12 hours ago, garyshipwright said:

You must of done a lot of research on what color's to use but curious mind's at least mine, was wondering why these.

Before there was synthetic organic chemistry , begun in Germany in the latter part of the 19th century,  paint pigments were naturally occurring minerals.  The minerals are the same color today,  so there is not much guess work about the colors and the pallet is somewhat limited. 

In their early monographs, ANCRE included a page with patches of colors.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thanks Jaager. Do you know which monographs they were. I have a number of them which I just may go take a look in.  Looks like you done your research and thank you very much for the info. Am trying to get colors that are right or least very very close to what was used.  Seems there is a lot of them to choose from which lead's to getting the wrong color. Thank you again. Gary

A great resource for “antique” colors is Eric Ronnberg’s Article published in the Nautical Research Journal.  Ronnberg is a meticulous researcher.  The article includes a page of color samples and Ronnberg writes that great care was taken to ensure that the colors were accurately reproduced.  Although the article is about Nineteenth Century colors as Jaager points out above many of the colors used in Ronnberg’s article were used in the Eighteenth Century as well.  An abridged version of the article, with full color chart is included in Volume II of the Guild’s Shop Notes.  Buying the hard copy Shop Notes avoids any color distortions from viewing an online version of the article.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Very first assembly of a brand new design for kit 13. Overall, the fit is great, but some areas need more work... (Baltimore built vessel)

Hull length is around 505mm (almost 20"), so quite a bit larger than Speedy

Schooner 1.jpg

Schooner 10.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

29 minutes ago, reilly said:

I assume That this is at 1/64th scale but what vessel? Thanks.

It is 64th scale. I will announce the name of the vessel at a later date. I literally only started this on Monday.

I think this is my very first American vessel I have designed!

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

(Baltimore built vessel)

The framework reminds me of the Pride of Baltimore and, if it's a Baltimore clipper, I'll be ecstatic! I love the beautiful lines of those clippers.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 minute ago, James H said:

I'm very sure there will be many, many happy modellers.

Oh man, now I'm even more excited! Can't wait to see what it is!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

22 minutes ago, chris watton said:

It is not Pride of Baltimore. I see no sense in developing kits others have already done, even more so when it's a brand new range. I prefer to do stuff that hasn't been done thus far.

Great news none the less. I'm really glad that you have decided to add an American vessel to your line of models. 👏

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Better to produce a model of a Baltimore Clipper that actually sailed in the early 1800’s than the Pride of Baltimore.  The current Pride of Baltimore differs considerably from the original vessels as the underwater hull lines were modified to increase transverse stability following the loss of the original Pride.

Roger

Whomever the ship is, we all know that it will be a very interesting and beautiful kit to build and display. Time for a lot of us to determine if we have room for another ship in our abodes.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Chris, you've got me hitting my resource material trying to figure out the lines of the new venture. The stern looks interesting to me. Maybe a small contest to keep us all busy researching American Clippers is in order.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Chris - what a brilliant idea for kit 13.  A two master, medium sized kit, with beautiful lines.  Assuming it's a Baltimore Clipper, then something from the 1812 war could be really attractive on both sides of the ocean and sell like hot cakes!

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

55 minutes ago, reilly said:

Any Baltimore Clipper design will be beautiful especially designed by Chris.

Their lines are so sleek and and I love the rake of the masts. Gorgeous ships!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

On 11/5/2022 at 9:19 PM, reilly said:

Not guessing but the deck configuration and the shape of the bow reminds me of the letter of marque Lynx. Re-named Musquidobit after the capture by the British. Any Baltimore Clipper design will be beautiful especially designed by Chris. Looking forward to seeing more.

This is not a guessing game!  But wasn't this the boat on which Patrick O'Brian modelled Jack Aubrey's Ringle?

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Hi Chris

Just found out a 50-gun 17C ship was actually built in Lydney Forrest of Dean called the 'Forrester'...she saw lots of action... 

That could be a great 'local' build not guess not much world attraction LOL

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Am now on my second prototype hull for the large armed schooner after further fine tuning...

OK, today I finally received my Alert premium sail sets (paid for and ordered back in May)!

Alert Sail Set – VANGUARD MODELS

I have put in another order which should be with me in the New Year.

Also, here at last is my Indefatigable pear block and deadeye stock (a lot of blocks and deadeyes)!, so these will be available when the kit is on pre order.

I will finish all Indy laser cutting within the next week (damn that's a lot of material), so all that will be left is to wait for Jim to complete the hull. As soon as this is done and have finished updating the manual, I shall release.

Finally, I invested in an A0 plotter, so was able to print and send Jim all of the Indy plans, which makes things a little easier for him, especially for masts and yards.

logo.jpg

26 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Am now on my second prototype hull for the large armed schooner after further fine tuning...

OK, today I finally received my Alert premium sail sets (paid for and ordered back in May)!

Alert Sail Set – VANGUARD MODELS

I have put in another order which should be with me in the New Year.

Also, here at last is my Indefatigable pear block and deadeye stock (a lot of blocks and deadeyes)!, so these will be available when the kit is on pre order.

I will finish all Indy laser cutting within the next week (damn that's a lot of material), so all that will be left is to wait for Jim to complete the hull. As soon as this is done and have finished updating the manual, I shall release.

Finally, I invested in an A0 plotter, so was able to print and send Jim all of the Indy plans, which makes things a little easier for him, especially for masts and yards.

All I want for Christmas is an Indy kit.

Glenn (UK)

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

Hi Chris, Baltimore clippers are rather lofty vessels, with the bowsprit and main boom adding probably another 65% to the length of the model. That will probably mean that, overall, #13 will be longer than the Sphinx... maybe 33"/840mm?

I'm going to have to rearrange the furniture here...

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"