple affects.

post-2916-0-07257300-1458330641_thumb.jpg

Finally, here is a shot of my model from a similar angle showing the decks in question.

post-2916-0-86365100-1458331734_thumb.jpg

My model is a conglomeration of all these paintings and in the case of the bulkheads, I have followed The Payne and Van de Velde depictions. My assumption is the the Pett painting was presented to Charles and he ordered changes which resulted in the depictions of Payne and Van de Velde which were done when the ship was near completion or completed.

As I have previously noted in this thread, there are no plans for this ship and all we have to go on is the paintings sketches and engravings of the time for reference. This means that we are depending on the eye of the artist and what he saw when he created the depiction.

I hope that explains it.

Regards,

Bill