Oops!  Missed the 'Britannia in the list!  Besides, my brother-in-law lives in Fort William, so still south! :)

John

Hi John,

Would have loved to do more but the only ship 'up north' (by UK standards - as all are up north from Melbourne) was the Britannia (thanks Keith).  I think I may have had my leave cancelled if I had sounded out the Admiral to do more :)  As it was she was having 'kittens' by my wanting to climb the rigging on the SS Great Britain.  There was a chance to do it (for a fee) but unfortunately the activity had closed by the time the tour had finished :( 

I did have Chatham on my list but time ran out unfortunately.  I was told it is undergoing a major refurbishment and that it will be a much better visit in the future - so there's my excuse to go back ;) :)

cheers

Pat

5 hours ago, BANYAN said:

it will be a much better visit in the future - so there's my excuse to go back

Maybe a UK meeting for Europe once finished ...

Hi Carl,

If I get the chance to go back I will certainly allow a couple of days to catch upu with a few MSW members :)  The last trip was just too hectic with a lot compressed into a very short time..

John, there is also the Titanic experience in Belfast (I think).

cheers

Pat

You've got the time, a leisurly pace would be nice ... on the other hand, you did see Victory, and other ships which I still have to visit!

Hi folks, another quick update.  I have been side tracked with research of late but have managed to make a start on the broadside guns.  These were 32 pounder 25 cwt guns to the Dundas pattern, mounted on rear-chock carriages.  As usual close ups show more dust, lumps etc than to the naked eye, so I am going to have to clean them up a little more yet :(

As you can see these are small at 1:72, only 22 x 12mm at the widest, and the prototype  is a rough 3D print barrel.  The ones I will fit will be printed to a much higher fidelity and include the sights and gunlock - won't be as 'rough'.  The prototype was used to ensure it fitted the ports etc correctly, and work out a way to run the production line.  The rear worm drive elevating mechanism still has to have the handle added and the striker plate on the chooch will be a little more refined.

The production version wheels are only dry fitted as I am still trying to determine whether to blacken the outer hub.  the photo I am using as a reference (of the actual ship's gun) and contemporary information suggest these, and the wheel rims /rollers were made from gunmetal and not iron.  They just seem a little too bright but my attempts to dull them have produced inconsistent results - I may just live with them :)

458144683_BroadsideCanonPrototype.thumb.JPG.93b72ffdde1699ed93476d3230c06167.JPG

449252325_BroadsideCanonSide.thumb.JPG.60f73d21e7d9bf118f7dce1593e8118e.JPG

449847181_BroadsideCanonFrontandBack.thumb.JPG.5df3761f9ab6cf380b82ddf5b5e4dbc9.JPG

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks Ed, Rob and Keith, appreciate the feedback from such fine model builders.  Six carriages now made, just waiting for some PE and the barrels.  I have made a start on the gun tackles - ugh!  Talk about a frustrating task with 2.5mm blocks and 2mm hooks - one down only 11 to go :(  

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks Tony, you made my day with your comment re local history; exactly what I am trying to achieve here - preserve the history of this ship :)  and, thanks also for the 'kudos'.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Rob, not too far off.  I have been sidetracked with a lot of research on the rigging, getting the "honey please do and Christmas to do lists done and... :)  You get the idea I think too many things to do and not enough hours.  I am currently working on completing the broadside guns.

Thanks for looking in.

cheers

Pat