Glue to use for gluing cut sheets to wood.

What would be a good glue to use for gluing printed plans on wood to be cut?  I'm thinking rubber cement but not sure.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For individual parts, I have just used Elmers Glue Stick. But it might not be practical for a large area.

Just another thought, why wouldn't plane old flour and water work?

Or wouldn't the white paste we would use in school work?

RussR

Edited by RussR
add something

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Does the glue stick leave a residue?   I think that last time I used glue for the plans, I used acetone as wipe to remove it.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There are spray adhesives similar to rubber cement that work great.  Elmer's makes one - Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and art stores have it.  Any water based glue or such will distort the paper.  This has been discussed at length here - a search might yield specifics.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks Kurt. I'll give myself a facepalm for not searching first.  And maybe a 10 minute out time in the corner.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, initially I used the 3M spray glue, both the repositioning and permanent. Very expensive, messy and not too good. I then tried the ordinary children stick glue (Pritt this side of the pond) and haven't looked back. The paper can be peeled off or gently scraped off later. It is water soluble but does not penetrate the wood at all. If water is used to remove the paper it may need very light sanding to remove the sticky glue residue. I never had problems with distortion but indeed too much glue will wet the paper. Not needed as it is very strong.

One of the advantages is that the paper sticks well. With the sprays, the edges were lifting when scroll sawing with dust getting underneath and the paper would half come off

I bought three sticks for £2 last week!

I still prefer to print (or make a copy) onto full sheet size (8.5X11) label paper and then cut out the individual parts on the paper,  peel off the backing and apply it to the wood.  No stretching or distortion and easy to scrape and sand the paper off the wood once the piece is done.   Avery brand is good by pricey.  Store brand from Staples in the US is much less expensive. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I like the cheap glue sticks.  I get a four pack at the Dollar Tree.  They work great for glueing plans to wood.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

What works for me is a good quality rubber cement - Best Test is what I prefer.  The trick is to use a very liberal and full coverage coat on both surfaces.

Let it dry a bit and then stick.  this method does not favor further adjustment, so a careful aim is needed. The solvent is volatile and the cement can get

too thick, so I have a quart of the solvent Bestine (n-hepane) and use a pipette to add small volumes to keep the cement at the correct viscosity. 

I work from a 120ml applicator cap bottle, but buy it in quarts.

I cut out the frame timbers for USS Vincennes in 2015 and the patterns are still stuck fast to the pieces - waiting for assembly into frames.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Mark I'm with Vaddoc glue sticks like pritt  are good, clean off easy and stick well 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I like Allan's idea and if I have cut anything bigger than I can laser, I'll give that try.  I ended up with a small can of "Spray Mount" from Scotch brand after speaking with the sale person at the local office supply house.  It's holding fine and when I'm done, a bit acetone should clean the wood up nicely for gluing bulkheads, etc.   I think this is the only time I'll have to use it as I can laser the bulkheads (whew!) as I'm not the best scroll saw operator.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I have been using glue-sticks (Pritt, Uhu, etc.) on wood, metal and acrylics. Good for small parts, as the application is not messy.

Photo mounting spray cement and similar have to be used in well-ventilated rooms and you have to protect the work surface from over-spray. Not really worth the effort, if you deal with drawings smaller than say A5.

For larger drawings, the glue-stick dries too fast and you would have to apply it in stages, which may lead to distortions. Here, the mounting spray may be better.

One should have a flat-bed ink-jet printer with a height-adjustable nozzle to be able to print directly onto the wood etc. of different thickness ... ;)  ... thinking about this, if you have a suitably sized, but weak laser-engraver, you can burn the lines and then cut the piece out with the scroll- or band-saw.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg