Bismarck by Channell - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Thats better  - I can see them now  - Superb detail.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

It's great to see you back with the Bissy. Looking super nice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

glad your back! :)   she's still look'in super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks all! been on a rampage these past few days on Bismarck... got the flak guns installed, railings up on level 2 of the superstructure and marathoned 6 more tiny Veteran Models AA guns. Damn those things are a nightmare. Also got some Veteran Models ammo boxes cleaned up, painted and ready to go.  

20210302_194528.jpg

20210302_153835.jpg

20210302_161720.jpg

20210302_195751.jpg

Loving it  - all that detail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

This build is incredible, thanks for sharing!  Last summer I purchased this kit with the Pontos sets from a fellow modeler who I think was a bit overwhelmed by everything (the box itself will scare off most).  The Pontos sets look absolutely fantastic, but now that I'm seeing your build, I think I might look into getting some of the Veteran aftermarket.  Those guns are amazing!  Might need to put the family on a ramen noodle diet for the next three months to be able to afford them...small price for them to pay, right?

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Get out your reading glasses, or better yet invest in an electron microscope for the Veteran Models small caliber guns. I have a couple of their 1.1" guns and I have my doubts if they can even be built!:stunned:

My kids actually prefer Ramen!:blink: 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Douse 'em in hot sauce and they may be edible. 😉😁 Well, it seems to work down here in the Southeast. Hot sauce is de riguer in many luncheonettes around here. I'm not a user, except in Mexican restaurants. I think all the sweet iced tea they drink does something to their tastebuds.

More on topic, the Bissy has been a fave since I saw the movie way back when, but I think Scharnhorst has almost a similar cachet for me. I like the job you've done so far, Channell. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks everyone! Working on this thing has been (and continues to be) an odyssey, that's for sure. No way I'm adding up how much I paid for all the stuff in this thread... I think it might drive me to tears. At least it's all paid for, provided I don't buy anything else for it (which seems unlikely) :piratetongueor4:

Made some good progress over the weekend... got the conning tower set up complete with scratched out open "safe doors" (something I wanted to do after seeing it on the wreck) as well as getting quite a bit done on the Admiral's Bridge. Still tons of detail to go on the Admiral's bridge but at least the main modifications are done. I also had to throw in an eye candy shot of those Veteran Model Flak guns... so cool looking!  :P

20210307_184956.jpg

20210308_102525.jpg

20210308_161308.jpg

20210308_161308.jpg

20210308_161255.jpg

20210307_184816.jpg

On 11/11/2018 at 9:22 PM, channell said:

Thanks!

There is an insane amount of PE on this build, more than I've ever attempted before but it seems to be going well so far. I've honestly been having a good time working on Bissy over these past few months, guess that's what matters most! 

My Hood build has been on ice for a couple years now and is an equally monster project as the Bismarck but I got bogged down on the build and just wasn't "feeling it" at the time. I figured it was better to wait until the "right time" came to pick it up again... and it will, just like my "Bismarck Madness" came back after a few years. 

These superdetailed 1/200 warships are not easy projects to see through to the end... hopefully I'm getting old and mature enough now to actually get a few of 'em finished instead  of just flitting around between overly ambitious and overwhelming projects...

I feel your pain!

Cheers,  Tom

11 hours ago, uncarina said:

Just catching up with this wonderful thread, and It is very impressive! I’m working on the 1/200 HMS Rodney, also a very long term build. Your work really makes me want to get back to it!

Cheers,  Tom

I wish I had a magic pill or something that would restore my enthusiasm for working on these monsters when I get burned out on them... they make awesome models, especially when you throw the aftermarket stuff at them. They can get so overwhelming easy though!

I did the Nelson, have a Rodney in the stash too. The world needs more models of the "Pair 'o Boots"... just really unusual and cool ships!

20 minutes ago, uncarina said:

Very cool! Is your Nelson posted online? Writing of unusual ships, I really wish Trumpeter would release the HMS Abercrombie and Roberts in 1/200. Model on!

Cheers,  Tom

Not anymore but I put a couple pics on post #43 of this thread. 

Personally, I'd love to see a 1/200 King George V or HMS Vanguard... if we can get Neslon and Rodney, why not? Some smaller 1/200 ships would also be nice to add to the fleet. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, channell said:

Not anymore but I put a couple pics on post #43 of this thread. 

Personally, I'd love to see a 1/200 King George V or HMS Vanguard... if we can get Neslon and Rodney, why not? Some smaller 1/200 ships would also be nice to add to the fleet. :rolleyes:

1/200  Vanguard  (Britains Last  BB Ship)   would be awsome,  the scale one in the museum in London is amazing.

Superb work you are doing by the way.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

15 hours ago, shipman said:

Like the rest of the ship model collection, the magnificent builders model of HMS Vanguard has disappeared from the London Science Museum.

That is Seriously  Sad news,   I was just a kid when I saw that Fantastic model  there, on one of my first trips to London - it was the reason I got Into model ship building  from a very  yound age   - something like 7-8  and I built my first Airfix  kit  of HMS Devonshire.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

8 hours ago, shipman said:

Channell, enjoying your build of this handsome, pugnacious subject.

Strange how this one trip ship captures the imagination, even today.

I wonder why Bismarck is so famous even now myself. She (yes Bismarck is a she, still not letting 'effing Nazis change nautical tradition! <_<) was a really attractive and impressive looking ship but she wasn't the unstoppable technological terror she was made out to be and is certainly more legend than reality these days. 

Maybe because the wreck has been explored and is recognizable, not a pile of twisted metal on the seabed like virtually every other large warship sunk in battle? Because of what she did to the Hood? Because Bismarck has moved into the realm of pop-culture?  I don't know but honestly I'm glad the story of the Bismarck is still alive in this cancel-culture obsessed world. Real men fought and died for crazy things and the story of Bismarck (and WW2 itself for that matter) holds many important lessons to learn for today and future generations. 

For me, this kit has it's own meaning... I've been trying to do this model off and on since November of 2012 and it was only my second big battleship attempt since coming back to scale models as an adult after the Arizona. My "model career" online really began with this kit and it's only the second kit I attempted to go crazy on detail-wise. Even though I suck at actually finishing these things (only have the Nelson under my belt for 1/200 ships) I think I've come a long way in my abilities and it's fun for me to go back to the beginning of this thread vs where I am now and see how I've progressed. 

It's more than just a hobby to build the Bismarck for me  anyway... it's a oddysey, an obsession... something I just *have* to do  "because it's there" :bird-vi:.  Might even get a bit misty-eyed when it's done in another 10 years or so! 

Edited by channell

Some may think warships of this era are bland and colourless, generally being, well, 'battleship grey'. I admire the finish on your model, which is fine and consistent.

One of my grandfathers was a cook in the merchant navy throughout WW2, living what must have been a charmed life, crossing the Atlantic umpteen times. Strange, he never talked about it.

My other grandfather was not so lucky. His ship, the aircraft carrier 'Courageous' was sunk by a U-boat in the first week of the 'Phony War' and went down with over 500 of his shipmates; leaving a wife and five kids traumatised for the rest of their lives.

He still has the dubious record for being the oldest Royal Marine (RNR) to be 'killed in action'.

• 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Bismarck by Channell - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC