HMAS Vendetta 1925 by cog, popeye the sailor, and RGL - FINISHED - Showcase Models -1/350 - PLASTIC

Congratulations Denis she turned out pretty nice and only attempted to kill you once.:P

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Excellent work Denis  really nice finish mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks good Denis, another for your collection of beauties.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

On 4/14/2021 at 3:50 PM, knightyo said:

I'm thinking safety glasses are probably in order for Popeye moving forward. :D

Alan

Or maybe a helmet, a solid one, Kevlar would work.... {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

what a lovely build Dennis, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nicely done, Denis. :dancetl6:

Maybe a seat harness to prevent your nodding off into the workspace. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

As an after thought, I don't think I have ever gotten so bored with a model that I fell asleep while building it. I do it all of the time while watching movies at home, but if you knew the movies my wife likes watching then you would understand.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

It took you long enough, so no wonder you fell asleep ... the result is darn good to, skipper ... only next time keep your eyes on the bild, not the desktop

Lovely build!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

I do it all of the time while watching movies at home, but if you knew the movies my wife likes watching then you would understand.

Oh I fully understand... Fully!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I often used to fall asleep on the bus home from work  - I used to do that nodding dog motion or fall against the passenger next to me - would often have passengers laughing at me - on a couple of occasions I would go past my stop and have to walk  back.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

15 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I often used to fall asleep on the bus home from work

I have had that happen a couple of times after having to do late paperwork at the end of shift that took several hours to complete before I could leave for home. One time it was when I had done 14 hours straight and the other a very full and adrenalin pumping long 16 hour shift! In my case though I was driving! :blink:😵 I made it into my house though and on the second time it was my Friday and I slept like I was dead for the next sixteen hours and still felt tired!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thanks everyone :)   the nod thing doesn't just apply to the computer,  it happens when I spend too much time doing the same thing.  I've done it at work too.......runn'in around all day working.......they call a meeting,  and they expect you to sit through it.   I've been moving all day....now they want me to sit....I call it stagnant ;)  this is why I don't sit at the 'drawing board' when I model.......I have to be in motion.   I hardly ever draw anything out....the only thing I've ever drawn out,  was the dance floor for the M&M boat.  I dunno.........maybe I should look into my ancestry,  to see if I'm related to Rip Van Winkle or something :D   second cousin to the Sandman...........Prince Valium {Spaceballs antidote}  :wacko:

but no......really,  glad I got up the gusto to finally finish her :)    toys that would try to kill you......the Puppetmaster comes to mind :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

are you kidding?!?!?!   just look at the logistics!

1503668260151.jpg.910068b44d45223c581413923b23c2f9.jpg

converted from the U.S.S. Jupiter........to this.......

1503662418980.jpg.eff3c8d7f8d689254d01359c6fab9849.jpg

this is going to be one insane model !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Trumpeter had a kit out in 1:350 in 2019.  it sported the full deck.  the new production is different......part of the deck is missing.1098955-29191-29-720.jpg.694efe4c6fefa2ce0ddc27243f037607.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

43 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

part of the deck is missing

That is because the Navy could never decide what they wanted the Langley to be. She started life as the Jupiter, a Collier commissioned in 1913. At the time she was considered a fairly advanced ship design.

In 1920 she was converted to the first US aircraft carrier and renamed Langley CV-1. This was when the full deck was added.

With the commissioning of the Lexington and Saratoga in 1927 the Langley quickly became outdated but continued in a training role until 1936. At that point she was converted again, this time to a seaplane tender, AV-3, mostly by removing half of the flight deck as you have noted. She remained in this configuration until late February 1942 when an ill considered and poorly executed attempt at delivering P-40 fighters and pilots to Tjilatjap, Java resulted in the Langley being caught at sea in the daylight and lost to Japanese bombing. Her planes and pilots never made it to the island, and would have probably been too few to late if they had. The mission was pretty much a waste right from the outset like all to many ABDA actions were.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The HMS Queen Elizabeth with the newly arrived American F-35's would make an interesting project.  That's an interesting joint multinational deployment about to take place.  It could even be an international modeling project.  One of you could do the air wing, one could do the ship, and it could then reside in my living room when finished.  Everybody wins!

Alan

Edited by knightyo

33 minutes ago, knightyo said:

The HMS Queen Elizabeth with the newly arrived American F-35's would make an interesting project.  That's an interesting joint multinational deployment about to take place.  It could even be an international modeling project.  One of you could do the air wing, one could do the ship, and it could then reside in my living room when finished.  Everybody wins!

Alan

You would have to supply the food and beverages Alan😁

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

that's the 2021 kit Greg........still looks like a nightmare to build........but surely to be interesting!   I got the Langley built in 1922 Lou......it was touted to be the first U.S. aircraft carrier.   it was sunk during  jap attack.........which is interesting   the Lexington was touted as the first aircraft carrier to be sunk during war,  but she was lost in may of 1942,  and the Langley was lost in February of the same year.  one thing the Lexington loss did teach us,  she taught us how to survive enemy attack.  I found this while I was looking for info on the IJN Shokaku....future build.

Why, in the Pacific war, were Japanese aircraft carriers sunk so easily compared to Americans? - Quora

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

think of the PE!!!!!!    Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!  :blink:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

you can pick up the 2019 production at Mega Hobby......$118.00.   it come with PE :ph34r:  sadly though,  I can't join in :(     the admiral told me that it's not because of the price.........it about the toys I already have in the attic.   bummer!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis and anybody else, read "Shattered Sword" by Paschall and Tully. A very good study of Midway from the Japanese side. American authors, but they used a lot of more up to date Japanese writings to flesh out old studies done immediately post WW II.

They bring out issues like Denis mentions, plus adding in the differences in training and operational doctrine. Very good read, mates.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

9 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

you can pick up the 2019 production at Mega Hobby......$118.00.   it come with PE :ph34r:  sadly though,  I can't join in :(     the admiral told me that it's not because of the price.........it about the toys I already have in the attic.   bummer!

You have toys in the attic ............Action Man, GI  Joe,  Dinky/Corgi  tanks   -  thats it  I'm coming over to pley😃

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'd probably build the AV-3 over the CV-1.  I love the seaplane tenders, and the 3/4 deck won't hide as many details near the bow as the CV-1 version.

How do the support girders look?  Just curious about your impressions of those and other details as to scale.  

The PE set for the AV-3 doesn't seem to include a wood deck like the CV-1, but not sure if the AV-3 had a wooden deck.  Looks like the Trumpeter upgrade set has more PE than typical for kits, but I think I would be more inclined to buy it if Pontos or Infini or some of the other guys came out with a set for it.  For whatever reason, the kit manufacturers seem to be a bit skimpy when it comes to adding PE.  It's a welcome development that folks like Pontos are coming out with full kits/PE -- as they did with their Soya kit -1/250 - so you can have a one stop shop and not need to cobble together upgrade packages, have multiple sets of instructions to wade through, etc.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well the shop sent me the AV-1 upgrade and not the 3! It’s ok as PE goes, I don’t know if POntos could improve on it really as it’s essentially steel girders the rest will come down to the modellers. This is by far the nicest Hull I’ve seen Trumpeter make and it’s not too big compared to the normal carriers 

89E8D1F9-549E-4C3D-9831-F09D0911D2A6.jpeg

Greg

here's a build of Langley as CV-1: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/cv/cv-01/Langley-350-kk/index.htm

he does some very nice work.

Ken