GrandpaPhil

HMS Victory by GrandpaPhil - Mantua - Scale 1:98

7 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I found out that the entire lower bank of gunports (32 to be exact) had port scuttles.  I scanned the picture out of Anatomy of the Ship, rescaled it in Word and printed a sheet of them on card-stock

A44F9269-55AE-48A5-9D98-8DD86970C10E.jpeg

You have your work cut out there,   but respect to you for what you are doing, all the extra detailing will sure make a huge difference.

OC.

Seven gunport lids with port scuttles!  Making progress!

Seriously though, I’m learning a lot with this build.  I am taking the time to hone my scratch building skills for future projects.

I have several books from the Anatomy of the Ship series, including the Granado and the Bellona.  I intend to build both ships in 1/48 scale.

I also have the plans for the Triton which will be my next project.

0190096B-3B49-4EA3-8A70-0E76A0514D48.jpeg

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Which new color?

They decided after doing some research on her paint pigmants  that her yellow ocre is more of a peach/pink shade  than the yellow ocre we have all come to know,  and the black is less dark  more of a dark grey/black.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

I finished touching up the black on the 32 gunport lids with the port scuttles.  They are mostly ready to install.  I just have to ensure that all of the eyebolts are clear of paint.

This is a great build - I just sat here and read through the entire thing. It shows that you have a great deal of patience and resilience sir, which really does pay off in the end because the model will look a whole lot better for it. Reading through this has answered a question for me- I too am going to paint the ship in its "original" colors (black and yellow). I am sorry but I just cannot get my head around the Victory being pink.........

I did have a question sir - how are you intending to "age" the ship. I am a very long way off from even considering that for my build but it is something I would like to do too.

Kind regards,

Mark 

I am going to use a couple of dark washes and then use dry brushing to highlight and fade the upper surfaces to give the model the appearance of shadows, depth and age.  It’s the same technique used for painting war gaming miniatures (which is how I learned to paint).

Edited by GrandpaPhil

11 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I am going to use a couple of dark washes and then use dry brushing to highlight and fade the upper surfaces to give the model the appearance of shadows, depth and age.  It’s the same technique used for painting war gaming miniatures (which is how I learned to paint).

Wow, that is exactly the same technique I used years ago when I used to paint fantasy models. Many an elf, dwarf or even dragon was "bought to life" under my brush with this method. I never even considered applying this to ship building. 

Edited by Wallace

You losing that gun down inside the frame bought back memories of when I used to repair tanks. Because the engines were housed in the hull of the tank and we invariably worked from above, we used to tie the wrenches to pieces of cord so that if they did get dropped we did not have to pull the engine (big job!!) to get them back. Maybe the next time you are at it........

She's looking real nice sir.