Picket Boat by Turangi - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - Small

very nice work

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

I threw caution to the winds and went ahead and rounded the area where the chimney attaches to the boiler and am well pleased with the result, looks much better. I cut off the corners with a fret saw and then filed and sanded the areas to a reasonable shape. Turned out fine so I can still talk to myself.

I have finished the machinery and other bits so it is time to break out my pipe wrenches and start on the plumbing. I primed all the metal parts and tubing with some Floquil Zinc Oxide paint I happened to have. I have no idea if it is actual Zinc Oxide primer or that is just the color it represents?? I don't know if priming helps but it probably doesn't hurt. I dislike plumbing as I always end up with leaks, but time to grab the bull by the tail and face the situation. 

DSC_3191 (2).JPG

I just found and read your build so far. What wonderful work you have done so far. I also read you first build log and after that I can't wait to see where you take this one. Consider me along for the ride.

I made more progress and started installing machinery and plumbing. I applied tape to the deck and used a cut off corner of card stock as a square as none of my usual squares would fit in the confined space. The tape and cut off allowed me to take measurements and transfer them to both to determine a proper layout. I also cut the down tubes long so they would go through the deck, I thought it would look better. The tape also served to prevent splintering around the drilled holes. Once everything was in place and reasonably aligned I applied thin CA to the deck and condenser tubing connections, seems very solid. I'll just have to mind the boiler pressure so I don't blow it off the deck.  Next, on to installing the engine as it's lateral position will be determined by the propeller shaft. 

IMG_1834.JPG

DSC_3194.JPG

IMG_1836 (1).JPG

Edited by turangi

You are doing a fine job building this Picket boat.  I am enjoying following your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Moving along I decided it was time to attach the smoke stack to the boiler but was concerned that this would be a piece easily knocked off by clumsy me. To reinforce it what I did was to insert a brass pin into the stack with a corresponding hole in the mating surface, I also drilled several holes at various angles in both mating surfaces to allow the glue to enter and perhaps create a keying effect. Hardest part was determining the center on both parts to align the pin properly. I was concerned that PVA glue would not be very strong on the end of the stack as it tends not to hold onto end grain well. I mixed up some epoxy and used that on the pin and the mating surfaces forcing it in to the other drilled holes also. Probably a bit of overkill but it seems quite strong and I am pleased. 

While allowing the glue to set up I turned my attention to the propeller, filing down the rough areas and then wet sanding it in preparation for priming and painting.

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

Edited by turangi

Just caught up on this little gem, you've got some nice detail going on .😊

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

A few missteps of late but nothing fatal. I thought it time to make the pressure gauge that attaches to the boiler. The kit provided a flat round wood disk that the printed paper gauge is mounted on then it is glued to the boiler. I thought it would look better with a brass bezel so I cut a strip of brass and attached it to the perimeter of the disk with epoxy.  I then glued in the paper disk and applied a few drops of UV curing resin and it promptly turned yellow. I will live with it and ascribe the dirty glass to a lax crew member.

Next I worked on the tiller, jct made a beautiful one in his log so I choose to try and do the same. All was going well until I got too heavy handed and broke off the end. I tried a repair but was not satisfied so made a new one, the bottom one in the photo. Not nearly as elegant as jct's but acceptable to me.

Lastly I had left a bunker open so as to be able to simulate it as full of coal. I had put some scrap wood in the bottom so as not to have to fill it completely. I made the coal using aquarium filter carbon I had from a long departed aquarium. I mixed it with moderately diluted white glue and put it in. Alas I could see bare wood under the coal so I scooped it all out before it set and after the wood in the bunker dried I painted it black and mixed up more coal and put it in, I am well pleased with the result.

DSC_3209.JPG

DSC_3206.JPG

DSC_3203.JPG

DSC_3205.JPG

Edited by turangi

I have reached the point I am calling the model finished. At some point in the future I may add some detail such as tools, crates etc, but for now the basic build is completed and I am pleased. A few thoughts about the build:

The kit is my second build, my first was the New Bedford whaleboat from Model Expo which was a kit I bought many years ago and finally got around to building. This kit was also from Model Expo and a great improvement! The laser cut parts were far easier to work with and more precise than the die cut parts in my previous build. The photo etched parts were brilliant, very well done and required minimal work. The cast metal parts were clean and didn't require too much work prior to fitting and finishing. The wood strips were of good quality and no issues were found in terms of warping etc.. The Aluminum tubing and Brass wire were easy to use and appropriate for their intended use. Also included was a supply of brass pins and the included drill bits were a nice touch. The pins were perhaps a bit oversize so I filed done the heads as suggested when needed. Luckily I had a small supply of smaller pins that I also used in addition to those supplied. Also included was a supply of hexagonal plastic rod to make simulated bolt heads. The plans were very clear and well done, the directions a bit sparse but adequate, more photos would have helped but the great build logs on this site were relied upon heavily by me. The kit was very well packaged and no missing or shortage of material was encountered. My only quibble was the rigging material provided, it was quite shiny and didn't seem to be of best quality. I was spoiled as I had ordered line from Syren for my last build and there was no comparison. I used the supplied line to rig the smoke stack but used other material I had on hand for the rest of the model. I found the kit to be of high quality and was well pleased with it based upon my experience of one other build.

Construction was quite straight forward following the plans and instruction. All parts fit well and my only advice is check the vertical edges of the laser cut parts. Apparently the laser process causes a bit of a bevel on the edges, more pronounced on the thicker pieces so you should probably square them up before assembly. Almost all the wooden parts were glued using Titebond. I would occasional use CA for a difficult to hold or clamp part or a combination of Titebond and CA. I primarily used epoxy for the metal or wood to metal joints. I also used epoxy to mount the smoke stack as I thought it would be stronger. I reinforced a few joints with pins if it seemed appropriate.

In terms of painting and finishing I gave all wood parts an initial scraping or sanding and then applied a sanding sealer before final sanding and finish. As to the exterior hull prior to sanding I used cabinet scrapers to level them before sanding and was pleased with the result. I also used Elmer's wood filler on the hull and those wooden parts that were to simulate metal such as the boiler ends. I used Model Master enamel paints with the exception of the Grey areas where I used Tamyia Acrylic as I happened to have a bottle of a color I liked. I top coated all parts with lacquer for a bit of protection. I also primed all the metal parts prior to finish application. All painting was done by brush with the exception of a spray can of Testors Dullcote applied to the hull and interior areas. The natural wood areas were also finished with a sanding sealer, light sanding, stained with Minwax Gel stain and a clear coat.

The vast majority of the work was done with standard hand tool such as files, hobby knifes, clamps etc. as the only power tools I have are a Dremel tool, household power drill and I also used a small belt sander disguised as a knife sharpener to rough bevel the frames as outlined in an earlier post. I bought a few tools during the build and am well pleased with them. I had two pin vices that were a challenge, slipping bits etc. so I purchased a pair of Starrett pin vises, amazing how a simple, but well designed and manufactured tool can reduce frustration and make a mundane task enjoyable! I purchased a set of cabinet scrapers and was extremely pleased how nicely they worked to initially fair the hull. I also bought a sanding apparatus and it sure made squaring up parts easy. Another purchase was a detail sanding kit and very highly recommended. I had previously obtained a Veritas miniature block plane and has become a favorite tool.

I found this build very enjoyable for my level of non-expertise. Sufficiently challenging and with enough detail such as the engine, boiler, gun and torpedo to be a learning experience, but no complex and frustrating rigging to try your patience. I have probably bored the wonderful expert modelers on this site to tears with my long winded synopsis so apologies in advance!

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1954 (1).jpg

IMG_E1912.JPG

post-186-0-94997100-1363025198_thumb.jpg

Edited by turangi

Congratulations on completing your Picket Boat.  You have completed a beautiful model and I have enjoyed following your detailed build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Very well done!  I've seen a few of these boats both in person and pictures on this forum.  Your finished boat looks quite nice.  Also, your build log and review at the end are much appreciated.  I have the Picket boat kit waiting in the wings to start once my current build is finished.  Be advised, I plan to steal as many of your ideas as possible. 😀

I'm looking forward to whatever your next build may be.  

Cheers,

Jim

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

Looking excellent! Love the way you handled the boiler...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Excellent. 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

• 1 month later...

Turangi

I too am very impressed with your work.   I am particularly impressed with the time you took to really document your build - Excellent log.   It really helps novices like me just getting into ship building.  I am currently working on the Endeavour J class boat, but I have the Picket sitting on the shelf as "next up".   My work will pale compared to yours, but it will be a far better build than it would have been had I not seen your log.   Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Turangi,

Just found your log. What an excellent build! You've done an outstanding job. I'm particularly impressed with the hull planking. 

This is one kit I really wanted to get so I'm glad to now have your build as a reference. Thank you so much!  Unfortunately the kit seems to be out of stock at present but once it becomes available I'm definitely acquiring it pronto. :)

All the best,

Tom.

User: Havelock

Build Logs -> Current: Taurus-MS-1:64  -> Completed: Polaris-OcCre-1:50

Stash:  18th Century Longboat-MS-1:48

Turangi; very impressive build!! Thank you for the excellent photos and descriptions...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

On 6/11/2020 at 1:20 PM, John Gummersall said:

Turangi

I too am very impressed with your work.   I am particularly impressed with the time you took to really document your build - Excellent log.   It really helps novices like me just getting into ship building.  I am currently working on the Endeavour J class boat, but I have the Picket sitting on the shelf as "next up".   My work will pale compared to yours, but it will be a far better build than it would have been had I not seen your log.   Thanks

Thanks John and to all. John we are almost neighbors as I live in Elgin. This was only my second build so I am a novice also, I am sure you will do a fine job!

• 1 month later...

Turangi

I am somewhat new to modeling and just starting the Picket....I would like to thank you for taking the time to explain the cutwater trimming.   The instructions in that area (and a lot of other areas) are about as"clear as mud"...  You brought a lot of clarification to the cutwater mystery.