HMS Snake by Vane - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Hi 

Vane are you working on these builds together or on alternate  days?

However you are doing it they are all looking good😀

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I got several kits going on at the same time. When it come to planking its kind of effective to do two alternatively. You put a board up on one… and then do the other kit while waiting for the first one to dry.

Edited by Vane

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vane,                                                                                                                                                                                                   Blimey, I can't believe how quick your building work is going. she's coming along nice. I love the hull work.

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Thanks, i really enjoy this part of the work and snake is kind of straight on model with not too much planning and thinking. I done a few misstakes that take some extra time but soon the hull will be finished and next stage of the building process will began.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Hi Vane,

I have enjoyed looking through your build log, l will have to find your others too. It certainly sounds a good idea to alternate between builds while waiting for the glue to dry. Your second planking is very good indeed, are you using wood glue or a super glue?

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes  as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Thanks. You can find quick links to my other builds at the end of the first post. I am also doing the Granado, Diana and Corels Victory. 

I mostly do wood glue. But I am slowly moving towards CA. It takes some time to learn and I am not there yet.  Lots of planks get more stuck to my fingers than the hull 😛

Hi Vane,

Your Victory looks great, l am looking forward to seeing the rigging take shape.

1 hour ago, Vane said:

I mostly do wood glue. But I am slowly moving towards CA. It takes some time to learn and I am not there yet.  Lots of planks get more stuck to my fingers than the hull 😛

Ha ha, l know what you mean, l had a practice with CA, but only on the deck which is much less challenging. With practice we will get there.

1 hour ago, Vane said:

couldnt figure out how to add a signature with my builds... any tips?

Sorry Vane l have no idea at all.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Here are some of the better buildlogs I have found on HMS Snake. There are quite many in the MSW overview but many abandoned so my advice is to check out these first:

1) Almost finished build by Beef Wellington - Unfortunately put on hold as he is building the HMS Jason

2) Almost finished build by Jim Smiths - Great build
3) Almost finished build by drtrap - Great build
4) Recently started build by duncbe - Early in the process, but really good planking!

Edited by Vane

Hey Vane. If you want to add a signature go to your account settings at the top. Go to signature and within there is a button to link you're builds.  

Finally, inner walls done!

Now on to a very delicate part of the process which will really be visable once the kit is finished: finetuning the gun ports and adding wales.

So i better dont screw this up.

20190905_144843.jpg

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a visit from the German Santa Claus... so I hope this will speed up the process of my builds 🙂

20190919_155025.jpg

This weekend has been focused on sanding and filing, getting the deck prepared for planking. You really need to put alot of work into getting this right and the question is what is "good enough"?.   

DSC_5203.jpg

DSC_5199.jpg

DSC_5211.jpg

DSC_5214.jpg

DSC_5215.jpg

The waterline will require som decision making again. Depending on where I place the ship in the stand the stern will go deeper and the waterline will change. So how deep should this be?    

DSC_5208.jpg

Hi Vane,

l hope I am not over simplifying things but is the waterline not marked on your plans/drawings. I have taken these measurements and adjusted my waterline marker so that is correct for both bow and stern. I then drew the line.

I hope my explanation helps, if l have miss understood you please excuse me.

Best wishes as always, 

The Lazy Saint. 

Made quite a lot progress with my Snake the last days and are now into the copperphase. This will likely take some time but after that its time to do some really nice photos in my studio. Now it start to look like a ship!

20191003_233202.jpg

On 8/31/2019 at 12:00 PM, Vane said:

I couldnt figure out how to add a signature with my builds... any tips?

So this is quite late, but look in your account settings. I took a screen shot on Mobile that will hopefully help.

37C0FFBC-6E34-4613-A54A-E04C2F6487F8.png

• 2 weeks later...