IJN Musashi by cog - Tamiya - 1:350 - PLASTIC - old tool

The new AOTS (Anatomy of the Ship) takes another month before it is printed (shipping as from 9th March next) In the mean time I have been studying the old version of the AOTS, specifically the funnel

C14/6 is a view at the funnel in C14/2 at the x'ses. The red lines are the different parts of the baffles in the funnel. I'll be having a ball ...

post-33-0-16781000-1485984006_thumb.jpg

Now that I look at the drawings of the funnel, it should be more "substantial" rather than slim ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice going Carl, your work looks exceptional.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice detailing there Carl' will look really good when all is brought together.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Is this PE envy I see ;):)

cheers

Pat

Just amazing, Carl.  Your work is way beyond my pay grade.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice going Carl, your work looks exceptional.

Cheers,

Thanks Piet. Nice of you to pass by, considering your busy schedule. Give my regards to Gwen!

Nice detailing there Carl' will look really good when all is brought together.

cheers

Pat

Hello Pat,

To think it will look even better if I get it on right. These are the larger pieces, some fiddly bits to come, like the windows for the admiral's bridge. One thing is certain, you really need to look forward, and not put everything on at once, for you'll get yourself into trouble. The Fly Hawk PE's manual is a bit hard to read, and not always a practical sequence

That's one of the pieces I would have liked to use on the new tool. Nice.

Evening Greg,

Which one, the top item?

Just amazing, Carl.  Your work is way beyond my pay grade.

Mark,

I could say that about your Licorne too. Don't tell but what you see is 5 hours toll ... it takes a lot of time to get things done with PE at this scale, I wonder how some of those blokes manage at even smaller scales!!

Edited by cog

Carl

Nice one Pat,

With PE it seems not to be "yours is bigger :angry: " but "you've got sometin' I don't, an' I wannit" ;)

To be honest, there are some improvements on the tool of Greg's kit, I would like to see in my kit ...

Edited by cog

Carl

Super fine work going on here could do with a new smiley saying  "super fine detail going on here" :) :) :)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Actually manage to do something today. Not much folding but a little bit of this, and a little bit of that ...

post-33-0-32688600-1486502663_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-26103700-1486502668_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-54661900-1486502671_thumb.jpg

Neither the tower, nor the funnel are glued yet

I'll try to get some better pictures with daylight tomorrow

Edited by cog

Carl

Slowly but surely will get you there!

cheers

Pat

for sure!  you don't want to rush....major boo boos happen that-a-way ;)   looking good

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pat, Denis,

You are so right, I certainly do not want to make boo boos wit the PE, although I do have a CA solvent solution, I do not know what the result will be when I need to remove a PE part from the plastic. I might end up with a Musashi plastic puddle ;)

I make some pictures from my very limited accomplishments last week, this afternoon.

Cheers

Carl

Thanks Greg, but I feel the novice once again. It has been over 40 years since I build a ship of plastic, and in this size ... it is my first.

As promised, some better pictures, at least light-wise, still need to improve the depth of focus.

post-33-0-63844900-1486811320_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-94733000-1486811327_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-20643700-1486811335_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-70356500-1486811342_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-25951500-1486811350_thumb.jpg

Carl

New and improved formula ;) I got my studio tripod out, increased iso to 800, set f-stop at 20, et voilà

post-33-0-05196600-1486812411_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-91637200-1486812419_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-80298400-1486812428_thumb.jpgpost-33-0-92433400-1486812437_thumb.jpg

if you look good, you see the front is perforated :blink::o

post-33-0-28888400-1486812402_thumb.jpg

or slightly easier on the eyes ...

post-33-0-66897000-1486812708_thumb.jpg

Carl

What the heck is it, Carl? :huh:

Your pictures of your progress look very good. :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, Ken. It means I cannot take pictures after dark, as I do not have the proper lighting - like Geatan - I'm saving up for a reasonable flash, and a lightbox.

I presume you want to know what the tiny little perforated thing-a-me-jig is. As far as I could make up out of the drawings, AotS and some other papers, it should be a range finder. I have to say that the detail of some of the brass parts are really astonishing.

It is a strange experience to put so much time in such tiny items. One would expect it to go faster.

Carl

Carl, my workshop is in the basement - very narrow windows - no much daylight - so I use one of those accordian arm desk lamps with a 75 watt LED bulb rated for daylight (5000 K). Provides plenty of light for even hand-held photos at ISO 400-800 at f/8.

Brian, looking good. I dont know how you and Greg do it, my head would have exploded already.

Try a piece of white poster board with your subject between it and the window, you will be surprised how much light will get reflected back into the shadows. Something I need to do more often myself of when I take pictures in my work room.

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Jack, F8 is nice, but I can't get the depth of focus I need at that f-stop. It gets to blurry to quick with the distance I have to the object. Besides that I need to get the iso down, as the pictures get to grainy. Idealy it should be 50 - 100

Edited by cog

Carl

Roger that on the depth of focus - my Canon won't go smaller that F8  - the Pentax will go much smaller.  Yeah, ISO 50-100 is generally what I choose when shooting film but haven't "seen" any graininess in the digital so far. Might if I enlarge it a lot but for posting here it's okay.