Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Exemplary work mate!!She looks incredible.I did wonder what you were going to do with the plastic lids.I have only seen a pic of them in the catalogue and that shows the inside face.I wondered whether you would plank the outside face and you have answered my question B)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Really like the look you're getting on your ship Matti, very realistic look, nice job!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I like the way you have the gun ports as well. having them even, is an aesthetic way of showing them. it does lend a more life-like look to the ship.....she's a beauty! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hola Matti, the gun ports look very nice and as you mention, they look much more natural. Probably I will copy you in this matter  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:​  

I would like to add that the reason why I started with the placement of chainboards and deadeyes before installing the gunports was because some of them (open) lay exactly in front of the chains and placing them afterwards would be complicated.  But with your solution this will be no problem.  Nice!!

Saludos, Karl

I would give consideration to adding the railing Matti until much later.Having seen how thin it is,personally I would leave it off for a long as you can.You could make it up on the model while you have plenty of working room to be fitted later on.If it is feasible to install the completed railing after rigging I would do it then,but how easy it would be to feed in with the ropes in place I don't know.One thing is for sure,it would probably the first thing a thread would want to wrap around during the rigging stage.Threads may want to get tangled on your gunport lids but it is a fairly easy job to make something to prevent this,the railing not so.

Kind Regards

Nigel

It just gets better and better with each update, Matti !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I too like your decision to display your gun-ports as you have. If I'm remembering correctly Kevin on his Vicky was doing the same.

So many display war ships with all guns out and in reality ships didn't live a very large percentage of there life in that stance.

I can imagine a warm summer day and the ports being opened to ventilate the lower decks of the ship. Down below must have been a lot nicer with the cross ventilation of opening ports and grating air flow.

Although, according to the theories I've read she went down ready to fire salute and due to low ballast, sat high in the water and the roll caused the ports to become water inlets. Center of Mass strikes again, luckily it left her for us to see and research her today.

I also like your logic on the weathering as the Goth reconstruction picture you showed has that same look of weathering as you show.

Its good to see the trees in the background of your masterpiece stating to leaf out also, welcome springtime. :dancetl6:

Thanks for the kind comments and likes! Keith, I'm building her as when she was in harbor. I´ve finished the gunports. I'll wait with the messageports until later on. So finally I'm done with the gunports:

post-3739-0-42148500-1398197697_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-14612000-1398197704_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-37316000-1398197928_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

I think Matti you may be better of making something temporary like a light softwood frame and even just covering that in clear plastic film stapled on.You will have to lift it on and off many times so something a light as possible but still offers protection from dust is adequate.I know it won't look glamorous :D  :D but it will keep the dreaded dust at bay while you are still working on the model.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Love those outside pics. She´s coming along really nice. Waiting on your next advancements.

Matti,

Looking better than ever.  What Nigel said about a cover up is a good idea.  I've done a similar thing and recommend it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Matte, I totally agree with Nigel about making a dust cover for the ship. Take the opportunity to make it a lot bigger than the permanent case to enable you to take it off and on the ship without catching it. I'm due to start my Wasa / Wasan / Vasa now and as soon as I can get my daughter to show me how to post pictures I will start a build log. Coincidentally, the ship looks more like a log in it's present state I wont start it until I learn to post. Theres no way that I can come anyway near your beautiful build but your log has been, and will be a source of inspiration for me

Tony

Hola Matti:

I do not think you need the cover even after finishing the boat, especially seeing the environment around you. :)  :)

In my case is mandatory because the desert where I live is very dusty, but still in this case I put the cover only after finishing the model.

post-797-0-59368500-1398357079_thumb.jpg

Saludos, Karl

Nice picture Karl! Actually it's not the dust that concerns me, but the cat and everyday life with small kids. You see I don't do much building of this kit in the (unheated) workshop, but keep it in the house and grab it when I get some time. One great thing with this hobby (at least when building a wood kit) is that there's no nasty fumes or dust -the few steps that do involve them I do in the workshop of course. But there are so many hours when building and painting a model like this so no way I would do it in the modelshop. I would feel like a hermit monk and a rather bad dad and husband. The kids are really interested in modelbuilding themselves so thats another good thing as I let them help me when they want..  

But it's one thing having it secured now when its reasonably small, another when I start the rigging. A secure case would be great, and if it didnt look horrible would also benefit the positive atmosphere towards my hobby. ;) 

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Ahhh, that explains everything  :o  :o In my case my sons did´t live with us and we don´t have cats, so, my "only" problem is the dust.

By the way, and thanking your opinion of my last picture, we have besides the Sonora-Arizona desert one of the nicest bay in the world (named by National Geographic Magazine)

post-797-0-07538600-1398378272_thumb.jpg

Saludos

I hear you Matti about being a hermit! My workshop is downstairs and if I go down there I feel the same way. My model isn't at the point that I can have it around my daughter. To much dust and sharp instruments are needed. If I work on it after she goes to bed then I get tired to quick. Anyways, still loving all your posts!

Scott

Current build:<p>HMS Renown - Billing Boats

Hey all, started to work on the rudder. I want to make my own hinge construction to make it more in scale and more wonky like the original.

The original shape is good but had no cut outs for the hinges so I wanted to have them aswell.

post-3739-0-73459600-1398451207_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-11585700-1398451214_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

That looks great mate!The cross section looks like it would come in handy if you were fitting out the interior.I hope your rudder doesn't get eaten by the dog like mine did for Caroline :D  :D I don't think you have a dog so that reduces the odds considerably :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel