Mosquito B Mk IV - FINISHED - Revell - My next non-ship project

Did you give the bug proper last rights?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Did you give the bug proper last rights?

Yep I said  #########$$$$$$$$$.........Out of hear  your history.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Maybe just call the bug bit "battle damage"... and paint a fly on the side of the cockpit for the kill.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Maybe just call the bug bit "battle damage"... and paint a fly on the side of the cockpit for the kill.

He's long gone now   - spray day number two  latter today with any luck   - just need those rain gods to have a day off  and  no wind  - also no  flying things please.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

He's long gone now

Probably looking for someone else to do his camo paint job. You were a little rough!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

11 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Probably looking for someone else to do his camo paint job. You were a little rough!

My next project should be  a fly carrying truck  - but guess there will be enough room for nats and midges as well.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I get that problem out in the garage.   to combat it,  I run a number of fans.........try to get'em before they get too close ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Right  - I got the chance to  lay another coat of Green  over the wing and fuselage,  then  let them dry aided by the hairdryer  - I then put them aside to harden,   I also  put a coat of primer on the other wing and stabs.

Then this afternoon I decided it was time to remove the tape and reveal  my paint work   -  Not good  I am not happy,    contribution of factors  lack of man shed or building area,  wrong  tape   (I should have invested correctly by getting Tamiya Tape)    Also  using  Tamiya  rattle cans  out doors in between  rain showers  and wind and bugs  - is not ideal  as I had to very quickly throw the paint  down to beat the elements.

The finish has left a couple of areas of miss match paint  - some scratches   and a hard ridge where the black/camo  demarcation line is.

Seriously  dont want to have to paint my other kits this way  as its just not  the way to go.😞

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Can you post some photos of what you've got...maybe there are some things you can do to salvage your work. 

I never realized you were in a single room apartment, so I now appreciate your predicament. As for painting, acrylics seem to maybe be your only viable alternative indoors. 

Do you have a fine grade sanding sponge? Tamiya sells a pack of sanding sponges that go from medium to fine. A very fine sanding sponge can knock down that ridge without wrecking your paint.

Thanks Craig,     here are the pics   - not sure about the best option for touching up the paintwork  as I dont want to have to re mask  the areas so I can spray the affected areas,   I could  de cant some paint  out of the  sprays into a small  glass  by spraying a liitle  - then brush over  the areas  but as thin as possible (not sure if the difference will show between spraying and  hand brushing)   I have some 800 wet and dry  - some well used pieces that I could try  but have nothing finer.

Here's  the pics  -

OC.

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hmmm...800 might be too coarse. You could maybe try it in the most inconspicuous areas first just to see if will help. If you do, make sure to do it very lightly, wet. Water provides some lubrication and helps avoid scratching.

But I'm not sure what you can do to eliminate those scratches short of remasking and repainting. Brushing will show up for sure, but maybe not to an intolerable degree. 

I am not even going to pretend to be any kind of expert, but to me your camo job looks pretty good in the pictures. What I think I would do would be to mask off the Camo portion and re-shoot the black. Another thing I have found in doing my Huey, or should I say redoing, is that Windex, (Window cleaner with ammonia) and a stiff paintbrush or even toothbrush are your friend. I have stripped paint that I have not been happy with so many times now that I have lost count, in order to try and get it right without covering the detail with paint that is too thick. Just a couple of days ago I stripped the entire cabin interior back to almost bare plastic and applied a new coat of gray and that paint had been on for weeks. As long as you are working with Acrylics you should be able to do this. No fun but it has saved the Huey from the scrap heap a few times now. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

48 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I am not even going to pretend to be any kind of expert, but to me your camo job looks pretty good in the pictures.

The wing will hide some of the scratch on the left side of the fuse for sure and I would not worry about that little bit of over spray in the green.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Brushing will show up for sure, but maybe not to an intolerable degree.

Some thinned out black would hide most well  enough I think CD that would be my fix then a future clear before decals to hide it.

Thank you for the help all  - really appreciate it   your intervention stopped me from binning it,    I  decided to attack the black first  - I  thought I had brought the eqv  tin acrylic as the Tamiya rattle can,  so I used my softest/widest brush  watered the paint very sightly  with  distilled  water  (just a few brush drops into the tin)   then proceeded  to apply some thin layers all over the black  - wide brush  with thin layers dried between each  seems to have helped a bit.

On the side where the scratches was  under the cockpit  that still needs a little light sanding  - I will attempt that  tomorrow when the paint has fully hardened.

Here is a pic showing the better of the two sides after the touch up.

OC.

IMG_0233.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

10 minutes ago, CDW said:

Hey, that looks great from here. Nice job.

Thanks  Craig,     its  still looks worse close up  (but dont all our builds under close inspection).

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So,    what I need to do  tomorrow  - is  to  work on that front area of Black under the cockpit (just a bit of light sanding)  then a  few more  thin coats of semi gloss Black,    after this has set  I will work tidy-ing  up the  canopy frame where it meets the fuselage and also some of the glazing framework.

Then a bit of a tidy up of the  front nose cone glazing, and then I may consider Blacking out the two  front nose side windows  - as I have seen this done (will cover up where the plastic has hazed.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

An old trick might help... use a bit tooth paste on your finger and try rubbing it out.  Use the abrasive type of tooth pastes.   I had to do that on my -53 and worked out fine.   A little touch up after the rubbing out and all was fine.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

An old trick might help... use a bit tooth paste on your finger and try rubbing it out.  Use the abrasive type of tooth pastes.   I had to do that on my -53 and worked out fine.   A little touch up after the rubbing out and all was fine.

Thanks Mark.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

20 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Im a bit worried about pressing to hard in case the windows push inside the  fuselage  as they were not very  well glued in.

But I have some gloss clear top coat  - could brush that in to give them some  shine.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

The gloss coat might work better then for cleaning up the remaining scratches.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

39 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

The gloss coat might work better then for cleaning up the remaining scratches.

I'll  give it a go  "nothing ventured - nothing gained"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Quite a bit more work today  - six hours at the table  correcting the  paint finish - this consisted  off  wet soapy  sanding with fine wet and dry  thats had its bite taken off by rubbing on slightly coarser  wet and dry,  than I worked on the  the left side front area  - first I masked off a small area just forward of where the wing joins the fuselage, then with my widest  brush  I applied a  few thin coats  force drying and light sanding between coats, then I moved a section at a time towards the tail  - masking where needed.

When I reached the tail I masked a new curve and continued my Black paintwork  six hours later I gave the paintwork a light  buff with a cloth  and  finished for the day.

Here's the pics  - including a dry fit with the one wing that still needs a bit of touch up.

OC.

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, cog said:

Not doin' to bad old chap ... actually very nicely done mate

Thank you for the kind words Carl,    its an adventure  high's and lows  trying to get a clean paint finish down,   building her  was the easy bit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

10 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

building her  was the easy bit.

Usually is with the plastic parts, until you get to the PE or painting it all seems to flow easily

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

16 minutes ago, cog said:

Usually is with the plastic parts, until you get to the PE or painting it all seems to flow easily

I think  what it is  - when the model is un painted stage it can get quite a bit of rough treatment - filing this/sanding that  without worrying about marring the paint finish, I have to say the way I have had to put the paint on has caused most of the problems.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

looking very nice indeed considering the limitations you have with the hobby, very well done OC

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat