Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Its the muted/earthy colours that have converted me.

I know she was painted in Royal red, which was probably much brighter and garish for the FLASH of it, but to me that just looks wrong. Real or not I prefer the shades and shading you chose. You have an amazing eye for that sort of detailing.

I also think that furled sails would look amazing as they would be there but not obscure the detail below.

I also think the Vasa museum would be lucky to have you on their crew. If I recall correctly, this is but your first wooden build. Agreed, you came to the table with amazing paint skills, but that doesn't explain the rest of her. Some people just have the knack for the task and you are one of them.

Just think, you tackled one of the more difficult builds as a 1st attempt, and these are the results, imagine what your skill set will be with 2 or 3 more builds. Honestly, The only way you could improve on this build is if you had hand carve the carvings, but the excellent paint and time shaping each piece make that hard to tell they are plastic kit piece so really it's a non-issue when they are painted.

I can also understand your trepidation about adding the bowsprit, that changes everything about the handling of her.

Hi Matti

I didn't realise that this Piece of artwork is your FIRST build. O M G - what a wonderful start to this modelling. If I knew that before ... I confess all what I said before and add an "+++" - triple A :D

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Wow, thanks for the kind words Keith and Max! I've scratchbuilt styrene models before and feel that these kits have much in common as you get to shape it the way you want. This is nicer though, wood is more alive and the ships have such great history and art in them.

After carving a few sculptures for this kit, wich I really enjoyed, I can definately say I could never get myself to put the years into scratching a Vasa. All those sculptures would be to much.

Thanks for the likes everyone!

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

shrouds look great Matti......she gets better and better,  the more you add to her!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Cheers pops! In order to continue I now added the bowsprit. There is a problem with BB:s construction.  The L shaped parts making the bow strong are to thick, making the  room for connecting the ropes (holding the bowsprit mast) to narrow. I'm trying to reshape them giving some room for the hole for the ropes. It's nervous work to drill and cut in the ship now... I'll post pictures later of what I mean.

Anyone building the BB is wise to plan this area ahead of buiding it. Simply thinning the L-shaped parts down would have solved it. Well live and learn.

Fingers crossed I don't destroy the bow now.

/Matti  

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

I've seen that.........parts that are made {laser cut}  from too thick panels........makes the part look too chunky to use.  I'm sure you'll come up with a remedy for it ;)     looking at this build you've created.......I have no doubt!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hey again!

I've mounted the bowsprit and finished the ropes holding it.

post-3739-0-44698200-1411746899_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-43613700-1411746906_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-18614800-1411746911_thumb.jpg

It was lots of work as I had to reshape thin down the L shaped timbers holding the bow. Looking back I think it was good to wait with drilling the rope holes until knowing where to put them. That gave me liberty to arrange the beek head "floor planks" the way I wanted and then arrange the rope holes acccording to them, not the other way around. That said, I would have thinned down the L shaped parts slightly pre assembly to make it easier to get room for the holes, and this is a tip for builders of the kit. This way made me nervous about destroying anything...

I never was happy with the paint job on the lower beakhead parts, and this gave me an opportunity to make it better.

/Matti

Edit: I just realized that I didn't explain that the kit construction is with the ropes running "outside" the lower beakhead construction (wrong). Remember that I broke the beakhead earlier and strengthened it when repairing it. This made my beakhead stronger and that's good when doing this mod to the build.

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti that last image is just beautiful!!!... awesome ! work there Matti.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Very ornate detail. What a beautiful job on this beakhead!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hi Matti,

your ship is looking great as always. Beautiful work on the shrouds!

Question for you. I am at the stage now where I have to decide about the thin delicate upper rail system on the ship. If I don't think about it now or decide to put it in later, I am worried about being able to get in there after the shrouds are in. What is your view? Are you planning to add the railings in or are you leaving them out?

Thanks for the help and I keep looking forward to viewing your log!

Frank

Hans, I just added them. I´ll post pictures later.

Cheers Frank! I will add the top railing later, the BB railings are very fragile. I got the suggestion to wait by Nigel earlier and it is the best solution. I don't think the shrouds will be to much in the way.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hey all! Small update. I added the clamps holding the bowsprit ropes. I blended them to match the other wood, so they aren't very obvious. I also made the mainstay collar, trying to get it like the real one at the museum. Paintwise its washes and trying to get everything to blend and look balanced. I'm glad I repainted the lower area of the beakhead.

post-3739-0-07342300-1411919035_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-01606100-1411919046_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-99851600-1411919059_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-11500500-1411919068_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

very well done Matti!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Cheers pops!

I tried to take dark background images earlier. I don't get why the LED lights look so weird in the image. IRL it is quite dim and have a grey/greenish tone, as the windows are tinted. The camera pick the light up as bright and almost blue.

post-3739-0-13512900-1412239042_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-60362000-1412239038_thumb.jpg

Now it's back to shaping deadeyes and the metal parts for them so I can continue with the foremast.

Thanks for the likes everyone!

Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Nice Matti... I like the lights, I didn't realize you had put lights in there, it looks great!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

beautiful work Matti........I had forgotten you put lighting in her as well.........looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice one Matti, LED's always make the build that bit extra special.

She looks great mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I love the lights. Looking great, Matti. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)