Bismarck by Channell - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

On another model I really struggled with cutting out rectangular windows in that I couldn't get something small enough to sand the edges. May I ask how did you achieve this? 

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

1 hour ago, Richmond said:

On another model I really struggled with cutting out rectangular windows in that I couldn't get something small enough to sand the edges. May I ask how did you achieve this? 

Those are the kit molded windows ground out from behind... I grind out all the plastic minus the "frame" while being careful to not melt the plastic or go all the way through to the exterior bulkhead. Makes for neat looking open windows and you don't have to sand the edges at all.

11 hours ago, Richmond said:

Thanks - 'Ground' seems you are more than drilling - if so what are using to grind? as if you used drill bits to complete wouldn't the finish be uneven?

I'm not drilling them at all; I use various globe/egg-shaped cutting bits with the dremmel.  I get an even thickness by holding the pieces in front of a light... after a certain depth is achieved, the thinner the plastic the more light comes through it and you can use that to judge how deep you are cutting. With a little bit of practice, it becomes fairly simple to thin the bulkhead from behind enough to open the windows/portholes and get a very thin/even "frame". 

Edited by channell

Thank you for the clarification - wish I had seen this before I stuffed up my trawler build and had to purchase another kit! Irrespective as CDW remarks this seems a delicate operation requiring great skill.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

• 2 months later...

Not much time in my world for the Bismarck lately  but slow progress is still being made:

k1J0VJL.jpg

4bLove5.jpg

I was going to use the conning tower off my old kit but I ended up reworking the new one instead... I want to show the the conning tower with the thick "bank vault" doors open and they just didn't work out all that well on the old one. I also got the PE and paint on the bridge and next layer up as I work my toward the top of the forward superstructure "wedding cake" 

Since I had the airbrush out also I hit the couple of the Veteran Models AA guns I had previously built... these things are the definition of detail insanity! 

u75hot7.jpg

well.......what you did get to looks super!  I tried doing a gun like that since I have the Hood PE.......first one junk..........two more to go ;)   hope you see yourself finding more time soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

d8J4bTu.jpg

This thread isn't dead yet... despite going since 2013 without a finished Bissy to show for it.  😅

I've noticed I tend to do the most work on my ships from September to January so maybe I'll make some good progress in the next few months... then again, who knows? I'm not gonna try to force it, just take my time and let the build take it's course. This is a hobby after all!

Anyway, some new progress to report; I assembled the aircraft catapults and did a bunch of small touch-up work. 

9ZfoALQ.jpg

Bn8e13I.jpg

6IIARQu.jpg

hWMKDkq.jpg

rhkouib.jpg

I'm generally leaning towards abandoning the instruction order (which would have me working on the forward/aft decks) and working on the lower levels of the superstructure and upwards from there. Anyway, I'll post more progress when I have more to show!  

• 2 months later...

Hi again everyone... did a quick youtube vid with some more progress:

Moving at a glacial pace but still moving! I ended up repainting the bridge section as it appeared to be off on color compared to the rest of the superstructure and the black "baseboard" paint was a bit sloppier than I liked; I also had to repaint the "wooden" grates on the deck around and above the bridge as I could not get the colors to match between the two (I only painted the lower grating at first). Don't know if I was stiffed a PE fret or somehow lost it but it turns out I don't have the fret that has the upper grate and most of the hose reels so I substituted in the grate from the Eduard set that I still had from my first build. Luckily I have hose reels from the KA set so I don't need to chase down a replacement fret. 

Anyway, I'm expecting more free time to come into my life over the next few months and am trying to get myself psyched to make some good progress. 

Edited by channell

good to see your progress......look'in really good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great video, nice to catch up Jason

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I am acquainted with the time problem. As long as you can make progress from time to time it's alright. Difficulties arise when the build turns stagnant ... looks good, I like the black at the bottom of the structures, makes them seem to float above the decks

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

... and some more progress:

HCi146l.jpg

I'm jumping back and forth between the main control tower and the aft upper superstructure; on the tower I replaced the portholes with smaller ones (to better match the real ship) and and am working on getting the pieces ready for PE:

zKil1ta.jpg

u7b7QR1.jpg

On the aft superstructure I finished cleanup and got the deck installed:

Unfortunately like the rest of this deck, fit sucks and the deck was printed wrong, leaving it a little lopsided and the edges a mess:

rCN1yyD.jpg

OKph6TX.jpg

There's nothing I can do about the bad printing but (like the rest of the deck) I mitigated the poor fit by lining the deck with styrene strip. 

ZFwiphi.jpg

I'm glad to be almost done with Scaledecks... such a cool idea but it was poorly executed and in hindsight I probably should have got my money back or asked for a replacement that wasn't messed up. Anyway, other than the little top layer, this piece is ready for photo etch. 

Edited by channell

Excellent historical build, love the wooden deck and your attention to details. :cheers:

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Another quick update... I'm focusing attention on the aft upper superstructure lately. Some might question the practice of scraping off perfectly good molded detail only to replace it with tiny brass bits but I assure you, I am not insane. OK, OK... maybe just a little bit.  :piratetongueor4: 

Anyway, all the decks are installed and masked, tiny holes are drilled for bar steps and the photetch is going on. Tedious work as like the main superstructure level, there is A LOT of it. 

XE6pVb4.jpg

ZnY1L44.jpg

Oo2ZsCh.jpg

There's some debate on whether the aft section of the upper deck here was metal or planking; I decided to join the metal camp. Two flak guns would later be placed here but near as I can tell they weren't installed yet for my build's timeframe so I'm leaving them out. 

TCS75wV.jpg

Edited by channell

Looking great, Channell.  I have to say that if you're insane, then all the rest of us are also.;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looking great, Channell.  I have to say that if you're insane, then all the rest of us are also.;)

Thanks! :)

I appreciate all the interest and feedback on this build... It's a huge project and I can use all the positive reinforcement I can get! 

Edited by channell

great save on the deck problem......when it's finished,  I don't think it will be noticeable at all :)   ...not with all THAT extra detail :D ........looks awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

nocTQUp.jpg

Made some more progress this weekend, got the rear superstructure PE all done and painted:

jGxgzw2.jpg

unqfhnZ.jpg

ME3zOth.jpg

Something I did that I don't see many other Bismarck builders do is paint the roof of the main hangar in dark grey (the same color as most all steel deck areas of the ship). I decided to do it because you can see it was painted likewise on the actual wreck... makes sense as this area would be walked around on to access the smaller boats that will eventually take residence here. I also put a huge amount of tedious work in on the many PE vents here; they were a bear to complete but look good. Here's the scariest one before installation:

dYKvSpc.jpg

Anyway, there will be some touch-up to do still on this section but the next project is going to be the funnel and forward hangars. After that I'll return to do the smaller details such as the guns, railings/stairs and storage boxes that litter the superstructure. 

Ya know? - just spectacular!  I haven't read this log in detail, yet, but I will.  Who doesn't love an awesome Bismarck?  The decking is particularly good, but does not outshine any of the other excellent detail work. I will follow along with great interest.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone... long time, no see. I got burned out again and took a couple years break, I figure since this thread had dragged on so long I might as well. :piratetongueor4:

Anyway, my other hobby is getting boring now so I'm back to working on Bissy; thought y'all might be interested in seeing what's going on. 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/hz8BPdy.jpg[/img]

Picking up pretty much where I left off last time but in a new hobby room; this weekend I mostly worked on guns:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Dz22dtD.jpg[/img]

finished up the small deck area (minus some firehose rolls)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lNxuRCy.jpg[/img]

Replacing the kit Flak guns with these awesome Veteran models versions, each one is it's own little kit as usual.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/u6Gcv3o.jpg[/img]

After assembly and ready for paint

[img]https://i.imgur.com/QST7AKc.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/MHuZmRN.jpg[/img]

A preview things to come...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LIs1Rhx.jpg[/img]

...and back in the box for safekeeping before they finally get installed. 

Thanks for looking! 

Edited by channell

Same with me  - just the links but no pics.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Had to follow each link one at a time but I can't believe how crisp everything is even in super zoom. Makes me feel like I'm walking the 5.9" gundeck while they are being installed. Very clean and crisp work. Looking forward to even more.  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

lovely to see you back and posting, build is stunning

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat