Mosquito B Mk IV - FINISHED - Revell - My next non-ship project

Masks are  off  - and more masking on,    the  mask for the Black  went quite well,  I gently rubbed the edges  so that they could not be felt, then I  did some brutal masking all over the Black  ready for the camo on the top.

OC.

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

While waiting for daytime and a clear day  - I carried on working on the  wing sections/flaps  and engine nacelles  - firstly  I cleaned up the seams  on the nacelles,   then I cut the  two part flaps - test fitted them, and  glued them together,   the idea is  they  have a center bar that allows  them to be drooped or left trimmed.

Here are the pics  showing  one of the nacelles  and the flaps dry fitted showing the two stages  they can be set at.

OC.

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

look'in good OC.........do light coats........that way when you remove the masking,  you won't have the heavy paint lines  {I hate it when that happens}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

look'in good OC.........do light coats........that way when you remove the masking,  you won't have the heavy paint lines  {I hate it when that happens}.

Its not very easy with rattle cans  - I found the surface primmer went on just fine, but the Black semi gloss  came out a bit  less  even, but guess  gloss or semi gloss is harder to spray  esp  by rattle cans?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

rattle cans have no control........it's all in how fast you make the pass.   sprayers with directional nozzles are the better to use.  the orifice can be turned from a horizontal spray to a vertical spray.  I'll usually shake the heck out of the can,  leave it upside down for a short time,  then go back and shake it some more........they set for long periods,  so you need to be sure they are mixed well.  one to the other......there isn't much difference.  the delivery is all the same ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

4 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

rattle cans have no control........it's all in how fast you make the pass.   sprayers with directional nozzles are the better to use.  the orifice can be turned from a horizontal spray to a vertical spray.  I'll usually shake the heck out of the can,  leave it upside down for a short time,  then go back and shake it some more........they set for long periods,  so you need to be sure they are mixed well.  one to the other......there isn't much difference.  the delivery is all the same ;) 

I also read  - to heat them up slightly  like sitting them in hot water  for a few minutes  - I have done that  hot water out of the tap  into a cup then sit the can in it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

Many years ago, DuPont sold spray cans of automotive lacquer paints for touch ups and general painting. The paint itself was excellent, but what I loved were the unique spray nozzles. They were so smooth and shot a perfect "fan" of paint. They were the only spray cans I ever found that were equipped with these nozzles. I often wonder why other manufacturers never used them. They were absolutely fantastic for control and a smooth spray pattern.

I hate to say it, but I detest the spray nozzles on Tamiya rattle cans. Can't tell you how many times I have had issues with their nozzles. Perhaps it's because their paints have set on the shelves too long, as you said. 

5 minutes ago, CDW said:

Many years ago, DuPont sold spray cans of automotive lacquer paints for touch ups and general painting. The paint itself was excellent, but what I loved were the unique spray nozzles. They were so smooth and shot a perfect "fan" of paint. They were the only spray cans I ever found that were equipped with these nozzles. I often wonder why other manufacturers never used them. They were absolutely fantastic for control and a smooth spray pattern.

I hate to say it, but I detest the spray nozzles on Tamiya rattle cans. Can't tell you how many times I have had issues with their nozzles. Perhaps it's because their paints have set on the shelves too long, as you said. 

Wonder if you can  pop the nozzles of to clean them under hot water?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

11 minutes ago, CDW said:

Not hot water! That will foul them for sure. You'll need lacquer thinner to clean them. Tamiya spray cans are lacquer, solvent based paints.

I see, I assumed they were  Acrylic  paints.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi all,   spent some good time on the mossie today,  I glued up the one wing after fitting the ailerons and flaps, then I cleaned up the seams.

OC.

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

yea....really not a good idea to stick 'em in warm water........the only thing it works well for,  is if your using the compressed air cans for airbrushing.   best they be kept in a temp controlled room.  ambient temp is also a plus,  especially if your using lacquer paint.   sometimes it's best to hold 'em upside down and spray til the nozzle is clear,  but I've had mixed results from it.  most of the time,  I end up having to decant the paint.  it's hard to swap the nozzles from one to the other........it depends on the type of can.  some have the tube sticking out of the top and some don't.......so when you fins a brand that has the adjustable nozzle,  it's best to stay with that brand.

when I did the Nordkap........I fell in love with grabber Blue,  but it only came in rattle cans......couldn't find it in tin.  I decanted some for brush painting and airbrush,  and the rest went for the hull.  whatever type of paint your using,  it's best to use that type of thinner to clean them.  for all this,  I use rattle cans for big jobs mostly.   always do a few practice passes before you attempt to paint......if you want light coats {which is best},  you find what speed covers the best.  I use the rattle can a lot at work.......Walmart in my opinion,  is the silicone king.  some folks can't properly repair a trailer to save their lives!  I clean up old repairs and paint 'em over.......not so ugly anymore! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ooooo a fly thingy

lol looking good OC

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

ooooo a fly thingy

lol looking good OC

Thanks mate   yep   - wont try it though  by throwing it out of the window.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Small update -  I  primed the  top side of the wing  and at the same time  put the  Grey layer over the masked section of the top fuselage  - tomorrow I will  start masking using blue tack/paper and tape  ready for the Green,  photos to follow tomorrow.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

9 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

wont try it though  by throwing it out of the window.

That is not how you do it OC.

You hold it outside the side window of the car while driving at speed and watch the props madly spin and feel the lift of the wings! Made many a trip as a kid more enjoyable for me. I could do it for hours and by the time I came back to reality, we were there. I suppose it was the portable video game of my time.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

That is not how you do it OC.

You hold it outside the side window of the car while driving at speed and watch the props madly spin and feel the lift of the wings! Made many a trip as a kid more enjoyable for me. I could do it for hours and by the time I came back to reality, we were there. I suppose it was the portable video game of my time.

Yep, I did that as a kid, great fun. I tried with one of those soldiers with a parachute that you got to throw up and they would float down,  he was last seen stuck to the front of the lorry following us on the motorway 😕

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Yeah, you learn early on that you need to keep a firm grip. I'm surprised that the parachute held up long enough to pull the poor guy out of your hands! The ones I was able to get were so flimsy that they would barely hold up to being thrown up in the air. Some of them even came with a stick and rubber band to launch them even higher. They lasted even less time. Either the chute ripped at the string connections or they ended up on the roof of the house.:(😫

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

To be honest I may or may not of let go on purpose, to see if he would go up!! For research purposes only of course 😉😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I think that those guys had a short life expectancy anyway from the time they were launched to the time they almost reached the ground! I don't remember any of them being able to parachute by the next day. I did have one guy who gave his all in a high altitude balloon flight though. His chute was long gone but I found him in the toy box and he was attached to the string of a helium party balloon and sent aloft.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Right then  - a bit more progress,   I  put the primer on both sides of the one wing,  then when dry  - aided with the venerable hairdryer,   I then  moved on to the fuselage  and gave it a couple of coats of  Grey,   I also did the same to the top of the wing.

After a  couple of hours  I masked up both the fuselage and wing  - using a combination of  Blue Tack for the edges, and  paper and tape for the bulk of the masking -  ready for paint  tomorrow (if the weather is kind)   also  need to  work  on another system   so the smell  from the paint  does not come into the house  - possibly  putting the  painted parts in a  closed  plastic box  till  dry  - so some of the smell can go off  a bit first before bringing them into the house.

OC.

IMG_0209.thumb.JPG.4105ffa0f15f7ade44312eb3d06ce2f4.JPGIMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

wow....did someone barf on your plane? :D    you could use regular typing paper........make you designs.....fold around the edges of the wing,  and tape in place.   spray directly at it..and not at an angle ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

13 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

wow....did someone barf on your plane? :D    you could use regular typing paper........make you designs.....fold around the edges of the wing,  and tape in place.   spray directly at it..and not at an angle ;) 

13 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

Yep  thats  - typing paper  cut into  close enough shapes,  Blue tack  to get a softer edge, and  red  painters  semi low tack tape,   Its a  Celebration  friends  - My First  masking job.:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

well then.........who am I to be a party pooper!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

6 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

well then.........who am I to be a party pooper!  ;) 

Will be interesting to see how the  green/grey  turns out,  the main issue seems to be  getting enough contact to stop  the paint creeping, but not too much so it lifts the paint  or leaves marks on the paintwork.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, CDW said:

The paint work you've done looks real smooth, OC. You got the hang of it very quickly. It's going to look great the way you've masked it.

Thank you so much craig,  Its very much  a  feeling my way  as I go kind of thing,   those tamiya rattle cans  for  model aircraft   do seems  very good  and leave a very nice finish.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

29 minutes ago, CDW said:

The downside to great paint is that the great stuff is generally on the smelly side. Acrylics are low/no odor, but you just can't beat a lacquer finish. Figuring out how to get it inside without smelling up the home is a challenge. My work area is on the far side of the house, so the Admiral doesn't have to deal with it.

We just have the one room  with a back and front  door leading off it, my work table  is also in it, so any paint smells  circulate around the room,   no were else to build.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Plan for  latter today  -   make up the other wing/nacelle  assembly, then clean up the seams  same as the other one,  then  couple of coats of primer   (good tip  to kill dust specs  - use  some tape to act as a tack rag)   then  the  grey paint over the top, set to dry  then  mask up  ready for the green paint.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.